The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Solstice Horizons (formerly Alpha Wolf Publishing)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Solstice Horizons (formerly Alpha Wolf Publishing)

Has anyone heard of Alpha Wolf Publishing? Tried doing research, could not find anything bad. Could not find anything good ither. Thanks for your help!

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    URL http://www.alphawolfpublishing.com/

May I invite your attention to This is nothing like an official FAQ: "I can't find anything about them on the web. If nobody has any complaints, that must mean they're okay, right?"

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Here's a new one, they have instructions for their submission guidelines that require you download and write in OpenOffice.

http://www.alphawolfpublishing.com/instructions/

They look very new and there is no info on who they are or if they have any experience in the industry.

There are two books for sale, neither have a blurb or excerpt available to tell you anything about them.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo
    Worth More than Words available now from Dreamspinner Press
    In the Heart of Love-Coming Soon
    SOLD: Nikki's Dragon-short story anthology to Fireborn Publishing

Why would the require OpenOffice? Isn't that the beauty of OO is that it'll open any type of text file? I mean that makes NO sense...
    In The Shadow Of The Cross-Coming Soon from The Script Co.

Based On The...-Black Box Theatre Publishing

Allie In Wonderland and The Absolutely True Story of Tom Sawyer as Told by Becky Thatcher-Heartland Play Publishers

Blogging AT

Wait two years. See if they're still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    Why would the require OpenOffice? Isn't that the beauty of OO is that it'll open any type of text file? I mean that makes NO sense...
    They want you to do their formatting for them. I suspect they're planning to do a straight text-dump from your submission to the final published work.

Note for Alpha Wolf: Proofread your web page. This is not an optional step.

(cut large post.)
    Last edited by Filigree; 02-02-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Filigree's Rule

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

From their lengthy list of formatting requirements (which indeed seem to be set up so they can do a straight text-dump; it's nowhere near standard mss format), at the very end:

Also, make sure you do not begin many sentences with And or But. This does not look professional, and your work will be sent back to you to correct, if accepted at all. If you want them in there, merge them with the previous sentence.

That was enough for me.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Quote:

Also, make sure you do not begin many sentences with And or But. This does not look professional, and your work will be sent back to you to correct, if accepted at all. If you want them in there, merge them with the previous sentence.

Yep. Terminal dumbassery.

Pass.

And you may quote me. But it's up to you.
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

www.cameronbanebooks.com

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Alpha Wolf's two books to date can be sampled on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-His-Mothe...9751745&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Through-Time...9751910&sr=1-3

In the Acknowledgements section of Through Time and Eternity the author names his publisher, Carly McCracken. She and Alpha Wolf are both on Facebook but you'll search in vain for any useful information.

From a Carly McCracken email:

Solstice Publishing has acquired Alpha Wolf Publishing in a merger deal. We are now an imprint of Solstice Publishing.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

Solstice Publishing has acquired Alpha Wolf Publishing

Solstice Publishing has acquired Alpha Wolf Publishing and all of their contracts and books.

The previous owner no longer has anything to do with these books.

We will be running it at an imprint of Solstice. Solstice Publishing has been around for years and have been growing in leaps and bounds. Solstice now houses several Amazon International Best Sellers and Amazon Best Sellers. We have several books optioned for film and house books by a few celebrities.

We look forward to bringing in all these new authors and books.

As always I will personally answer any emails that you have for me but I simply don't have time to get into an open discussion on this forum. I am always ready to hear from current or future authors. Please don't hesitate to email me at solsticepublishing@live.com

Thanks
    Melissa Miller

Fearsome Dragon Mod AW Moderator jvc's Avatar
    Here is a link to the other Solstice thread, just in case anyone was curious.
    Jed.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts - Lots of Fun Facts and Humorous History posts. Parenting: Facts And Advice On Temper Tantrums.

Notice the only review for either book listed above is by the author's mother. Notice the blurb and its extensive typos.

Quote Originally Posted by elindsen View Post
    Notice the only review for either book listed above is by the author's mother. Notice the blurb and its extensive typos.
    Thank you for bringing this to the forums attention. Although I really don't know what the point of your comment is. You are no longer an author of Solstice and you are not an author of Alpha Wolf. So to point out that the only review the book has received is by the authors mother really has nothing to do with you at all and it really has nothing to do with anything.

The only thing I can take from this comment is that you had nothing better to do than go check out the site and look for typos.

As I said though, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have just acquired this company and I am sure there will be a lot of changes that I will need to make.

Thanks
    Melissa Miller

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    It's helpful to us to see how marketing works and to see the product being presented. If it's not professional, as evidenced by errors, that's important to know. The only review belonging to the author's mom tells something about how successful a book has been and how good marketing has been.

No one has to be an author with Solstice to comment on the work. If you've picked up the imprint and the same person is doing the imprint, I'd sure as heck want to know about the products they've released before submitting.

Quote Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
    It's helpful to us to see how marketing works and to see the product being presented. If it's not professional, as evidenced by errors, that's important to know. The only review belonging to the author's mom tells something about how successful a book has been and how good marketing has been.

No one has to be an author with Solstice to comment on the work. If you've picked up the imprint and the same person is doing the imprint, I'd sure as heck want to know about the products they've released before submitting.

Solstice now owns Alpha Wolf. We will be doing all the marketing for the books. We will be sending them off for reviews and if there are any typos in the descriptions we will take care of it. This company is now being ran by Solstice not the previous owners. The previous owner no longer has anything to do with Alpha Wolf.

Thanks
    Melissa Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice Publishing View Post

As I said though, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have just acquired this company and I am sure there will be a lot of changes that I will need to make.
    Why has Solstice acquired this company? I ask because they don't really have many books out, and the quality of those few books aren't very high. Plus, Alpha didn't seem to have very good sales to begin with. So what positives were there?

Clearly, they thought it was a good idea, but are under no compulsion to share their reasons with anyone.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by elindsen View Post
    Why has Solstice acquired this company? I ask because they don't really have many books out, and the quality of those few books aren't very high. Plus, Alpha didn't seem to have very good sales to begin with. So what positives were there?
    E.Lindsen I am extremely confused by your post. Although I do appreciate your interest in our business deals I donít really feel itís your business why we buy out another company.

That being said, Solstice is doing rather well and we have the money and resources to buy out failing companies if we so chose to. I'm not sure why you would publicly ask us why we bought out a company and what positives they are to us. I don't mean this rude at all but that really is not any of your business.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Solstice Publishing View Post
    Thank you for bringing this to the forums attention. Although I really don't know what the point of your comment is. You are no longer an author of Solstice and you are not an author of Alpha Wolf. So to point out that the only review the book has received is by the authors mother really has nothing to do with you at all and it really has nothing to do with anything.

The only thing I can take from this comment is that you had nothing better to do than go check out the site and look for typos.

Thanks
    Melissa Miller
    I found the manner in which you chose to respond extremely informative. Especially they way you immediately decided to take/make a post about defective product negative and personal.

The pattern continues in later posts where you could just say " we prefer to keep this matter private" but instead decided to respond emotionally and question people's motives--as if simple curiosity is somehow malicious.
    Last edited by veinglory; 10-07-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Clearly, they thought it was a good idea, but are under no compulsion to share their reasons with anyone.
    True. I only ask to see what they offer Alpha Wolf authors that differ from the original owners and how that would improve sales, marketing, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    I found the manner in which you chose to respond extremely informative. Especially they way you immediately decided to take/make a post about defective product negative and personal.

The pattern continues in later posts where you could just say " we prefer to keep this matter private" but instead decided to respond emotionally and question people's motives--as if simple curiosity is somehow malicious.
    I am sorry if my posts came across as emotional. That was not my intention. I was simply trying to answer questions and comments sent my way. I will answer all future posts like that as you suggested that it is a privater matter.

I'm sorry if I overstepped in my response to Ms. Lindsen.

Thanks
    Melissa Miller

Guys, it was a simple announcement of fact.

I'm going to shut this thread for a bit.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just for the record, Alpha Wolf was iEnovel until '11.

In Jan '14, was renamed Solstice Horizons (solsticehorizons.com), but site didn't last long. Going by Amazon, last book pubbed 7/14. FB page has been renamed Solstice Universe.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: