The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: CavenKerry Press

smart enough to know better

CavenKerry Press

Has anyone heard of them? They are located in NJ. One of my students has submitted to them (before my class started). No word yet. I can't find them on P & E and the website,cavenkerrypress.com looks legit.

Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Umm. Well, this is a bit of a concern.

CKP is unable to accept a manuscript unless it is accompanied by a $20.00 handling fee. Checks should be made out to CavanKerry Press and included with the submission.
    I would also not be much interested in submitting to a "Not For Profit" press. Unless, of course, I didn't have any interest in making money. But, if the press isn't concerned with being profitable, I can't imagine they have much concern for compensating authors for their time. Unless I'm missing something here.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Oops! I didn't see that one. I wonder if my student paid them $20. If they are not for profit, where does the money go from sales?

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    To pay their bills, salaries, lunches, transportation, etc. You can put a lot of items on operating expenses and still make no profit...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    From the CavanKerry Press blog:

CKP does not run contests; the $20 handling fee covers only some of the costs for handling, reading, and documenting submissions.
    http://cavankerrypress.wordpress.com...naging-editor/
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Just the facts, please
    To put it very generally: Nonprofit or not-for-profit does not mean that you can't have a surplus of revenue over expenditures. It means that any such surplus or profit goes back into the operation rather than to owners, shareholders, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JournoWriter View Post
    To put it very generally: Nonprofit or not-for-profit does not mean that you can't have a surplus of revenue over expenditures. It means that any such surplus or profit goes back into the operation rather than to owners, shareholders, etc.
    Right. But is this advantageous to an author? I would think not.

Especially since they seem to indicate that part of their operating expenses are paid for by potential authors via the "handling fee".
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

The books look lovely. The press has some good reviews and notable authors. Publishing poetry, however, is more of a fool's errand than publishing genre fiction. Very few poetry books ever earn serious money - so the whole non-profit vibe is factored in from the start.

As a publishing credit for a new poet, it's probably not that bad a deal, as long as you pay only that first $20.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

So it's a question of gaining exposure. Fair enough.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Well, my student did pay the $20. If she gets an offer, I'll let you know what happens. I've never seen a contract from a not-for-profit publisher, so it should be interesting. I've read her proposal, and it's great, but her writing needs a lot of work. It will be interesting to see what they say about it.

If it stays on the level, Donna, and if she lives up to her potential, it could be a good publication credit for her later.

My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

Filigree
    Possibly, but given the amount of work the book needs, I'd be surprised and disappointed if they accept it. I haven't even considered repping it, because it needs so much work.

Ah, that would be a red flag. Poetry has such little profit value that any mms has to be damned near flawless upon submission, or it's not worth the rest of the necessary editing and formatting that still needs to be done.

If they take it as it stands, I'd wonder. If they don't, but suggest some revisions, it might be a good experience for your student. How open is she to looking objectively at her work? This is something she's going to have to learn, the sooner the better. If the suggestions come from a neutral outsider like CavanKerry, she might give them some weight.