Getting Started in Comedy Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
For years I have been interested in doing comedy, but have not tried because of fear. But now I am feeling I should at least give it a shot because I am still passionate about it and feel I have gained some confidence. Despite this I know nothing about the business side of it. Where do comedy writers get started and break into the industry (other than open mic nights)? Where can a comedy/humor write try out some material? What kind of jobs are out there for comedy writers? How does someone get a job writing for a TV show or a stand up comedian? Please give me some information because I can't seem to find much on my own. Thanks!

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
What you should do is go to open mike nights and start making friends with other comedians, and join an improv group to start.
If you are shy, the 'stars' will dominate, but you could contribute with more of the creative stuff from the background or play the foil.

And research the backgrounds of well-known comedy writers to see how they got their start.

Not sure where you are but it helps to be in a reasonably large city. Google your own town plus 'improv group' and see if you can join one of them, or check out meetup.com for your area.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I live in a small town, but I'm 80 miles away from Las Vegas and I know they have open mic nights and various things related to comedy there.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Just remember that humor is subjective, especially in writing where the reader can't see facial expression or other body movements that may go with the gag...

schrang41

Registered
Reaction score
Test your humor on others, you won't be able to know your funny unless other people have heard your jokes

BethEllyn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party but if you're still checking this thread:

intern for a late night comedy show! I interned for Conan and Fallon and you will learn SO MUCH....get involved in as many open mic nights as possible. Network network network. Get involved in an improv comedy troupe. Every writer had backgrounds in The Groundlings, Second City, etc. Some writers I'm still friends with are besties with Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, etc. Everyone knows everyone in that industry. It's an awesome industry with awesome people!

good luck!

TimSenese

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same spot here. I have material ready to go (more stand up material than late night monologues) but I don't know what to do other than open mics.

I guess what I'm asking, what are the other routes you can take in addition to open mic nights that will help 'prove' to others that you have actual writing chops and you aren't just another hack? Is there more than just sending a packet of stuff you've written and hoping for the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.