Greetings from New York!

A.L Covington

I have no idea what I'm doing...
Registered
Reaction score
After lurking for a few days I broke down and joined AW to get advice and converse with like minds.

A little about me:

I am a female writer who has been interested in the craft since age six, so a little under eighteen years (I am 24 currently). My mother is also a writer, and never fails to tell me daily that I should, "Totally publish something some day."

My preferred writing genre is YA Urban Fantasy, but I also love Paranormal, Sci-Fi, Horror,General Fiction, and Biography (weird mix, eh)?

Right now I am actively working on an Urban Fantasy piece that has been haunting me for two years, with plans to finish it by year's end.

I like classic rock, good wine, dogs, and cooking.

I look forward to talking to and getting to know everyone here!

TWallace

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy & Welcome. I love that your interests are wide and varying. I do have a naive question...genres are often ambiguous so what is an Urban Fantasy?
Please allow this one stupid amnesty question. Thanks

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to meet you. Once we have you firmly in our clutches, good luck on escaping.

Maryn, who no longer tries to leave

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow New Yorker with similar interests! (Well not YA, but cooking wine, dogs, and classic rock.)

*waves*

amandakelley

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome to AW! I wish my mother would say something like that to me, normally she just kind of nods when I'm talking about writing because she's not a big reader.

How far are you in your Urban Fantasy piece right now? I just started a new YA that is a planned trilogy at the end of November. I'll be done with the rough draft soon and start working on an outline and then re-writing. I'm still trying to figure out if it's more of an urban fantasy, or a paranormal romance.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

A.L Covington

Registered
Reaction score
:)

Howdy & Welcome. I love that your interests are wide and varying. I do have a naive question...genres are often ambiguous so what is an Urban Fantasy?
Please allow this one stupid amnesty question. Thanks

I'm going to use a Wiki quote to answer your question only because I am in the midst of cleaning my gross apartment right now.

Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods, as well as fictional settings. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city.

I usually stick with contemporary times.

Btw, there are no stupid questions.

A.L Covington

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome to AW! I wish my mother would say something like that to me, normally she just kind of nods when I'm talking about writing because she's not a big reader.

How far are you in your Urban Fantasy piece right now? I just started a new YA that is a planned trilogy at the end of November. I'll be done with the rough draft soon and start working on an outline and then re-writing. I'm still trying to figure out if it's more of an urban fantasy, or a paranormal romance.

Thanks! You should try getting her into reading! My mom doesn't read my type of fiction, and I'm sure if she knew what I'm working on she'd shake her head and call me crazy.

I'm only about 25,000 words in. I had to learn the wonderful art of getting it down and not editing as I go. It has helped a lot.

Wow, I wish I were done already and onto the re-writing stage. That's great! I know paranormal romance is mostly romance with supernatural themes, and urban fantasy is the opposite (if it includes romance, that is). Think Kim Harrison. She scatters romance in, but for the most part is categorized under UF.

A.L Covington

Registered
Reaction score
Btw, thanks everyone for being so welcoming! It's very hard to find people who care to listen to me ramble on about world building and characterization. Lol.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, those people are just silly-heads. World-building is fun and fascinating. Although it bugs me that my grasp of science is so weak I'm always having to ask our kids questions on whether something is possible.

Maryn, who can out-spell them

A.L Covington

Registered
Reaction score
Well, those people are just silly-heads. World-building is fun and fascinating. Although it bugs me that my grasp of science is so weak I'm always having to ask our kids questions on whether something is possible.

Maryn, who can out-spell them

I completely understand! My magic has a strong foundation in science (I have no idea why I did this to myself)! I absolutely hated science in high school, so I'm finding ways to work around it. I have plenty of friends who are in love with chemistry, biology, and physics. I pretty much bother them constantly whenever I get stuck.
It's good to have overtly 'nerdy' friends. :)

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new as well, but don't worry, they seem like a friendly bunch.

:nothing

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi A.L!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I like a good urban fantasy. Sci-fi, too.

amandakelley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! You should try getting her into reading! My mom doesn't read my type of fiction, and I'm sure if she knew what I'm working on she'd shake her head and call me crazy.

I'm only about 25,000 words in. I had to learn the wonderful art of getting it down and not editing as I go. It has helped a lot.

Wow, I wish I were done already and onto the re-writing stage. That's great! I know paranormal romance is mostly romance with supernatural themes, and urban fantasy is the opposite (if it includes romance, that is). Think Kim Harrison. She scatters romance in, but for the most part is categorized under UF.

I've tried SO much! I think I've seen her read about five books in the last ten years. She went through a spurt where she was reading a bit, but then it just...died.

Ah, yes. I'm learning that as well! It drives me crazy looking at it right now. I'm doing this new thing where I just write on the way through and let it flow out and don't worry about too much research that will slow me down and not too much detail or editing. I just write.

I'll go back after this first draft is done and see what I want to keep and what I don't want to and what I want to add and so forth and create a full outline based on it with notes and then rewrite the entire thing. And then the third draft will be revisions and edits and other things.

Yeah, that's how mine is right now. And I always have romance in mine. ALWAYS. What's a good story without romance? :p