A nightclub fire killed at least 233 people in southern Brazil on Sunday when a band's pyrotechnics show set the building ablaze and fleeing partygoers stampeded toward blocked exits in the ensuing panic.
Most of those who died were suffocated by toxic fumes that rapidly filled the crowded club after sparks from pyrotechnics used by the band for visual effects set fire to soundproofing on the ceiling, local fire officials said.
It what seems a common story, it was a series of failures that led to this tragedy. The owners were in the process of renewing their fire inspection, the band purchased and used pyrotechnics for outdoor use only, doors were locked or blocked, and the fire department arrived without masks or other gear to help fight the blaze.

Sounds too much like the Rhode Island nightclub fire at a Great White performance.

Owners and band members arrested - one owner attempted suicide. Finger pointing and street protests have begun.