Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teacher fired for breaking the ice.

Are you gonna finish that bacon? Vince524's Avatar

Teacher fired for breaking the ice.

Not to mention for touching the tuchuse of a young boy and having him do the same.

A Manhattan judge upheld the firing of substitute teacher Celestine Sam last week after she rubbed the back of a 9-year-old boy in front of the class and then had him return the favor.

During the reciprocal rubdown at Brooklynís PS 17 in Feb. 2009, both the 35-year-old teacher and student touched each otherís tuchuses, according to court documents.

I think this conduct should be beneath an teacher. In my mind, there's no butt's about it, she crossed a line.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or just want to crack a joke or two?

You can't sit with us! missesdash's Avatar
    I kind of feel bad for her when I read she was doing something specific she'd learned elsewhere.

But yeah, touching your student's butt, not a good idea. Ever. Poor judgement in her part.

Also, I learned something today. Thought it was "tooshie"

Can't we just put this behind us?

Turn the other cheek?
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
    No doubt she had good intentions, but I'm afraid she made an ass of herself.
    THROUGH THE DARK WATERS: Searching for Hope and Courage, September 2009.
    Available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble.

Quote Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
    I kind of feel bad for her when I read she was doing something specific she'd learned elsewhere.

But yeah, touching your student's butt, not a good idea. Ever. Poor judgement in her part.

Also, I learned something today. Thought it was "tooshie"
    That's a different word. Tuchuse is pronounced TOOK-us. Means the same thing.

It's pretty weird, and I'm not surprised she was fired. What was she thinking?
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

I'm with Celia: What was she thinking? She learned some variation of the 'trust exercise' in some non-education course (and I hate to think what the world will make of 'rub-down' missionaries) and applied it to teaching?
    Did none of her teacher training classes explain 'No Touching'? She's not some twenty-something, fresh out of teacher college - doesn't she read the papers? Professional articles? Discuss this cool new thing she learned with colleagues? Who I would hope would try to stop her.

Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post

Oh! Well I learned something else because I've never heard that word before. Weird.

fluently sarcastic grandma offender ladyleeona's Avatar
    I can't imagine how or why she thought that was a good idea. Not at all.
    blog here///tweet here.
    the FML Book//Still WTFing
    the Hell Book//Edit Purgatory

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
    www.girlrising.com

Female teacher massages a little boy's ass equates to, What was she thinking? She deserves to be fired.

Male teacher massages a little boy's ass, or a girl's, and you can bet we'd be calling for his balls and a long prison sentence.

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post

It's usually (properly) spelled "tokus" or "tokhes." Yiddish.

And "tooshie" or just "tush" is actually the same word, just spelled differently and mis-pronounced.
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Stars, Bars, and Symbols of the Past

Same-sex marriage and Southern heritage

Quote Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
    Oh! Well I learned something else because I've never heard that word before. Weird.
    ---

It's plain to see you've never grown up in a Jewish household.

Oh, well, we've all learned something today.

And yes, the teacher was an ass!

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    I have to wonder how strongly they are emphasising to the teacher about ethics and appropriate behavior in those education classes the teachers have to take to get their degree...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Learning the craft Paperback Writer's Avatar
    It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    Female teacher massages a little boy's ass equates to, What was she thinking? She deserves to be fired.

Male teacher massages a little boy's ass, or a girl's, and you can bet we'd be calling for his balls and a long prison sentence.

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.
    Reminds me of this story of a woman only getting 5 years in prison (she will have to serve at least half that time) for having sex with underage kids http://www.livermorevalleynews.com/2...in-prison.html

and this one from a teacher in the same area
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...lting-student/

I wouldn't if the context was the same (someone to verify it was a specific excercise) but I would definitely consider it a much much larger judgement fail because the reactions tend to differ.

we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar

On the other hand, if it were a football coach smacking a player on the butt for encouragement as they left the locker room, no one would have a problem with it.

Weird how the world works.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

I wouldn't.
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    On the other hand, if it were a football coach smacking a player on the butt for encouragement as they left the locker room, no one would have a problem with it.

Weird how the world works.
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on peopleís utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
    Well, I guess there's touching and there's touching.

I give my students a pet on the shoulders if they do well. I've taken unruly boys by the arm when it was needed. I've slung my arm around the shoulders of a girl when she told me sobbingly how her parents mistreated her. Hell, I've even received hugs from students after the graduation ceremony. Touch is a way human express themselves and it can be very powerful and useful.

Ofcourse, the touches I described are thouroughly non-sexual. I would never touch a students bum, or massage them or anything like it. But I don't want to dismiss the power of touch right off the bat.

Brain officially broken. I can't even imagine how this could happen today.

Quote Originally Posted by Perks View Post
    Brain officially broken. I can't even imagine how this could happen today.
    Offer up your tuchuse and we can show you.

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    Tokus.
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Stars, Bars, and Symbols of the Past

Same-sex marriage and Southern heritage

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Well, she lost what was already a temporary job for what was probably an accidental action. It seems reasonably proportional to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
    Offer up your tuchuse and we can show you.
    I'm not in the fourth grade. Only mentally...

Quote Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
    Tokus.
    You butt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Perks View Post
    I'm not in the fourth grade. Only mentally...

You butt in!

Quote Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
    It's usually (properly) spelled "tokus" or "tokhes." Yiddish.

And "tooshie" or just "tush" is actually the same word, just spelled differently and mis-pronounced.
    It has about 15 different accepted spellings according to my Jewish MIL who sometimes calls me a toches lecker (ass kisser). The only truly proper spelling is הינטן. The English spelling is just slang.
    "I never said, 'I could write.' I said, 'I could, right?'."

Hushpuppy: "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe and that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They're gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." ~ Beasts of the Southern Wild

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast