Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 120

Thread: Pastor Complains; Waitress Fired

  1. #1
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    22,920

    Pastor Complains; Waitress Fired

    Waitress Who Posted No-Tip Receipt From “Pastor” Customer Fired From Job

    The pastor has reportedly apologized, but in my opinion she wasn't sorry she stiffed one waitress then got another waitress fired; she was sorry that she was outed.

    See also:

    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...logizes-687234

    http://consumerist.com/2013/01/29/di...waiter-on-tip/

    WWJD? Pretty sure "Not This."

  2. #2
    fluently sarcastic grandma offender ladyleeona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    wherever the Jose is.
    Posts
    922
    I saw this earlier today and it just wows me on so many (bad) levels. I think she's just sorry she got outed, too.

    ETA--My ultimate favorite part is where she called for all the restaurant employees to be fired. Sounds like an awesomely great person and I want to be her bff. .
    blog here///tweet here.
    the FML Book//Still WTFing
    the Hell Book//Edit Purgatory

    Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
    www.girlrising.com

  3. #3
    The Old Curmudgeon F.L.N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Backwoods of Puget Sound
    Posts
    522
    It is an interesting position to take for a person that lives on gratuities! Does this mean that church members can leave insulting notes in the collection plate?
    Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers.


  4. #4
    just think about it Gretad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A really cool place
    Posts
    2,799
    I was just coming to post this story. Great minds think alike!

    The comment on the bill doesn't even make sense. Tithes are 10% of annual income. The tip was 18% of a small meal bill. Not even in the same financial ballpark.

    I'd love to hear her preach. She's a real peach. The teachings of Jesus would never allow her to treat someone this way after they worked to serve her a meal.

  5. #5
    just think about it Gretad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A really cool place
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by F.L.N View Post
    It is an interesting position to take for a person that lives on gratuities! Does this mean that church members can leave insulting notes in the collection plate?
    Ha! I never thought of that!

  6. #6
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Very articulate young woman. I'm sure she'll get a job because of this.


    ::ETA::

    Just finished watching the video. She's not only getting job offers, there's also a push to get her financial assistance.
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

  7. #7
    Joker Groupie Celia Cyanide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    probably watching DARK KNIGHT
    Posts
    14,147
    About the only thing I can understand Applebee's taking issue with is that she accidently posted the signature. It probably was illegible, and the woman went out of her way to make sure no one knew whose it was. She even gave a fake physical description so no one could guess. I find it hard to consider it "personal information" when there was no name, address, phone number, or credit card number.

    That note was a dick move on the pastor's part.
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

    My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

  8. #8
    It's a matter of what is.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,771
    The waitress is not very bright. Ought not have shown the name of any person who chooses not to tip.

    As posted originally on Reddit’s Atheist page, the image contained the customer’s full signature. Chelsea says she didn’t think to edit that out because she had assumed the name was illegible.
    Our Flag needs washed

  9. #9
    It's a matter of what is.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post

    That note was a dick move on the pastor's part.
    I think it likely the waitress and the pastor of guilty of crossing swords.
    Our Flag needs washed

  10. #10
    fluently sarcastic grandma offender ladyleeona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    wherever the Jose is.
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
    About the only thing I can understand Applebee's taking issue with is that she accidently posted the signature. It probably was illegible, and the woman went out of her way to make sure no one knew whose it was. She even gave a fake physical description so no one could guess. I find it hard to consider it "personal information" when there was no name, address, phone number, or credit card number.

    That note was a dick move on the pastor's part.
    That's what I originally thought too, but I know some other chain restaurants have very strict policies about waitstaff and their cellphones--couple of quick cellphone pictures of a customer's credit card and bingo! easy fraud. Just the fact the picture was taken with a cell phone while on the job would probably have been enough to be fired at the chain I'm thinking of.

    ETA--As guilty as I find the pastor, I agree with sulong's sentiments on the waitress.
    blog here///tweet here.
    the FML Book//Still WTFing
    the Hell Book//Edit Purgatory

    Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
    www.girlrising.com

  11. #11
    υπείκωphobe Wilde_at_heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    3,250
    There have been so many recent instances of 'jerk leaves note on bill that gets posted all over the internet' that frankly whoever still does it probably deserves all the flack they get for it.

    I'm torn on the signature thing - it was stupid of the waitress - but it's just as stupid to stiff someone, leave a nasty note for all to see and think there won't be any consequences that arise from it.

  12. #12
    empty-nester! shadowwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    Posts
    5,026
    Where I work we can get fired for using a cell phone for anything other than checking the time, so on that, coupled with the fact she showed the customer's signature, I don't fault anyone for the firing except the waitress.
    Je suis Charlie

    "It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

    Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

  13. #13
    Megalops Erectus Silver King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Florida (West Central)
    Posts
    12,437
    Quote Originally Posted by sulong View Post
    I think it likely the waitress and the pastor of guilty of crossing swords.
    And they're both idiots who chose to express their opinions within the wrong mediums to make a point. They're paying for it now, as if that's any surprise.

  14. #14
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    26,976
    Given that wait staff need tips to even make minimum wage I have no sympathy for non-tippers, pastor or not.

    I worked retail for a few short years and my only achievement was not actually murdering any of the customers.

  15. #15
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    22,920
    If you can't afford the tip you can't afford to eat out.

  16. #16
    Joker Groupie Celia Cyanide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    probably watching DARK KNIGHT
    Posts
    14,147
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Where I work we can get fired for using a cell phone for anything other than checking the time.
    It doesn't say that this is the rule at Applebee's. This isn't why she was fired.

    It's just hard for me to have any sympathy for the pastor, who demanded that EVERYONE be fired. I'm sure the waitress probably did break at least one rule. But as for the pastor, if you leave a note like that, you must, on some level, expect attention, and even crave it.
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

    My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

  17. #17
    It's a matter of what is.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    If you can't afford the tip you can't afford to eat out.
    I wonder how many restaurant owners are willing to say "no service" to a paying customer over the price of a tip? A few I'm sure, but certainly not many.
    Our Flag needs washed

  18. #18
    Megalops Erectus Silver King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Florida (West Central)
    Posts
    12,437
    One other thing I'd like to mention is that it's usually not a good idea to air your work-related beefs on social media. So your co-worker got stiffed by the local pastor? So what? Besides you and some of that restaurant's staff, no one else really cares. Truly. Get over it and move on without trying to make it a scandal that will cost you your job, such as it did in this instance.

  19. #19
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Or the Master. Whatever.
    Posts
    10,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    One other thing I'd like to mention is that it's usually not a good idea to air your work-related beefs on social media. So your co-worker got stiffed by the local pastor? So what? Besides you and some of that restaurant's staff, no one else really cares. Truly. Get over it and move on without trying to make it a scandal that will cost you your job, such as it did in this instance.
    I think you're spot on with this. I'm upset with the Pastor and how she handled it, which makes me more sympathetic to the girl, but my first thought when I saw it was that it was really inappropriate to show something like that. It's even less appropriate to include the signature.

    Apparently the waitress did it because she thought it was "funny." That's even less of a good reason. I can kind of get behind showcasing jackassery in the hope that people will see it and decide not to be jackasses themselves (kind of), but doing it because you thought it was entertaining is not a valid reason to invade someone's privacy, which is essentially what she was doing.
    "You will experience a tingling sensation and then death."

    And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

    Take two: 90,008
    Current: 7,680



  20. #20
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    22,920
    On the other hand, the pastor acted very badly indeed.

    No matter where you are, no matter what you do, act as if everything you say might wind up top-of-the-hour on CNN.

  21. #21
    Abuses commas at will. milkweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
    About the only thing I can understand Applebee's taking issue with is that she accidently posted the signature. It probably was illegible, and the woman went out of her way to make sure no one knew whose it was. She even gave a fake physical description so no one could guess. I find it hard to consider it "personal information" when there was no name, address, phone number, or credit card number.

    That note was a dick move on the pastor's part.

    The pastor is a female, but still a nasty move.
    Facebook Twitter Blog Website Gallery

    Borg Rejection Letter:

    Quote Originally Posted by asnys View Post
    WE ARE THE BORG. YOU MAY RAISE YOUR SHIELDS AND DEPART. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS SUPERFLUOUS TO OUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR CULTURE'S SERVICE IS UNNECESSARY. PLEADING IS FUTILE. YOU WILL NOT BE ASSIMILATED.

  22. #22
    Abuses commas at will. milkweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
    I think you're spot on with this. I'm upset with the Pastor and how she handled it, which makes me more sympathetic to the girl, but my first thought when I saw it was that it was really inappropriate to show something like that. It's even less appropriate to include the signature.

    Apparently the waitress did it because she thought it was "funny." That's even less of a good reason. I can kind of get behind showcasing jackassery in the hope that people will see it and decide not to be jackasses themselves (kind of), but doing it because you thought it was entertaining is not a valid reason to invade someone's privacy, which is essentially what she was doing.
    On the otherhand when one is a yackass in public all bets are off, or so I was taught to believe.

    Btw how does one get the little emoticons?
    Facebook Twitter Blog Website Gallery

    Borg Rejection Letter:

    Quote Originally Posted by asnys View Post
    WE ARE THE BORG. YOU MAY RAISE YOUR SHIELDS AND DEPART. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS SUPERFLUOUS TO OUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR CULTURE'S SERVICE IS UNNECESSARY. PLEADING IS FUTILE. YOU WILL NOT BE ASSIMILATED.

  23. #23
    Abuses commas at will. milkweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by sulong View Post
    I wonder how many restaurant owners are willing to say "no service" to a paying customer over the price of a tip? A few I'm sure, but certainly not many.

    IIRC from an article I read yesterday she was the person paying for a rather large group of people, most establishments have stuff about tips and large groups when you walk in the door, don't know if this is true about Applebee's or not.
    Facebook Twitter Blog Website Gallery

    Borg Rejection Letter:

    Quote Originally Posted by asnys View Post
    WE ARE THE BORG. YOU MAY RAISE YOUR SHIELDS AND DEPART. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS SUPERFLUOUS TO OUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR CULTURE'S SERVICE IS UNNECESSARY. PLEADING IS FUTILE. YOU WILL NOT BE ASSIMILATED.

  24. #24
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Or the Master. Whatever.
    Posts
    10,555
    I always thought it was automatically added to the total, too. Am I wrong about that?
    "You will experience a tingling sensation and then death."

    And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

    Take two: 90,008
    Current: 7,680



  25. #25
    Abuses commas at will. milkweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
    I always thought it was automatically added to the total, too. Am I wrong about that?
    No that's plainly stated in the OP article concerning Applebee's large group policies, all groups over eight people are automatically billed 18% gratuity, the computer does it and according to the article they are unable to override the computer. So it wouldn't have mattered that the pasture left $6 on the table or not.
    Facebook Twitter Blog Website Gallery

    Borg Rejection Letter:

    Quote Originally Posted by asnys View Post
    WE ARE THE BORG. YOU MAY RAISE YOUR SHIELDS AND DEPART. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS SUPERFLUOUS TO OUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR CULTURE'S SERVICE IS UNNECESSARY. PLEADING IS FUTILE. YOU WILL NOT BE ASSIMILATED.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search