Hello all

Defos

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm John, nervous and pretty illiterate so entering here fells like a parachute jump from space. I have been reading here for a few weeks and finally decided to post up to become part of your awesome community.

Im quite private and usually keep to myself so sat twiddling fingers on my keyboard is second nature however I have no literary background. I have qualifications in technical illustration and a degree in animation (3D). I enjoy many art forms digital and traditional. My love in life has always been stories. To my shame I have read very few books but started a catchup plan in the last few years. My knowledge of story telling comes mainly from film, TV, games and of course life. I love creativity and fiction but found myself reading more non-fiction in the past year.

So the reason I searched out a writing forum was to help me along with a story I started imagining when leaving school. Now 37 and having worked on it part time for a few months I have fallen for the process and places my mind takes me. It has spiralled into a monster and brought me to realise how little I knew about the entire process. So I raise my glass to new friends and offer to get the drinks in at the bar!

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Hi John, no need to be nervous. Welcome to the party!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. There's nothing wrong with starting writing from a non-literary background. I didn't really get into reading until the last year or so when I decided I wanted to be serious about this whole writing thing. My writing was okay before, but reading has improved it immensely.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

JWRainsford

J.W Rainsford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi I am know too. I know what you mean it all seems rather daunting. But it is a great chance to learn and meet like minded people.

Defos

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, from reading other posts you all seem slightly mental so I should fit right in :D

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Defos!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Aj Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aj-johnson216.blogspot.com
Hi and welcome! you're not alone, I too get very nervous in large crowds and am socially awkward. 0_o It's because we have so much greatness in our head that it just seems to spill out in the wrong order and on top of itself when we attempt to display it physically. lol

I was never a big reader as a kid, but I slowly started reading my later years in highschool. I'm not a fast reader, I've only read somewhere around 20 books or so, but I find that listening to an audio book while following along in a book helps speed up the process if you're trying to bust out a few books a month. Though it is less taxing on your mind, so it's like you're trying to bench weights to get stronger, but you're taking all the weights off and just benching the bar. lol. Anyway, welcome aboard! glad to have ya.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi John welcome aboard. from one tech nut to the next it good to see you