Problems getting around on AW [using IE9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
It's the only site I really have problems with. Yes, I'm using IE9 and love it. Do not have the sams problems with other sites.

I can enter the site ok, navigate forward ok, but then it will not navigate backward. I have to click out of IE9 to go elseware.

Seems to have become worse lately.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tired using IE without add-ons to see if it works then?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just did a quick Google search. There seems to be a problem with IE going back on some websites because of Google ads. I would have to look further to understand the problem fully.

Deleted member 42

It's the only site I really have problems with. Yes, I'm using IE9 and love it. Do not have the sams problems with other sites.

I can enter the site ok, navigate forward ok, but then it will not navigate backward. I have to click out of IE9 to go elseware.

Seems to have become worse lately.

I.E. can't deal with iframes.

There's a thread about this in Tech help.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
After a day of no addons on IE9, I'm not seeing much improvement. For awhile I could not use the back button to go back, had to close IE, then open again.

Now I need to double click to go back, sometimes multi clicks, but at least get it done.

I don't know what iframes are. Is AW the only site who has them. Yes, on occasion another site will present problems but not often.

Example - I have no problems on -

Amazon
Oakland Raiders site
espn
MY MSN
MSN download center
None of the search engines that include BING and Google

Well I misspoke. Sometimes My MSN will do this, trying to get back from one news source to another.
But I still have the most problems by far on AW.
I have no clue.

So I'm wondering it it is the posting from various sources that is a problem. Does seem to bother EveryDayPoets (only on occasions) however.

Deleted member 42

It isn't addons.

It really is I.E.'s problems with iframes. Iframes are used to host ads from companies like Google Ad Sense. There are several such ads on AW. Other sites that use Google Ad Sense will have similar problems.

Given that I.E. is a less than ideal browser, the best solution I can offer you is to get a different and better browser. Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Opera are all better.

Using some Ad blocking software will prevent the iframe code from being loaded; unfortunately, I do not know which ones.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I successfully browse AW using various flavours of IE (8 at work, 9 at home, and 10 on my tablet). I've never had problems with the back button, but I don't use it that often. I tend to either use the "new posts" link at the top of the page, which shows you all the topics that have been updated since your last visit, or open up each subforum and thread I'm interested in as a new tab. Often I will keep the main page open so I can skip back to there.

There is also a "forum jump" function at the bottom of each page, which allows you to skip to particular boards without having to go back - and the breadcrumb trail above each thread is hyperlinked so you can go up and down levels within the boards too.

Browsing habits are a hard thing to break, and it's obviously a pain if you have to adopt different behaviour for only a couple of sites, but if you want to stick with IE9 then trying out alternative ways of getting around AW may alleviate some of your frustration.

Dorky

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what iframes are. Is AW the only site who has them. Yes, on occasion another site will present problems but not often.

An iframe is an inline frame. Think of an iframe as an empty windowframe on the webpage that opens up to part of another page, allowing you to see and interact with two pages at once.

I don’t run into this problem much using IE since I use the links around the page (page numbers, forum path at the top, etc) like onesecondglance, or I just open everything in new tabs (ctrl+click, ctrl+shift+click) so I don’t have to hit back for anything ever. However, I do automatically double-click the back button or pull down the back menu to get past ads when I have to. It’s become instinctive for me at this point, and I never really notice that I’m doing it. If you use IE a lot, it’ll eventually become something you do without much thought.

If it really annoys you that much, you’re probably better off using a different browser, like Chrome. I use Chrome in addition to IE, and it’s really good for all your web-surfing needs. You can even use (almost) the same keyboard shortcuts for most things.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
So here is a discription of my recent activity on AW.

Click to inter -ok
click forward to "poetry" - ok
click forward to "poetry critique" - ok

Click back to "poetry" - nothing
wait about 20 secs - click again - ok

click to go back to AW main page - nothing
wait about 20 secs - ok

Click to go back to "Bing" main page - nothing
wait about 20 secs - ok

Now if I double click to go back from "poetry critique" it usually will, but sometimes not.

So double clicking does help to go back through AW, sometimes.

I can give you this same activity for The Oakland Raider forum I visit and no need to double click or wait.

This is not a hard complaint. I love to post and browes AW's forums.

Giving up IE is not an option. I tried Chrome, Opera, Mosella (however it's spelled) and an assortment of others. Nothing like IE for me.

So will have to stop gripping and learn to navigate best I can.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If you have no luck with Internet Explorer 9, there are many other free internet browsers you can use to browse AW. There's Firefox, Safari, and Opera. I have IE8 (sucks), Firefox, Safari and Opera. I am browsing AW from Opera right now. My computer won't let me for the life of it upgrade to IE9. Windows XP's not compatible with it. I hate this OS.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Best way to deal with this is to navigate differently. Right click on the links in the forum and use 'open in new tab'. You can go down the list (either the front page of the forum or the 'new posts' search link results) and open as many as you like (within reason, eventually your processor or RAM will complain but I've got an old laptop and have had 20 tabs open at once with no issues). You can then read the posts and simply close the tab once done. No need for back or forward there...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I use IE9 and have no trouble at all going back on AW. Or any other site I've found, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.