Fagin February 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It's February! Let a new month of words begin. Fagin, btw, is not a proper noun in this case. :)

You know the rules of the thread--PLEASE put off-topic posts in other threads (like the Braggatorium or the Life of Crime and Chocolate threads). This is the place to encourage each other to write and edit.

How did you do in January? What are your February goals?

My January goals were to write a query, redo changes I lost to the WIP I want to query, submit said query, and write 500 words a day at least 3 days a week. I did the query and subbed, wrote a couple drafts of a synopsis, redid the changes, and utterly failed to write anything new.

In Feb. I just hope to write. At all. Anything. :tongue

How about you?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's February! Let a new month of words begin. Fagin, btw, is not a proper noun in this case. :)

You know the rules of the thread--PLEASE put off-topic posts in other threads (like the Braggatorium or the Life of Crime and Chocolate threads). This is the place to encourage each other to write and edit.

How did you do in January? What are your February goals?

My January goals were to write a query, redo changes I lost to the WIP I want to query, submit said query, and write 500 words a day at least 3 days a week. I did the query and subbed, wrote a couple drafts of a synopsis, redid the changes, and utterly failed to write anything new.

In Feb. I just hope to write. At all. Anything. :tongue

How about you?

Thanks for the thread, Jude. I'm hoping to finish the first third of this draft. I don't work to word-count, but just so that I have something to check with at the end of the month - this draft of the book will be 60,000-70,000-ish words = first third will be 20,000 - 25,000-ish words - and I'm starting February with 10,000 words done. But it's a short month, and we have a week in Paris* in the middle of it. So, there's that. (Though as my French friend Martial pointed out "People do write in Paris. It's not entirely unheard of." )

ETA: *oh, what? Of course I'm bragging - a week in Paris! :Sun: :Sun::Sun::Sun:

oh, bite me...

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I've been hanging out for this thread all day, damn timezones.

I did great in January but I fizzled out in the end once I had hit the 25K goal.

February, I'm going to try for 1K words per day. Hopefully that will get me to the middle of the novel.

And I'm off to a good start: 1046 words to get off the mark.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
February's target is to get to the half-way point. I reckon that will be around 20k words - half as much again as I wrote in January! - but I'm not fussed how many words there are as long as I get to the right point in the plot.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Didn't quite hit my goal for last month, short by around 3 or 4k words. I blame that on myself. Hope to do better this month, though my birthday is in the last week and I have plans to spend the week in Las Vegas celebrating. So, most likely will not hit my goal of 20K. I will however definitely hit the 50K mark, which is really not that far off, less than 3300 words.

Good luck to everyone with their goals this month!

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do great last month, but here's hoping that I do better this time around with my goals. My goal is to get at least 32 pages or more done. Started well this morning, three pages done. More to do later.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
My January goal was to finish the first draft of my WIP, which I did (YAY!). Of course, in finishing, I also realized the tremendous amount of stuff I want to change in revision, so that's ahead of me.

For February, I'm going back to my beta, since I've been lucky enough to have received quite a bit of feedback from my readers. My rough plan is this:

1. Read it as-is, and take copious notes (but don't make edits yet).
  2. Go through ALL of the beta feedback (some of which is quite detailed), and organize it.
  3. Decide what I want to change (I have some things on this list already).
  4. Make the changes. :D
Don't know that I'll get through 4 in February, but I'd at least like to do 1-3 and get started on 4.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
In all, I managed 18,273 words in January, started a new project out of the blue one day and just ran with it, putting the other WIP on the back burner.

I guess my goal for February is to manage 1K a day which would bring me to the halfway point at the end of the month.

ucf612

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have a goal in Jan.

My Feb. goal is to do the 28K in 28 days thing. That will get me through the end of my current first draft since I'm very near the end. Then I'll take a break from it and return to one of my first 2 novels. One is stalled but I'd like to pick it back up and the other needs an almost complete rewrite. Once I'm done with Book #3, I'll spend the rest of the month on Books #1 or #2, whichever strikes my fancy.

I'd also like to get some planning done for the WIP I have bouncing around in my brain right now, Book #4.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Congratulations on your query, heyjude! My Febryuary needs to be dedicated to free-writing on my next WIP and submitting a short I've been meaning to send to a magazine. Crossing fingers.

1100 words so far today, Have a great write!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck on the short, Lucie.:Hug2:

I would have reached my goal for January if someone didn't keep moving the goalposts. (Pesky characters keep insisting on more scenes.:rant:)

For February I'm not going to set any word count goal, just to write something, anything, every day. I'm hoping once the pressure to write is off, then the urge to write will come back. (It's very shy that urge.:e2brows:)

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Well, not off to great start for the month, but any words are good words. At least I got my start on the next chapter. Reporting a whopping 171 words for the day. Ces't la vie.

Good luck to everyone with their goals and non-goals. :D

Fingers crossed for you, Lucie. Break a leg. (I know, that's show biz talk, but it means the same here.)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
January seems to have gone so quickly. Not sure what my goals were but I probably didn't make them.

I did, however, get my entry in for the competition. Didn't want to really say before as it kind of felt like a jinx but I've re-entered the Debut Dagger from the CWA with my new WIP. I emailed and asked if it was okay, having been in the competition before, and after a long discussion by the looks of it, they said it was fine. It's maybe a bit embarrassing being probably the only shortlisted writer to basically get nowhere, but I've taken the comments they gave me, rewrote, replotted the book, reworked things and hopefully this entry is much stronger. So I figured it was worth another shot. For the sake of £25...

So that just got sent in and one of my January goals, I suppose, was to get that ready to go. From now on my goal will be to finish the rewrites on the rest of the book (I'm about 1/3 - 1/2 the way through now).

I am travelling a lot this month though - Paris next weekend, Prague about ten days after that, then leaving for Madrid on the 28th, so quite how much I'll get done in February I just don't know.

Good luck Lucie and actually to everyone on your goals! :D

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, gang :hi:

I've not written much in January, which was expected. I was focusing on getting through the course I was taking for work, and I finished it - took the final exam today.
I did submit my previous WIP to publishing houses in January, so now I'm in the waiting phase, although I'm not hopeful, I just had to do it, as a part of the process.

Now that I'm done with the course, I'm taking a break before I do the next one and can spend much more time on my writing, so February will hopefully be a productive month - I want to continue the first draft of the story I began before Christmas. Starting tomorrow :)

Writing goal for February is simply to write - to get more chapters in (I'm currently about to start chapter 6), and to write every day.

Good luck with your goals, everyone! Hope February will be a great month.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck everyone!

1070 today.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Excellent start, all! Zelenka, congratulations on the entry - and good luck.

Not much tonight. I did read through the prologue. So much better than it was. I'm throwing it out and starting over again. Thinking of opening with the murder instead, or at least my victim heading unsuspectingly to his doom. More cliched, but I think the different setting will let me exposit more organically than I've done in the stilted little scene I have now.

I hate my prologue. Did I mention that?

Good word karma to all!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Everyone, good luck meeting your goals. I'm sitting down to my second writing session today and decided to make that my goal: two daily sessions of at least 30 minutes each for February, preferably one of over an hour. Liz, maybe look at your book to see if you have a better beginning already in there? I know my book had three different beginnings. Then I realized that the thing that actually set the whole thing in motion was only referred to in Chapter Four. Moving it to the start, and n-stage, made a huge difference in my understanding my book. And Zelenka, I wanted to wish you a special sip of Felix Felicis!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you, frankie, and Liz and wonder and the rest of the mob. I just met my morning goal - time for a break, a cup of coffee and then I think I'll get straight back into it. You know the feeling when you're buzzing and don't want to step away for an hour or two? That's me, right now...

I'm loving this book. :Hug2: book

ETA: even more of this :Hug2:. I don't even care that it's gone all literary and ripped my plottage to shreds and sales will be dismal.

I heart it to bits. :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:
Also 1400 words and some other ones.

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Good luck to everyone!

Zero words for yesterday. Resting my wrist as it has been bothering me (again). Will prolly try to do some writing today.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, good luck with the entry.

MsDashwood - fingers crossed on your exam.

Everyone seems to be storming ahead with their word counts.:Clap:

Well, except me. However, I hope to rectify that this evening. Now, if I can just drag myself away from AW.:D