• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Solstice Horizons (formerly Alpha Wolf Publishing)

JessieCaro

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Alpha Wolf Publishing? Tried doing research, could not find anything bad. Could not find anything good ither. Thanks for your help!

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Here's a new one, they have instructions for their submission guidelines that require you download and write in OpenOffice.

http://www.alphawolfpublishing.com/instructions/

They look very new and there is no info on who they are or if they have any experience in the industry.

There are two books for sale, neither have a blurb or excerpt available to tell you anything about them.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Wait two years. See if they're still in business.

Why would the require OpenOffice? Isn't that the beauty of OO is that it'll open any type of text file? I mean that makes NO sense...

They want you to do their formatting for them. I suspect they're planning to do a straight text-dump from your submission to the final published work.

Note for Alpha Wolf: Proofread your web page. This is not an optional step.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
From their lengthy list of formatting requirements (which indeed seem to be set up so they can do a straight text-dump; it's nowhere near standard mss format), at the very end:

Also, make sure you do not begin many sentences with And or But. This does not look professional, and your work will be sent back to you to correct, if accepted at all. If you want them in there, merge them with the previous sentence.

That was enough for me.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Quote:

Also, make sure you do not begin many sentences with And or But. This does not look professional, and your work will be sent back to you to correct, if accepted at all. If you want them in there, merge them with the previous sentence.

Yep. Terminal dumbassery.

Pass.

And you may quote me. But it's up to you. :evil

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From a Carly McCracken email:

Solstice Publishing has acquired Alpha Wolf Publishing in a merger deal. We are now an imprint of Solstice Publishing.

Solstice Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Solstice Publishing has acquired Alpha Wolf Publishing

Solstice Publishing has acquired Alpha Wolf Publishing and all of their contracts and books.

The previous owner no longer has anything to do with these books.

We will be running it at an imprint of Solstice. Solstice Publishing has been around for years and have been growing in leaps and bounds. Solstice now houses several Amazon International Best Sellers and Amazon Best Sellers. We have several books optioned for film and house books by a few celebrities.

We look forward to bringing in all these new authors and books.

As always I will personally answer any emails that you have for me but I simply don't have time to get into an open discussion on this forum. I am always ready to hear from current or future authors. Please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Melissa Miller

Solstice Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Notice the only review for either book listed above is by the author's mother. Notice the blurb and its extensive typos.

Thank you for bringing this to the forums attention. Although I really don't know what the point of your comment is. You are no longer an author of Solstice and you are not an author of Alpha Wolf. So to point out that the only review the book has received is by the authors mother really has nothing to do with you at all and it really has nothing to do with anything.

The only thing I can take from this comment is that you had nothing better to do than go check out the site and look for typos.

As I said though, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have just acquired this company and I am sure there will be a lot of changes that I will need to make.

Thanks
Melissa Miller

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It's helpful to us to see how marketing works and to see the product being presented. If it's not professional, as evidenced by errors, that's important to know. The only review belonging to the author's mom tells something about how successful a book has been and how good marketing has been.

No one has to be an author with Solstice to comment on the work. If you've picked up the imprint and the same person is doing the imprint, I'd sure as heck want to know about the products they've released before submitting.

Solstice Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
It's helpful to us to see how marketing works and to see the product being presented. If it's not professional, as evidenced by errors, that's important to know. The only review belonging to the author's mom tells something about how successful a book has been and how good marketing has been.

No one has to be an author with Solstice to comment on the work. If you've picked up the imprint and the same person is doing the imprint, I'd sure as heck want to know about the products they've released before submitting.

Solstice now owns Alpha Wolf. We will be doing all the marketing for the books. We will be sending them off for reviews and if there are any typos in the descriptions we will take care of it. This company is now being ran by Solstice not the previous owners. The previous owner no longer has anything to do with Alpha Wolf.

Thanks
Melissa Miller

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
As I said though, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have just acquired this company and I am sure there will be a lot of changes that I will need to make.
Why has Solstice acquired this company? I ask because they don't really have many books out, and the quality of those few books aren't very high. Plus, Alpha didn't seem to have very good sales to begin with. So what positives were there?

Solstice Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Why has Solstice acquired this company? I ask because they don't really have many books out, and the quality of those few books aren't very high. Plus, Alpha didn't seem to have very good sales to begin with. So what positives were there?

E.Lindsen I am extremely confused by your post. Although I do appreciate your interest in our business deals I don’t really feel it’s your business why we buy out another company.

That being said, Solstice is doing rather well and we have the money and resources to buy out failing companies if we so chose to. I'm not sure why you would publicly ask us why we bought out a company and what positives they are to us. I don't mean this rude at all but that really is not any of your business.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Thank you for bringing this to the forums attention. Although I really don't know what the point of your comment is. You are no longer an author of Solstice and you are not an author of Alpha Wolf. So to point out that the only review the book has received is by the authors mother really has nothing to do with you at all and it really has nothing to do with anything.

The only thing I can take from this comment is that you had nothing better to do than go check out the site and look for typos.

Thanks
Melissa Miller

I found the manner in which you chose to respond extremely informative. Especially they way you immediately decided to take/make a post about defective product negative and personal.

The pattern continues in later posts where you could just say " we prefer to keep this matter private" but instead decided to respond emotionally and question people's motives--as if simple curiosity is somehow malicious.

Last edited:

Solstice Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
I found the manner in which you chose to respond extremely informative. Especially they way you immediately decided to take/make a post about defective product negative and personal.

The pattern continues in later posts where you could just say " we prefer to keep this matter private" but instead decided to respond emotionally and question people's motives--as if simple curiosity is somehow malicious.

I am sorry if my posts came across as emotional. That was not my intention. I was simply trying to answer questions and comments sent my way. I will answer all future posts like that as you suggested that it is a privater matter.

I'm sorry if I overstepped in my response to Ms. Lindsen.

Thanks
Melissa Miller

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record, Alpha Wolf was iEnovel until '11.

In Jan '14, was renamed Solstice Horizons (solsticehorizons.com), but site didn't last long. Going by Amazon, last book pubbed 7/14. FB page has been renamed Solstice Universe.