Critique Circle #2 (European Chapter) - summer break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
New thread for 2013.

Older posts from 2011 and 2012 can be found here: Critique Circle #2 [Europe Chapter] - 2011+2012 posts archive | [Final page]

How the crit group works:
The group meets in the AW critique chat room once each month, usually on the first Sunday of the month, around 3pm GMT. The thread title usually gets changed to announce this.

A week or more before the meeting, the person whose turn it is to be critiqued sends their writing sample (up to 5K words) to the nominated group admin, who distributes it via email to group members.

In the chat room, we each post comments on the sample, taking turns, usually over two rounds so everyone gets a chance to have their say, and the author gets to ask for extra clarification and discuss comments. Critique comments take the form of 2 or 3 boiled-down paragraphs focusing on the most relevant points. These chat sessions usually last just over an hour. [edited]

Afterwards, the admin emails a transcript of the chat session to group members. Members may also email their critiques, containing fuller comments than were raised in chat, to the author, copying everyone else for info.

How do I get to the chat room?

See this thread in AW Chat forum:
FAQ about AW IRC Chat Channel (How to get there, who the operators are, etc.)

Just to summarize:

/server irc.starchat.net

/join #AWCritCircle Birolsangels

...should get you into the crit circle chat room.

Added: see this post for how to access the crit circle chat room using Mibbit, a web-based IRC, which is listed in the how-to thread linked above.

-Derek

Last edited:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops! This got away from me :eek:

Okay, let's do Wendy in January, and Ton, you have the February spot. Saves me having to beg near the end of Jan :D

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
What about me, do I mean nothing to you?!

Oh wait, I don't have anything, nevermind, carry on!

Is Sunday 6th Jan at 3pm GMT good for everyone?

-Derek

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I'm celebrating my life since I so skillfully escaped the grim end of life as we know it. Phew. Now back to making characters miserable!

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
w00t! So, the reason you have two chapters is because the second is for additional information. The latest comments from agents is that they don't care for Jane enough to find out what happens to her. I need to make her more endearing or intriguing or *something*. I'd like to do that in the first chapter, but the second chapter might help shed some light on the problems perhaps. Thanks!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
No wonder the file is so huge! o,0

:tongue

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm reading and commenting on both.

-Derek

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
You're welcome to do just the first chapter. Last time I submitted it, the feedback was that it was too short to crit properly, and thus the inclusion of the second chapter. I really want to make Jane endearing to the reader.

See you all in 20 minutes!

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all you writers,

Great to see the group is still going strong. Ok, I've been away. I am trying to get the writing kick-started. Unfortunately I am unable to join you guys for chat on Sundays. Doesnt fit into my life plans. I'll try to offer crits off line.
That Ok Derek, Master of the Universe.

PS: I should probably add this is an attempt to somehow get back to writing. Please bear with my absences if any as I try to restore the cosmic balance.

Last edited:

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Raphee. Hope you stick around.

Ton, it should be next month first sunday, which should be, according to my co-pilot monkey, the 3rd of February.

I was wondering if someone else didn't get the critiques for this month's critique session. I got neither critiques nor chat transcript. Whom should I aim my projectile acid fish towards?

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, must've missed that note. Thanks. My acid fish will have to wait to see another target soon enough.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Hello Raphee! Sorry to hear there's a clash. Sundays used to clash with my old job quite badly, but that's not a problem anymore thankfully.

I'm still waiting for feedback from the last crit too, so I'm guessing 10trackers hasn't gotten around to sending it out yet.

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Raphee! Sorry to hear there's a clash. Sundays used to clash with my old job quite badly, but that's not a problem anymore thankfully.

I'm still waiting for feedback from the last crit too, so I'm guessing 10trackers hasn't gotten around to sending it out yet.

:eek: Whoops.

I feel shame.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Derek, could you update the thread's title? Every time I see that "TODAY" in the title, I get a mini heart attack and think there's a session today that I'm not ready for :cry:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Next meeting

Note the date change, instead of this coming Sunday 3rd Feb, we're meeting on Sunday 10th instead (so I am informed by our domineering admin!).

-Derek

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yaaaaaaaaay new thread Derek has made a new thread OMG Derek thank yoooou!

:hooray:

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Note the date change, instead of this coming Sunday 3rd Feb, we're meeting on Sunday 10th instead (so I am informed by our domineering admin!).

-Derek

Oh bugger. Really? Damn - I came off the hill early especially. :O( I must remember to check this thread more often. I can't make next week as I'll be in Rome doing touristy things - sorry.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Oh bugger. Really? Damn - I came off the hill early especially. :O( I must remember to check this thread more often. I can't make next week as I'll be in Rome doing touristy things - sorry.
Sorry 'bout that! And sorry 'bout next Sunday, too! Have a nice time!

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.