Happy July 4th!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Hard Hobbit to Break revamp

Hard Hobbit to Break revamp

A webcomic's like a blog, right?

Hard Hobbit to Break got a facelift last month. I moved from WordPress's ComicPress theme to the Easel theme with ComicEasel plugin handling the comic uploads. There's a cast of characters page now, I designed a new background and logo/header.

I think it looks pretty good now. There's still some things I'd like to do with it, but these things are a work in progress. Do you see any things that could be improved/need to be changed/other random feedback?

Site is @ http://www.hardhobbittobreak.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

DavidWClary.com: Keep up with all the other DWC sites here

figuring it all out Bennyjayruss's Avatar
    The general feel I get from your blog is that it's entertaining, and only caters to certain groups of people, i.e 'Hobbit fans.' haha. So that's a plus. The only real negative is that it's hard to read certain locations (particularly when the text is white on a black background), and also it doesn't look like a clean/organized blog. Maybe try to make it look a bit more sophisticated?

I'm sure that when someone is interested in the content, they will like what they see

Quote Originally Posted by Bennyjayruss View Post
    The general feel I get from your blog is that it's entertaining, and only caters to certain groups of people, i.e 'Hobbit fans.' haha. So that's a plus. The only real negative is that it's hard to read certain locations (particularly when the text is white on a black background), and also it doesn't look like a clean/organized blog. Maybe try to make it look a bit more sophisticated?

I'm sure that when someone is interested in the content, they will like what they see

Yeah... I am still learning the intricacies of CSS and getting color schemes right. Thanks!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

DavidWClary.com: Keep up with all the other DWC sites here

So, I spent about ten minutes reading the comics and navigating about. I have a few suggestions:

1. Make the header shorter and the text of it brighter. The fire font is really hard to read and the header obscures too much of the comic panels.

2. Get rid of the tag cloud. It makes the whole page very cluttered, with the addition of all of the ads on the right hand side and bottom (why so many ads?)

3. Maybe look into a better navigation bar for the comic, so only the picture changes, not the entire page. Loading time is a bit laggy.

4. Make sure your static image in the back is not noticeably being tiled. It makes it look like a 90s Geocities site. :P

Other than that, looks okay. The comic itself is pretty amusing. I'm totally lost, but it was amusing, haha.

“We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.” -Anaïs Nin
    “Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” -Anton Chekhov

Current WIP: 10,008/80,000
    Backburner WIP: 50,627/130,000

practical experience, FTW
    I like the general look. Do you plan to update it soon?

I like it. It reminds me of a website for kids books I saw once. Cute.