Not open for further replies.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I switched from a laptop to the Surface RT. Never looked back. I have an external wireless keyboard and mouse for use at my desk. The "touch" keyboard takes some getting used to. I recommend using Bluetooth enabled wireless devices instead of those with a USB receiver.

The battery life is great - I use it all day without worrying about charging. If I play music, the battery does drain quicker. It's quite portable.

I had already moved most of my writing to my SkyDrive (cloud) account and this is nicely integrated.

As far as Windows 8 goes, I don't have any problems with it. WindowsKey+D gets you to the traditional desktop. WindowsKey+Q shows all of the applications, including the control panel.

Full disclosure - I was given this Surface RT by my employer, Microsoft. I don't work in the Windows division.

I'd strongly recommend the Type Cover. It's a brilliant little keyboard!

P.S. Tell the guys upstairs they need to lower the price a bit so we can legitimately recommend them for this sort of question... :D

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Seems I'm late to the party. But I was going to suggest Thinkpad too, so I guess that worked out. :)

Lenovo seems to be winning the day so that's the direction I'll check first.

Remember not all Lenovos are Thinkpads. They have other laptops that are not business grade, and while I haven't tried them personally, I've heard they're not as durable or as well-built as the Thinkpads.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Seems I'm late to the party. But I was going to suggest Thinkpad too, so I guess that worked out. :)

Remember not all Lenovos are Thinkpads. They have other laptops that are not business grade, and while I haven't tried them personally, I've heard they're not as durable or as well-built as the Thinkpads.
I'm going to second this, I owned a regular Lenovo and the keyboard layout was different. It was not Thinkpad grade, it is important to keep this in mind.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Just to pop in here... The "Thinkpad Grade" Lenovo's are the Thinkpad X, T, and W series. Other Thinkpads are somewhere between the old "high quality" standard and the consumer standard.

I have a Thinkpad x230 and it has been the best little laptop I've ever owned. Great keyboard, fast, wonderful screen, and small/light so I can carry it around.

The x220 is also a fine machine, though the x230 is the newer model.

Both can be found regularly on the Lenovo Outlet for a largely discounted price. Often they are refurbs there, but sometimes you find a brand new one at a discount (someone cancelled their order, etc.).

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.