• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Hello, any advice on how to describe size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just say massive. Or if you want something more descriptive, 'a cigar longer than her head'. Then it's up to the reader to picture it and that picture will make sense. The reader will accept it and move on with the story.

It is best not to get exact with descriptions unless you really have to.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I was also trying to describe geckos that were about the size of my middle finger. Since there are so many different sizes of geckos, I want to differentiate them from others. At the same time, I don't want to use adjectives. I was to show it so that the reader can see it.

For me, a cigar is a lot clearer and simpler a thing to visualize than a gecko is. I don't think the gecko comparison works very well. A cucumber or something similar and commonly-known would be more apt. But don't belabor it. It's a honkin' big cigar; you don't need a precise measurement.

caw

Knigel

If the Rule is Broken — Break it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.knigel.com
For me, a cigar is a lot clearer and simpler a thing to visualize than a gecko is. I don't think the gecko comparison works very well. A cucumber or something similar and commonly-known would be more apt. But don't belabor it. It's a honkin' big cigar; you don't need a precise measurement.

caw

Sorry for the confusion. I meant I was trying to describe geckos as well as cigars, not that I was comparing them to each other.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
blacbird: It's a honkin' big cigar. . .
Honking big cigar. That's good. Honking big, so you know that sucker's not one of those pansy look-at-me-I'm-all-cool-'cuz-I-look-like-a-brown-cigarette-but-I-don't-have-a-filter thingies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.