Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: BEST SMALL PRESSES

Now is the winter of my discontent. haunted's Avatar

BEST SMALL PRESSES

Is there a thread that lists the best small presses? Or at least the good experiences of authors who've signed with small presses and are happy with them?

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Not really, because one person's 'best' is another person's 'disaster'. It's why each press has its own thread.

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Nope, there isn't. Not really.

A publisher which is good for one book might not be good for another, so it's not possible to create such a list.

I know it would be nice to make the search easier, but it's what suits you best, as Old Hack and Unimportant says.

There's a few sites to help with the search like AgentQuery, P&E, Duotrope (although I think you have to pay now.) You can use some of the Publisher's Marketplace site too, but you'll need to be a paying member of that too if you want more.

Girl Detective AW Moderator Stacia Kane's Avatar
    The easiest way to find a good small press for you and your book is to submit to the small press whose books you enjoy reading.

This is true with any press, really. If you've never read their books they're not where you should be submitting, and if you don't like their books or find them flawed--grammar, punctuation, layout, writing and story in general, cover art, etc.--then they're definitely not a house to be considered.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

permaflounced
    I refer to this list and then check them out individually: http://www.agentquery.com/publishing_ip.aspx

The list is a good representation of small presses accepting unagented literary fiction, as well as other genres.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin WolfeMama's Avatar
    If you have a small press you have your eye on, ask a few of the authors there their thoughts.
    Author of both contemporary and erotic

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Moving this to Networking, where resides the "Favorite and Profitable Small Presses in SF&F" sticky. If that's not your genre, feel free to start a new thread for it.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

Quote Originally Posted by haunted View Post
    Is there a thread that lists the best small presses? Or at least the good experiences of authors who've signed with small presses and are happy with them?
    What do you write, Haunted? We can probably give you some suggestions if you give us a bit more information about what you write.
    Steven Whibley | Author Website | Facebook