Teacher fired for breaking the ice.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
It has about 15 different accepted spellings according to my Jewish MIL who sometimes calls me a toches lecker (ass kisser). The only truly proper spelling is הינטן. The English spelling is just slang.

Isn't it that way for any language that doesn't use a Latin alphabet? The spellings are approximations? I have no idea, I just always got that impression.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It has about 15 different accepted spellings according to my Jewish MIL who sometimes calls me a toches lecker (ass kisser). The only truly proper spelling is הינטן. The English spelling is just slang.
Words in many languages that migrates from other languages are not just slang. The word came from the Yiddish and has accepted spellings in English, according to Merriam-Webster at least. Those spelling are "tokus" and "tokhes." :)

But I only brought it up to point out that "tushie" and "tush" were basically the same word, spelled improperly.

Btw, some think Mel Brooks may have been largely responsible for popularizing "tush" in Blazing Saddles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Words in many languages that migrates from other languages are not just slang. The word came from the Yiddish and has accepted spellings in English, according to Merriam-Webster at least. Those spelling are "tokus" and "tokhes." :)

But I only brought it up to point out that "tushie" and "tush" were basically the same word, spelled improperly.

Btw, some think Mel Brooks may have been largely responsible for popularizing "tush" in Blazing Saddles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

I see what you're saying, but if you really wanted the most precise translation into English, it would simply be "buttocks". Toches, tuchis, tuches, tokhis.....are all just phonetic representations of how the word sounds in Yiddish.

(But kudos for finding a way to incorporate Blazing Saddles into the thread. Well done.)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
My students never touch me and I never touch them--Cooties.
---

Isn't that spelled 'kootees' or 'cooteez'?;)

This thread's morphed from one about gluteus maximuses to virals. Interesting.

Leaving now, and yes, hoping the door doesn't hit me on my tuchus on the way out.

:D

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Cooties with a C. Didn't you ever [lay the Cootie game? Not the No Touch-backs game but the game with the plastic cootie. You might check in with the codgers on the "Old Farts Bar & Grill" about the game. I can't be the only one to remember it.--s6

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Cooties with a C. Didn't you ever [lay the Cootie game? Not the No Touch-backs game but the game with the plastic cootie. You might check in with the codgers on the "Old Farts Bar & Grill" about the game. I can't be the only one to remember it.--s6
Cooties

It's a dice game. Rules courtesy of eHow.

Milton Bradley estimates that nearly 30 million Cootie games had been sold worldwide by 1978.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Female teacher massages a little boy's ass equates to, What was she thinking? She deserves to be fired.

Male teacher massages a little boy's ass, or a girl's, and you can bet we'd be calling for his balls and a long prison sentence.

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.

I'm still confused by this post. How is it that we cannot protect children unless we want this woman to go to jail?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
If she is a substitute she must file for a subbing certificate. My guess is that she will be denied the certificate based on the firing. Schools are leery of hiring personnel that could bring them into a lawsuit. It isn't like she will never be hired in any job again. There are some work places where that kind of behavior might be tolerated but not a school. --s6

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still confused by this post. How is it that we cannot protect children unless we want this woman to go to jail?
That's not what I said. I was merely pointing out that a man accused of the same behavior, in many cases, would be treated far more severely than simply losing his job over the incident, up to and including possible jail time.

Even in cases of serious crimes, such as sexual intercourse with minors, women often receive much lighter sentences than men for identical offenses. And in my view, when it comes to crimes against children, offenders should be treated exactly the same, regardless of gender.

That was the main point of my earlier post, anyway.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
That's not what I said. I was merely pointing out that a man accused of the same behavior, in many cases, would be treated far more severely than simply losing his job over the incident, up to and including possible jail time.

Even in cases of serious crimes, such as sexual intercourse with minors, women often receive much lighter sentences than men for identical offenses. And in my view, when it comes to crimes against children, offenders should be treated exactly the same, regardless of gender.

I am sort of curious whether this is actually the case. I can see how it would be. But I wonder if anyone knows of specific instances where the charges were identical (preferably in the same state) but the woman had a lesser sentence?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I am sort of curious whether this is actually the case. I can see how it would be. But I wonder if anyone knows of specific instances where the charges were identical (preferably in the same state) but the woman had a lesser sentence?
There are too many to cite from Florida alone, but you can search the name Debra Lafave to get a sense of the disparity I'm talking about.

Her attorney argued against sending her to prison by claiming, "To place Debbie into a Florida state women's penitentiary, to place an attractive young woman in that kind of hellhole, is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions."

No kidding. He really said that, and it worked in favor of his client.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
There are too many to cite from Florida alone, but you can search the name Debra Lafave to get a sense of the disparity I'm talking about.

Her attorney argued against sending her to prison by claiming, "To place Debbie into a Florida state women's penitentiary, to place an attractive young woman in that kind of hellhole, is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions."

No kidding. He really said that, and it worked in favor of his client.

The last bit isn't quite true. She didn't get jail time because the victim and the victim's mother didn't want to put him through a trial.

Although I would love to see a lawyer argue that a man can't go to jail because he was too handsome.

Also this, from an interview
In her first-ever television interview, Debra Lafave will take us step by step through the whole affair. But she also says there’s much more to the story. Behind the pretty face and the hourglass figure, Behind the lurid details of the case, she says there was a deeply troubled young woman with a lifetime of problems that finally led to a terrible crack-up— and a crime tailor-made for the tabloids.

Rolling my eyes so hard I can't even. May not show a double standard with sentencing, but the general attitude is absurd. I also think that even though it works to her benefit, it's so incredibly patronizing. I don't think I can read anymore, this interview is utterly ridiculous. She's a moron.

Soiry for the derail, but if anyone else wants to read it: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14499056/ns/dateline_nbc/t/crossing-line/#.UQ3B9x00WSo

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Did you ever watch that show Desperate Housewives? One of the MC was having an affair with a High School kid. Could you even imagine if that had been a adult, married man having an affair with an underage girl? Never would have flown. People would have hated the character.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The last bit isn't quite true. She didn't get jail time because the victim and the victim's mother didn't want to put him through a trial...
You're right; and there are better examples to cite, which I will do in the next day or so when I have time. The previous one was just icing on the cake, decorated ahead of time.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Did you ever watch that show Desperate Housewives? One of the MC was having an affair with a High School kid. Could you even imagine if that had been a adult, married man having an affair with an underage girl? Never would have flown. People would have hated the character.

From the examples I've seen, this works as long as the male character doesn't initiate. And that makes sense because our culture likes to think of men as unable to control themselves when women aren't sufficiently modest.

I don't know who initiated on the DH one, but there are tons of examples of male teachers sleeping with female students on TV. On teen shows, however, they tend to be from the POV of the girl and the audience is generally more sympathetic because it's full of teenage girls who would also love to bang that hot teacher.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, the word "tuchus" has no place in journalism, but it made me giggle. Anyway, I doubt there was any sort of pedophilic intent on the teacher's part, but I can't really say I feel bad for her... You can't touch another person's child's butt. That would seem like common sense to me.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

Then I guess I was confused about this part:

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.

Yes, people probably would react more strongly if it were a male teacher. I don't think that means we aren't getting anywhere in protecting kids.