Querying with Photo Credits?

ewpnet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie question: I'm a freelance photographer and I'm pitching articles with photos provided. I have photo credits in national/regional magazines, but no writing clips.

When querying a magazine with no clips, do you think I should list photo credits? Or just not mention any published credits at all? I obviously don't want to draw attention to the fact that I have no writing clips. Will the features editor care about photo credits? Does that add credibility? What are your thoughts?

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Certainly, if you're pitching a photo feature, your published photo credits should help.

In some situations, indicating availablity of photos will add value for an editor. Some mags, however, aren't interested in photos because they have their own photographers/sources for photos.

The trick for you, in my opinion, would be to write a kick-ass query letter, so they can see you're capable of writing a kick-ass article. Sure--tell them about your photography credits. Just don't mention your lack of writing credits.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie question: I'm a freelance photographer and I'm pitching articles with photos provided. I have photo credits in national/regional magazines, but no writing clips.

When querying a magazine with no clips, do you think I should list photo credits? Or just not mention any published credits at all? I obviously don't want to draw attention to the fact that I have no writing clips. Will the features editor care about photo credits? Does that add credibility? What are your thoughts?

If you have credits national mags of ANY kind, it won't do anything but help. If two people send the same article, same quality and neither have any writing credits, but you have NATIONAL photo credits, chances are you'll get the nod, simply because you, at least, have experience in dealing with editors etc.