Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Basic Military Radio Command Covert Op

practical experience, FTW MariaL's Avatar

Basic Military Radio Command Covert Op

I need a simple radio command for a squadron leader to order a USAF special tactics team hiding in the shadows of a town to simply: freeze/hold position/stay put/stand by.

I've hunted websites of military terms, jargon, radio protocols, etc. and none of them include these terms in this context.

Hold position: directing air traffic on the ground
    Freeze - yes, but in an image of military hand signals.

I just want to be sure I'm using a realistic term. Thank you.
    Maria

Scribbler SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    I think you've already got it: Stand by. Which means hold position and await instructions. This would be repeated for clarity: Stand by, stand by. Followed by: Go, go, go. if the strike is authorized.

-Derek (who has read too many S.A.S.-type thrillers)
    Check out Bunneh's MS Wish List site!
    Agent "want" tweets and word wars!

Check out my story in Timeless Tales Magazine's Perseus & Medusa issue!
    My web page! | My Sci-Fi webcomics!

Well, that's a relief because it was my chosen phrase. I'm just surprised I can't find it in all these websites I've been checking. Perhaps it's one of those so obvious phrases it doesn't get listed!

Thank you.

While I'm asking questions: In the real world my characters would be maintaining silence. I want two main characters to exchange a few whispered comments to illustrate their relationship - close buddies, long history, reveal character traits etc. I do get them to switch their mikes off so these few sentences are not heard by the rest of the team. Does artistic license allow me to do this without losing credibility?
    Last edited by MariaL; 02-09-2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Another question
    Maria

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer BRDurkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MariaL View Post
    While I'm asking questions: In the real world my characters would be maintaining silence. I want two main characters to exchange a few whispered comments to illustrate their relationship - close buddies, long history, reveal character traits etc. I do get them to switch their mikes off so these few sentences are not heard by the rest of the team. Does artistic license allow me to do this without losing credibility?
    That shouldn't be a problem at all. Guys are guys regardless of whether or not they're in the military, and sometimes they just can't keep their mouths shut. :P

But seriously, that's not an infrequent or unrealistic occurrence, even when silence is needed.
    Latest Blog Post - Finally! (01-27-14)

Twitter

WIPs:
    Kricket's Key - 65,525/90,000 (Steampunk Fantasy)

Into the Shade - 27,849/75,000 (Military Sci-Fi Thriller)

"Abyss" - Sci-fi Short for Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by BRDurkin View Post
    That shouldn't be a problem at all. Guys are guys regardless of whether or not they're in the military, and sometimes they just can't keep their mouths shut. :P

But seriously, that's not an infrequent or unrealistic occurrence, even when silence is needed.
    Thanks!
    Maria

practical experience, FTW Steve Collins's Avatar
    When I was a team leader with SO19 (now SCO19) when a strike was authorised and the situation handed from survellance to a team the command to me from my boss was "I have control. Standby, standby, go,go, go."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm" - George Orwell

Thanks, Steve. That helps ordering this particular sentence!

Another question that I researched a while ago, but just got queried on by my beta so just checking:

I have designated the commander of the mission - Lima Six, as 6 is the number used for the leader (not One). Is that correct?

Also:

I was advised to use a predesignated code-word that covered: abort mission, get back to the extraction point (a helicopter pickup). I've selected "Bug-out."

How would an order be phrased to order the whole team to get to the extraction point? Any alternative suggestions?

Also, would the pick up point be referred to as extraction point? Landing Zone or LZ? Exfil point or Exfil?

Thanks to all for help!
    Maria

If it was aborted we'd simply use "Stand down, stand down, return to LUP (Laying Up Point) to prepare for exfil".

Often if we were bumped it would simply be "Compromise, compromise go,go, go" or Compromise, compromise, stand down".
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm" - George Orwell

That hairy-handed gent
    If this is a covert operation, orders might be given in code. Radio transmissions can be intercepted by the enemy.

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Six is generally the commander's number in informal communications. If they are in secure comms (and they darn well ought to be), known as green comms, then it's not uncommon to hear Lima Six or Tiger Six or Ghostrider Six.

If for some reason they're in unsecure (or red) comms, then they need to be following the SOI (Alpha Four Lima, this is Echo Two Charlie, Over. Two Charlie, This is Four Lima, go. Four Lima, Standby . . . etc. etc. etc.)

Oh, and never use the word repeat . . . use "say again". Repeat means to drop an artillery barrage where it just hit. *grin*

Thanks all for the input!

Another question please: Technically the 'danger pay' my protag has been receiving is 'hostile fire pay'.

Betas keep changing it to 'hazard pay'.

Would military characters use 'hazard pay' in causal reference to danger pay, even though the correct term is hostile fire or danger pay?
    Maria

Scribbler SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    Hostile Fire Pay isn't an invalid term or anything. Sure, it might be known as Hazard Pay in some quarters but I don't think you're obliged to use this if you don't want to. Other variants might be Imminent Danger Pay and Hardship Duty Pay.

-Derek
    Check out Bunneh's MS Wish List site!
    Agent "want" tweets and word wars!

Check out my story in Timeless Tales Magazine's Perseus & Medusa issue!
    My web page! | My Sci-Fi webcomics!

In the UK I've heard it referred to as SF Pay (Special Forces).

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer BRDurkin's Avatar
    I've heard of it referred to as Imminent Danger or Hazardous Duty pay. Never Hostile Fire Pay.

Sometimes Hazardous Duty pay is casually referred to as "H-Pay." But I've heard that mostly in my work as a wildland firefighter, not in conjunction with my military service.
    Latest Blog Post - Finally! (01-27-14)

Twitter

WIPs:
    Kricket's Key - 65,525/90,000 (Steampunk Fantasy)

Into the Shade - 27,849/75,000 (Military Sci-Fi Thriller)

"Abyss" - Sci-fi Short for Kindle