Introductory Post Goes Here.

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello writers!

I've been lurking on and off for about a year now (couple of days here, couple of days there) and finally decided to go through the small trouble of registering so that I can actually participate.

I'm a stay-at-home dad for a HFA teenager, married for over fourteen years, and writing since I could pick up a crayon. I think my mother printed my first novella when I was seven through a small independent imprint (read: she photocopied it at work and handed it out to indulgent family and friends).

I've written three complete manuscripts that are "technically" publishable, (meaning they are not derivative fan-fics that could land me in jail for copyright infringements), though only the last one I feel is "good enough" and I've been starting to peek around for querying help. Found QueryShark, and her site reminded me of AWWC, so I've come back, registered and started pouring through the archives.

Looking forward to becoming a fixture this time, hopefully I'll be able to provide valuable feedback even though I am unpublished. (Except for that small print thing back in elementary school.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! And congratulations on keeping up your writing throughout your life... I'll bet you have a lot of good learnings and best practices to share.

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
I hope so! I wrote as a hobby all through school, but only started to get serious about it in the last eight years or so. I finished putting my wife through nursing school with my retail job, and she turned around and asked me, "So, are you going to get serious about writing now?"

I blinked a couple of times and said, "yeah, I guess I am." Haven't looked back ever since.

I have no formal training, no education past high school. But I've had just about every kind of "unskilled" job you can imagine; from lumberyard apprentice to bartender to Assistant Manager at a second hand mattress store. Throughout it all I made stuff up and wrote it down. Now I'm just trying to get paid for it.

amandakelley

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! :) I've lurked a bit around here throughout the years as well. I created an account, though, in 2011, and just now got back on it! Ha!

Good luck in querying, I here it's hell. I'm going to start practicing around with some soon so I can get the hang of it somewhat before my real one.

Happy writing! :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Finis!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Been poking my head around, trying to get a feel for the place. Stuck my head in a couple critiques. Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the FAQ's and guides seem to be several years old. There have been a couple things I wanted to comment on, but the first post was from 2006, and the last was from 2010... I'm not really into necrophilo-posting, so I was just wondering what the general thought was on commenting on posts that are years old? Are they just Mostly Dead? Or all the way dead --where the only thing to do is go through the thread's pockets for loose change and vocabulary.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I love the Princess Bride reference in your most recent post. Also, American Gods is a great book.

Oh, and thanks for looking at my query in Query Letter Hell. It's nice to see new people who aren't afraid to at least offer a few thoughts.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Finis, and I wanted to mention that I think it's great to see you already around and about contributing to lots threads!

Finis

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm trying to get my 50 posts all legit and stuff :)

Plus I'm a post-a-holic on most boards.

And good lord, Jamie, that's a lot of smilies.