Happy July 4th!

 

 

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Hello to All!

  1. #1
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15

    Talking Hello to All!

    Heyo!

    Not exactly sure how this works, but here goes:

    So, I'm new to AW and thought I'd introduce myself.

    Hi, I'm Faith

    (I hear, "Hi, Faith" from those around...maybe that's just the voices in my head.)

    If you don't think I'm crazy already...just wait, there's more!

    I like Sci-Fi, Fantasy - like to read it, like to write it, like to critique it. I like it.

    I also like to read things that stimulate the brain. These are usually pieces that could generate conflicting opinions. I'll dabble in writing a few controversal pieces myself, but I mainly stick to fiction.

    A few random notes: Movies and TV, in my opinion, are meant for entertainment, an escape from reality, if you will. You won't normally catch me watching many documentaries. If it doesn't make me laugh, I will most likely avoid it. If it makes me laugh and cry in 90 mins., I say that's a big success. (Of course, this is vague, and I've probably enjoyed quite a few non-fiction things that didn't make me laugh or cry, but I digress.)

    Books fall into somewhat of the same category for me, and that is why I steer toward fiction.

    Video games are another escape that I employ as often as I get the chance. (Having a grown up job and other such responsibilities can get in the way of this, as you might know.) I wouldn't be able to name the most recent, most awesome games released, but I've played many of the Legend of Zelda games from the N64 all the way up to Wii. (It's my favorite!) Anything Mario usually strikes my fancy. I guess I'm mostly a Nintendo girl.

    Animals are awesome. They usually still love you even when you suck. It's a plus.

    My favorite color is blue.

    Wow...I don't know if there's a limit to this intro thing, but I hope I didn't exceed it.

    NOW! Tell me a little about yourself, please! How do we relate or differ in interests? Anything else you want to let me know about AW, what you write, the things I've mentioned...anything really...would be great.

    Faith

  2. #2
    Official Spokesman for 3am. Writelock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,980
    Hi and welcome to the asylum!

    Well, you asked for details so, I am a father to a young Mario maniac, I like fiction but spend most of my time writing non-fic.

    *waves hi*
    The artist formally known as "Ne".

  3. #3
    nurturing tomorrows criminals today PorterStarrByrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moose Creek, Maine
    Posts
    26,196
    Welcome aboard

    I'm not nearly as dangerous as all of these folks around here will probably tell you am. I spend some time on the green green grass etc thread over on the humor forum. Now, that place IS dangerous
    http://porterstarrbyrd.blogspot.com/


    We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
    Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown

  4. #4
    Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer BRDurkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lakeview, OR
    Posts
    751
    Welcome aboard, Faith! I write/read sci-fi and fantasy as well! I like blue a lot, though my favorite color is green. I was a N64 pro, back in the day I also like animals, dogs in particular.

    Hope to see you around the forums a lot!
    Latest Blog Post - Finally! (01-27-14)

    Twitter

    WIPs:
    Kricket's Key - 65,525/90,000 (Steampunk Fantasy)

    Into the Shade - 27,849/75,000 (Military Sci-Fi Thriller)

    "Abyss" - Sci-fi Short for Kindle

  5. #5
    The Anti-Magdalene KellyAssauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Off the Reservation
    Posts
    39,854
    Hi Faith!

    Welcome to AW!

    Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

    Questions about the forum software can be found in the
    FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

    This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

    Before you ask that Newbie question!!


    See if Katiemac has the answer here.
    and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

    If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

    Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

    AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

    Welcome to our community! =)


    -kelly-

    Fun AW social links:
    The Office Party
    Kelly's Soft Asylum
    Asylum
    What Genre is my writing?

    Literary & Misfit Writers Group
    Quote Originally Posted by SWest View Post
    Huh? What? Where am I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
    "It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

    Tears are peanut & helplessness.

  6. #6
    Trying to figure it out. Ravenheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    78
    Hi and welcome... I write fantasy as well. Let's see... Details. Love the color green but my husband is convinced my favorite color is red. He might be right. *scratching head* Our bedroom does border on that color. I'm a wife and mother... Wear many hats, etc. etc. Definitely a crazy cat lady! I'm new here too and still learning the ropes.
    Last edited by Ravenheart; 02-07-2013 at 05:09 AM.
    Ravenheart

    WIP - Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
    Currently at 48,056 Words & Counting (Maybe more if I didn't update my signature today)

  7. #7
    Following my North Star L. Y.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The 5-0 (cue theme music).
    Posts
    6,052
    Welcome to the Water Cooler!
    Write. Edit. Rinse, repeat.

    Edit with your head, write with your heart.


  8. #8
    And so... Tepelus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,832
    Hello, and welcome!

    Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
    Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
    When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
    Please Remember Me.


    My Blog. You know you want to.
    My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.

  9. #9
    ~Charity~ writingismypassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Illinois
    Posts
    935
    Howdy! I write romance and loved Mario Bros. on Super Nintendo as a kid. Not much of a gamer now, but I do have a Wii and enjoy using it.

    Welcome!
    Shards of Glass ~ Revising based on beta feedback.
    Rekindle ~ Working Title ~ 8,695 words. ON HOLD.

    THIS IS LIFE (My Blog)
    Sharing God's Truth (A Devotional Blog)

    And I Tweet.

  10. #10
    New Fish; Exploring the Written Sea Rbrown8384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Antelope, CA
    Posts
    203
    Welcome to AW!

  11. #11
    practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    13,519
    Welcome from another science fiction and fantasy fan. I, too, prefer to treat books as entertainment. Also, Zelda and Mario are great game series.

  12. #12
    Independence Day AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Liberty For All
    Posts
    44,346



    Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
    at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
    Absolute Write.


    Please read the FAQ about posting photos.


    In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.


    Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
    50 posts. Donít make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
    critique other membersí works, or join a discussion.


    Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

    Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

  13. #13
    practical experience, FTW Rockweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,972
    Hi Faith and welcome as you like blue the color of the site should make you happy
    NaNo 2014
    The Jewel of Andera
    EDIT... i hate this part.

    Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.

  14. #14
    Author of short stories, novel
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    165
    welcome Faith!
    *-*-*

    Blogging at Ellis Shuman Writes.




    *-*-*

  15. #15
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Neporsche View Post
    Hi and welcome to the asylum!

    Well, you asked for details so, I am a father to a young Mario maniac, I like fiction but spend most of my time writing non-fic.

    *waves hi*

    Hi and thanks!

    I bet that's how my dad felt when I was a kiddo.

    So does that mean you read more fiction? Do you write about being a father in your non-fic, or do you like to write about outside of your personal life experiences?

  16. #16
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by PorterStarrByrd View Post
    Welcome aboard

    I'm not nearly as dangerous as all of these folks around here will probably tell you am. I spend some time on the green green grass etc thread over on the humor forum. Now, that place IS dangerous

    Good to know...maybe I'll check it out.

    Thanks!

  17. #17
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by BRDurkin View Post
    Welcome aboard, Faith! I write/read sci-fi and fantasy as well! I like blue a lot, though my favorite color is green. I was a N64 pro, back in the day I also like animals, dogs in particular.

    Hope to see you around the forums a lot!
    THANKS!

    My brother's fave color is green. It's ties for second with purple in my book. Idk why, but I always have to include my favorite color in things about me.

    Super Smash Bros or more Mario Party or something else entirely?

    Dogs rock. I also recently found that I'm a rabbit person.

  18. #18
    Official Spokesman for 3am. Writelock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Faith_Cusgroy View Post
    Hi and thanks!

    I bet that's how my dad felt when I was a kiddo.

    So does that mean you read more fiction? Do you write about being a father in your non-fic, or do you like to write about outside of your personal life experiences?
    Actually I dabble in fiction, but focus on non-fiction when I write. I would love to give you a long, thoughtful reason, but the simple fact is, my non-fic sells better. When I write I tend to meld my own experiences with those that occur outside.
    Last edited by Writelock; 02-07-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Grammatical Exorcism
    The artist formally known as "Ne".

  19. #19
    If I had a brain I'd still be dumb thehairymob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,649

  20. #20
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
    Hi Faith!

    Welcome to AW!

    Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

    Questions about the forum software can be found in the
    FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

    This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

    Before you ask that Newbie question!!

    See if Katiemac has the answer here.
    and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

    If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

    Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

    AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

    Welcome to our community! =)


    -kelly-

    Fun AW social links:
    The Office Party
    Kelly's Soft Asylum
    Thanks very much, Kelly! I'll try to get some of this stuff done before I ask a newb question...

  21. #21
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
    Hi and welcome... I write fantasy as well. Let's see... Details. Love the color green but my husband is convinced my favorite color is red. He might be right. *scratching head* Our bedroom does border on that color. I'm a wife and mother... Wear many hats, etc. etc. Definitely a crazy cat lady! I'm new here too and still learning the ropes.

    Thank you!

    That's cool, maybe I'll see some of your writing around.

    My second favorite is green (tied with purple.) It's also my brother's favorite color. Wow...I just realized...I think some people would argue with me about that too. My room is done in red, black, and white. Interesting.

    How many children do you have?

    (When you say you wear many hats, at first, I took it literally and thought of that club of red hat wearing ladies. I'm translating it to be more of a metaphor, now, that you fall into many roles. I must've had quite a moment, there, if you'll excuse me and what's left of my pride. )

    I like cats, but I've never owned one...I don't think I'll ever personally own a cat. (Best friend's allergic.)

    Nice to meet a fellow newbie! Like I said hope to see you around.

    Random side note: Your username is awesome!

  22. #22
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Y. View Post
    Welcome to the Water Cooler!

    Thanks!

  23. #23
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepelus View Post
    Hello, and welcome!

    HI and THANKS!

  24. #24
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by writingismypassion View Post
    Howdy! I write romance and loved Mario Bros. on Super Nintendo as a kid. Not much of a gamer now, but I do have a Wii and enjoy using it.

    Welcome!

    Howdy!

    Romance and Mario Bros. Super cool that those interests can be intermingled into one person! I'm not much of a big romance genre fan, myself, but maybe I'll see some of your work around. I try to incorporate minor romance into my writing because it can be so intriguing.

    Wii is soooo good, because you can play a video game and be active at the same time!

    Thanks!

  25. #25
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Faith_Cusgroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the verge of reality
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbrown8384 View Post
    Welcome to AW!

    Thanks very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search