Short story collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I've been having a shuffle through my old writing and it has occurred to me that I've got enough stories to be halfway to a collection. Of course I'd need to write more and revise/polish the others. But my question is - is it even worth trying to sell a collection as an unknown or am I better off subbing them individually?

I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding--and this is all second-hand--is that unless some of your short stories have been published in high-end markets like the best magazines or anthologies, selling a collection is nearly impossible. Not that it cannot happen, but that it's unlikely.

So maybe the thing to do toward that end is polish the best of them to a shine and see if you can't get into some of those big-deal markets.

Maryn, wishing you great luck

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I thought that might be the answer! I'd been considering doing what you suggest at least partly because I'm writing a longer piece and want to get on the rejection treadmill early on to get used to the feel of it :p Also (of course) I rather like my stories and think there's just a chance others will too.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... agentquery.com has a "short story" category.
Dozens of agents come up when you select that.
Draw your own conclusions. G'luck.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
... agentquery.com has a "short story" category.
Dozens of agents come up when you select that.
Draw your own conclusions. G'luck.

If you think that means these agents are going to look at short story collections from unpublished writers, the conclusion would be wrong. Even widely published writers have trouble selling collection.

Go into a bookstores and trying finding just one collection by an unpublished writer.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I debated this issue last year and ended up self-publishing my collection. In my experience, literary fiction magazines can take a long time to respond.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I debated this issue last year and ended up self-publishing my collection. In my experience, literary fiction magazines can take a long time to respond.

Yes, they can take a long time to respond, but two years from now you can hear back from fifty of them, or not submit and get nowhere fast.

JimHeskett

Writers gon write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jimheskett.com
you might also consider putting some of them online for free. Might help build a name for you and draw people to your website. the peoples loves the free stuff.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. :) I already have two up on my blog though now I'm getting involved here I'm rather worried they might really need taking down and a good savage critting and rewrite before I let them back out there! I'm not good at the whole social media thing so my blog is quiet; so quiet you can hear the wind whistling through the words.

janfinson

Playing with Matches
Registered
Reaction score
you might also consider putting some of them online for free. Might help build a name for you and draw people to your website. the peoples loves the free stuff.

^ Very true. I've self published several, and I can tell you for certain they do much better individually than as a collection, even if you give them away like I do. I also feel like the reviews off of them will help sell my novel when I get it finished. Of course, that's still untested.

u.v.ray

greatest writer of his generation
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uvray.moonfruit.com
Short story collections, like novellas, come and go in fashions.

To a degree I expect it depends on genre, but both of these formats are currently very much en vogue again on the underground literary scene with dozens of indie publishers putting them out. I suppose most of these small presses consider what they do to be literary fiction. But I have noticed a large number in the noir and crime genres, also.

Other types of fiction seem to be fairly negligable in shorter formats.

My new collection We Are Glass includes three or four stories that previously appeared in the small presses, together with a majority of never before published pieces.

I have heard a number of theories expressed on the current renaissance of shorter fiction formats - including the fact that the attention span of readers has become shorter. It appears to be directly in line with the increased pace of life and the rise of fast food establishments. It's a theory, anyway.

The very best way to promote any book, in my experience, is to make one's self interesting and do interviews. You have to sell yourself.

it also depends on our own expectations. A writer is a fool to think it's going to make him a milionaire. The vast majority of writers never in their life earn even enough from writing to make it their primary source of income. It is literally one in a million who makes it.

So it depends how you measure success. They say short story collections don't sell. But to have a publisher fund putting my book out and then seeing it sell is, I feel, quite a success in itself. I see a hundred copies sell in a month and feel good about it.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if short story collections are a good reason to work with small presses and/or to self-publish. Both of which can take more effort than publishing with a larger house, and often with lesser monetary returns, but if you have a readership in mind for your stories or just want to do the experiment it's something to consider. I've toyed with the idea as I've built up my own string of credits and many of my short stories have turned out to share themes, setting, or other links.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
A collection can work if there's a common theme or if the stories are related in some way. You're right about it requiring a lot of work to sell, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.