Request on an option

Mike_Gasaway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gasmangroup.com
I have a potential very odd dilemma and I'm not sure how to proceed. Long story short. I've been in the entertainment field for a while and have been approached by an individual who owns an animation company who is interested in optioning my book - a book that isn't published yet.

I'm in the middle of querying agents. Should I include that in the query? Is it a positive or a negative?

Like I said, odd...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How does the person interested in buying the option know about your book, and what it's about?

As options are often sold for very little it's not necessarily a big plus point, but if the person who has expressed an interest is of some repute, it couldn't hurt to mention this in your query.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It could be an incentive to an agent if the animation company is well known and could get a publisher therefore more interested in the book. But the thing I'd also advise is it might be worth waiting until you have the agent. I've had my agent deal with several options, and there are certain things that some development companies won't offer you that are considered pretty standard for option contracts. Agents can help make sure you get everything you need to protect you, and the money you deserve for your work (not so much with the option itself, as Old Hack said the money for an option isn't that much usually, but subsequent monies CAN be).