"Space Marines" Now A Trademarked Phrase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanie Dawn

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me even a little... ever since GW took on the more "corporate" feel they've slowly been going down hill. Hell the US president of GW wants to have Games Day in Tennessee instead of Baltimore.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Can this even be enforced, considering that, as Gilroy said, the term predates Warhammer and has appeared in quite a bit of media?

Based on that wikipedia article, they'll be going against Heinlen's estate... And the people who created the movie Avatar... Ew!

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that expressing my feelings on this subject to the fullest extent would involve far too many profanities.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
It appears that one of the dangers of self-publishing includes the inability to defend yourself against frivolous law suits.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Well, it's easy enough to *start* with a self-published author with no cash to defend herself...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
In their last email to me, Games Workshop stated that they believe that their recent entrée into the e-book market gives them the common law trademark for the term “space marine” in all formats.
Is there really such a thing as "common law trademark?" Did Games Workshop not actually register it as an official trademark as the USPTO?

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Uggghhh .... and this is why I switched to independent miniature companies. GW has forgotten when they proudly published pics of tanks made out of deodorant bottles and other companies' model kits.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
In their last email to me, Games Workshop stated that they believe that their recent entrée into the e-book market gives them the common law trademark for the term “space marine” in all formats.

Really? So because my current story has "dryads" in it, if I get it published, no one else can ever write about dryads ever again?

Seriously, how freaking stupid can these idiots be?!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, considering how Super-Hero is owned jointly by DC and Marvel, I'm not surprised.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Based on that wikipedia article, they'll be going against Heinlen's estate... And the people who created the movie Avatar... Ew!

Heh, I wish them luck with that. Actually I don't, I hope they lose their Shirt (tm) on it, but you know what I mean.

There, I used the word "shirt" in online media, with a capital letter and everything, so it's now my common law trade mark. :)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
This is just doubly infuriating because Hogarth is such a sweetheart. I mean, it'd be awful if they did it to ANYBODY, of course, but she so doesn't deserve to have to deal with this sort of bullying.

Scalzi and Popehat have both taken up the cry, though, so I'm really hoping they don't get away with this.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
They can claim all they want that they have been protecting the term, but - even without searching - I can think of dozens of instances of the use of "Space Marines" from the 90s and 00s. Anyways, it is about as generic a term as I can think of.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I tell ya, it'll be a cold day in the Warp before I stop using space marines in my stories.

-Derek

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Did Amazon even ask for proof of trademark or just decide to accept the Big Guy's word over the Little Guy's?

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
They took The Big Guy's word.

Really? So because my current story has "dryads" in it, if I get it published, no one else can ever write about dryads ever again?

Seriously, how freaking stupid can these idiots be?!

It works for the Olympics. Try using *that* ancient term commercially.

Status
Not open for further replies.