Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Work for hire question

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Work for hire question

Hi, I have a question about work for hire. If I agree to write an article as a work for hire, can I still write about the topic if I change the angle completely and not use any of the same quotes from the previous article?

For example, if I was writing about the construction of a theme park for a trade magazine as a writer for hire, can I still write about the theme park as a tourist attraction for a travel magazine?

Thanks.

As far as I know, as long as you don't reuse any of your previous work, you can write about the same topic as many times as you want.
    I think you could probably even use the same quotes, if they are in the public domain.
    Tumblr
    My Website

Tempting the Unicorn

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.

Getting better all the time AW Moderator Melina's Avatar
    Yes, you can write about one topic until the cows come home. Just make sure your articles are not too similar.
    My Website
    'Like' me on Facebook

"If it's not one thing, it's another."--Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Ok, thanks lastlittlebird and Melina!