Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK: Same sex marriage passed House of Commons

That cheeky buggerer Maxinquaye's Avatar

UK: Same sex marriage passed House of Commons

The measure passed 400-175, which is a sizeable majority for the measure. About half of the Tories voted for the measure, and half voted against it.

The bill still needs to pass through the anacronistic and undemocratic House of Lords, but some say that with this kind of majority there won't be that much of an issue. Or there may be. I don't know. Trying to predict the Lords is like trying to predict tea-leaves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220
    MPs have approved same-sex marriage in England and Wales in a key Commons vote, despite the opposition of almost half the Conservative MPs.

The Commons voted in favour of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, by 400 to 175, a majority of 225, at the end of a full day's debate on the bill.

Prime Minister David Cameron has described the move as "an important step forward" that strengthens society.

Early voting lists show that 136 Conservatives opposed the bill.
    ----
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
    "Yes, of course we were pretentious what else is youth for?"
    ----
    My blog and site:
    Max on Everything

Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar
    Hurrah. And here's hoping the Lords let this one pass.
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.

Now on Smashwords

A floopy flolloper K.L. Bennett's Avatar
    Good stuff! The more this happens internationally, the more obvious it will be to those still clinging to their "American values" over here how out of touch they really are. Well, I hope, anyway...

Great news. Hopefully it'll pass through the Lords as well.

Should never have taken this long in the first place but hopefully this will be the first in many other places granting it too.

Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar
    Hurrah!
    2068 Series: On Hiatus!
    Shard Series: On Hiatus

Untitled Furry Thing: 65k/XXXk

The Bracewell Parable: Done!

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    Hip, hip, hooray!

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Tarnished Gold, a historical mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

Out to lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
    The bill still needs to pass through the anacronistic and undemocratic House of Lords, but some say that with this kind of majority there won't be that much of an issue. Or there may be. I don't know. Trying to predict the Lords is like trying to predict tea-leaves.
    The Lords -- even supposing a majority are against it, which is questionable -- won't vote down a bill with the support of all mainstream parties and a 400-175 majority, as they would likely be slitting their own throats. And if they did, the Commons would probably invoke the Parliament Act (1949), which would mean the bill becoming law after a delay of one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Priene View Post
    The Lords -- even supposing a majority are against it, which is questionable -- won't vote down a bill with the support of all mainstream parties and a 400-175 majority, as they would likely be slitting their own throats. And if they did, the Commons would probably invoke the Parliament Act (1949), which would mean the bill becoming law after a delay of one year.
    Conveniently, it apparently takes about a year to plan a big fancy wedding.

Out to lunch
    A concern would be if Cameron decides it's too much hassle and the fight would take up too much Parliamentary time. He could get the Bill withdrawn. In fact, I think that's quite likely. Number of liberal social bills passed by Tory governments over the years = not very many.

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Hmm... I don't know. I think he might go with this one as it's pretty popular with the public and he doesn't have to spend any money. So he looks good all round

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. AW Moderator Torgo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Priene View Post
    A concern would be if Cameron decides it's too much hassle and the fight would take up too much Parliamentary time. He could get the Bill withdrawn. In fact, I think that's quite likely. Number of liberal social bills passed by Tory governments over the years = not very many.
    I don't think he'll do that; it would make him look weak. (He is weak, but he hates to look it.)

In Time-Out For My Sins
    ... great news. But I have to say, it makes me a bit ashamed of my own country.
    Why aren't we doing something like this here in the USA?
    Makes the country feel like a throwback from the stone age era.

Cecil and Jericho AW Moderator regdog's Avatar

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

Will I get in trouble if I post a very relevant Jesus and Mo comic here?
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

Also relevant - the Guardian has a full list of how every MP voted. Mine was against. Might be arsed to go and vote against him next chance I get now...
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    It's great news!

Out to lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB27 View Post
    Also relevant - the Guardian has a full list of how every MP voted. Mine was against. Might be arsed to go and vote against him next chance I get now...
    Mine was against. Unfortunately I'm already unable to lower my opinion of him. Or change my vote. Maybe I should diss him on Twitter or something.

Mine was against, too. But then I already knew he was a twat.

practical experience, FTW firedrake's Avatar
    Mine abstained. I'd like to know why. As she's having a constituency evening in a month's time, I'm inclined to go along and ask her.

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Mine was for. Which is good.

i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    So...can someone explain why it's a UK governmental body making this vote, but it only affects people in England and Wales? I tried to look it up but I didn't really succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    ... great news. But I have to say, it makes me a bit ashamed of my own country.
    Why aren't we doing something like this here in the USA?
    Makes the country feel like a throwback from the stone age era.
    UK has had civil unions for same-sex couples since 2004. Feel worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
    So...can someone explain why it's a UK governmental body making this vote, but it only affects people in England and Wales? I tried to look it up but I didn't really succeed.

UK has had civil unions for same-sex couples since 2004. Feel worse?
    Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own devolved parliaments that handle this issue. Scotland will have same sex marriage probably at about the same time. Northern Ireland will probably take another decade to get it.

The powers over the issue are devolved to these other local parliaments, and the Westminster Parliament could - on this issue - be seen as another local parliament for England and Wales.

To even FURTHER confuse the issue, because the English do like their odd procedures and administrative orders (which is another thing to like about them), there is a local parliament in Wales. However, that local parliament has different devolved powers than the local parliament in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    ----
    ----
    My blog and site:
    Max on Everything

i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
    Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own devolved parliaments that handle this issue. Scotland will have same sex marriage probably at about the same time. Northern Ireland will probably take another decade to get it.

The powers over the issue are devolved to these other local parliaments, and the Westminster Parliament could - on this issue - be seen as another local parliament for England and Wales.

To even FURTHER confuse the issue, because the English do like their odd procedures and administrative orders (which is another thing to like about them), there is a local parliament in Wales. However, that local parliament has different devolved powers than the local parliament in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    So, does the UK Parliament have elected officials from Scotland and N.I. in it? And is this like in the US how some things are for state govt to decide, and others are for national govt to decide? You're right, this is confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
    So, does the UK Parliament have elected officials from Scotland and N.I. in it? And is this like in the US how some things are for state govt to decide, and others are for national govt to decide? You're right, this is confusing.
    Yes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21345322

Northern Ireland has 13 MPs. Nine voted against, two abstained, and two voted for. Scotland too has their own MPs. But right now, I don't know how many they have, and how the vote broke down.
    ----
    ----
    My blog and site:
    Max on Everything

Interestingly, my constituency is Milton Keynes North - Tory MP voted against. Milton Keynes South MP is the openly gay Tory Iain Stewart...

Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast