Tense shifts during sentences

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
This construction is what I am used to. I'm used to the participle clause coming at the beginning of the sentence. For all I know, both are perfectly accurate, but this seems more graceful to me.

Well...it's actually a weaker construction, especially if it's intended link two major actions. A dependent clause is subordinate to the main clause. So the action described in the dependent clause had best be a lesser, subordinate action that takes place simultaneously with the main action.

For instance, this is acceptable:

Blinking back tears, she shouldered the backpack and trudged out the door.

Blinking back tears is a lesser action--it's not the main focus of the sentence--and it takes place while she's doing the other things. It's also a short phrase. So in this case, it works to have it at the beginning of the sentence. It gets it out of the way, because (to create some context), the significant action of that sentence is the fact that she trudged out the door. IOW, in the story to which this sentence belongs, the fact that she went through the door is a major turning point. Having that at the end puts it in a position of strength.

Which means that writing the sentence like this--

She shouldered the backpack and trudged out the door, blinking back tears.

--is a less effective construction in terms of dramatic impact.

BUT.

You want to reserve the above construction for special situations, and otherwise avoid it, because it usually links major actions by tucking one of them away into a weaker, dependent clause--which, btw, can lead to comical impossibilities--

Changing into her jeans, she headed out the door.

But even when the actions are simultaneous and logical, it weakens the sentence to treat one of the actions as less significant and supportive of the other one, unless it truly is and can't be placed anywhere else in the sentence.

In Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Renni Browne and Dave King say that this construction is "common to hack writers." I would say it's also common among learning writers, and I think happens out of a desire to vary sentence structure. But most times you want sentences that lead off strongly instead of with tentative clauses dangling from the front end.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
"He propped himself on one elbow, bracing himself against the violent rocking motion."

I think I wrote it this way, rather than reversing it with the subordinate clause in front, because I wanted to get across how muddled and disorienting the experience he's having is (he'd just woken up to find himself on a bunk in the crew quarters of a ship in the middle of the ocean and is having a really bad and disorienting day). May have rewritten the sentence anyway, but I just wanted to double check that using these kinds of participle clauses in general is not wrong. I think the real issue is that the critter in question does not like some things about my writing and he can't really put his finger on why that is. I suspect they have more to do with voice and style, but that's life. No one is going to make everyone happy.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Beth S- A good explanation, and it makes perfect sense. I see now that I only use this construction when it is the less important action. Examples where it is not the openning clause describing the subject seem awkward to read to me, but that is probably a matter of personal preference more than anything else.

Roden Addison

Conscious Competent.
Registered
Reaction score
I live a relatively rustic lifestyle in northern B
Website
rodenaddison.blogspot.ca
It's necessary. Dependent clauses are always set off with commas.

Okay, now I'm really confused.

Blue Book of Grammar states: When using a sentence witha a weak clause, use a colon after it. Conversely, do not use a comma when the sentence starts with a strong clause followed by a weak clause.

Examples given:
If you are not sure about this, let me know now.
Let me know now if you are not sure about this.

What am I missing. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com

The examples you're given aren't quite the same as Beth's example. In yours, the comma is there show that word order has been 'moved around':

Natural word order:

Altered word order: usually done to give emphasis to the words that are moved around (if-phrase is now moved to first position)

The comma acts to show that emphasis and "mess around" with order.

In Beth's, the participle is supplementary material, loosely attached (most times), and the comma acts to say that no matter where it is placed in the setence:

She lifted her head and sniffed, wiping away a tear.
Wiping away a tear, she lifted her head and sniffed.
She lifted her head, wiping away a tear, and sniffed.

Hope that helps some. :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Blue Book of Grammar states: When using a sentence witha a weak clause, use a colon after it. Conversely, do not use a comma when the sentence starts with a strong clause followed by a weak clause.

Examples given:

I think you must mean "use a comma after it."

Also, Beth's example ends with a phrase, not a clause (though according to my handbook, the comma is optional for either).

The ultimate confusion may be that Blue Book of Grammar isn't a universal. My Harbrace Handbook isn't either, but it recommends:

A sentence introduced by a subordinate clause (what BBG must term a weak clause) requires a comma before the main clause (what BBG must term a strong clause).

Since she arrived in town, complaints to the sheriff's office have doubled.

If the the subordinate clause follows the main clause, a comma may precede the subordinate clause.

Complaints to the sheriff's office have doubled, since she arrived in town.

However, the comma has become optional in the above construct, and many writers choose to omit it.

Complaints to the sheriff's office have doubled since she arrived in town.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I think you must mean "use a comma after it."

I hope so, because that would be the strangest use of a colon I've ever seen suggested.

The ultimate confusion may be that Blue Book of Grammar isn't a universal.

Well, I've never heard of it, at any rate.

A sentence introduced by a subordinate clause (what BBG must term a weak clause)

Thank you. I had no idea what it meant by a weak clause and a strong clause. Never heard that terminology before.

Complaints to the sheriff's office have doubled, since she arrived in town.

I would never use a comma there.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"He propped himself on one elbow, bracing himself against the violent rocking motion."

Nothing grammatically incorrect here, but it is an example of a sentence that could be made sharper with minor revision. The awkwardness is in the repetition of the word "himself", which is unnecessary:

He propped himself on one elbow, braced against the violent rocking motion.

Repetition of pronouns in this manner is often a signal of excess verbiage, easily trimmed.

caw

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Now the "rule" that's being quoted is that one is supposed to avoid "ing" verbs.

See, this is the problem when people who don't understand the guidelines take them and turn them into rules....and then pitch them at others.

It's a useful guideline to avoid the use of 'was -ing' constructions when simultaneous actions aren't happening -- or at least when the simultaneousness isn't the point. That is, reserve the use of 'was -ing' for when two simultaneous actions are happening and their simultaneousness is relevant.

Example 1: 'John was weeping when the car struck him.'

This is a perfectly good use of the 'was -ing' construction because the whole point of the sentence is *what John was doing* when he was hit by the car and possibly is even why he didn't see the car coming and jump out of the way. 'John wept when the car struck him' means something completely different: it means that he wept after the car hit him, which is a perfectly legitimate response, but doesn't mean the same thing.

Example 2: 'Marvin was sleeping. Jerry was whittling in the corner. Bernard was cooking breakfast.'

This is a tedious and arguably poor use of the 'was -ing' construction. There's no need to imply simultaneous actions, so what you're left with is the past tense of 'is' as the primary verb in all three sentences. This series of sentences is quite boring. Changing to more active verbs makes for better and more interesting writing: 'Jerry whittled quietly in the corner as Marvin slept. Bernard cooked breakfast, carelessly clattering the pots and pans.' This shows both action and character.

So, 'avoid "was -ing" constructions when not necessary' is a good guideline; 'never use -ing verbs' is a nonexistent rule based on the good guideline.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'd ignore the reviewer.

If they are honing in on things like that, and are wrong, then what more important things might they be missing that could be useful for you? And to anyone else who knows better, it reflects badly on that person, not you.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
That is, reserve the use of 'was -ing' for when two simultaneous actions are happening and their simultaneousness is relevant.

I think you might be conflating the issue of simultaneity in dependent clauses with use of the progressive verb form.

What I mean when I talk about a phrase or clause being simultaneous is in situations like this:

Brushing her hair, she smoothed on some lipstick.

The dependent clause "brushing her hair" is mean to be subordinate to and supportive of the main clause. And yet it's actually an action equal to the other but not simultaneous with it. She can't do both at once. So it should be written:

She brushed her hair and smoothed on some lipstick.

Or maybe--

After brushing her hair, she smoothed on some lipstick.

OTOH, this sentence--

Breathing deeply to settle her nerves, she smoothed on some lipstick.

--is a legitimate use of a dependent clause used to support the main clause.

However, what you were talking about in your examples is the progressive form of the verb. This indicates an action that is ongoing rather than an action that is complete. It's the difference between--

Cowboy Jim branded a calf ten minutes after I arrived.

and

Cowboy Jim was branding a calf when I arrived at the corral.

I.e., in the latter, the POV character walked in on the middle of an ongoing action, rather than witnessing one that was begun and ended. But this doesn't have anything to do with being simultaneous.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

This is a perfectly good use of the 'was -ing' construction because the whole point of the sentence is *what John was doing* when he was hit by the car and possibly is even why he didn't see the car coming and jump out of the way.

I completely and 100% agree with you. Someone else told said critter the same thing, and provided an example similar to #1

His response was that you could have written it: The car struck John as he wept.

Of course, this changes the meaning, or at least the emphasis of the sentence (at least it does to me). Also, the religious refusal to use a certain legitimate sentence construct when it is warranted removes a tool from your writer's toolbox and can result in prose that feels awkward, choppy and repetitive.

I do acknowledge that writers vary in their preferred ways of approaching things, and that this can be a part of authorial, or even character voice. But absolutely refusing to use a particular construction under all circumstances?

Ugh.

I wonder if some undergraduate writing instructors know what harm they are doing sometimes when they tell students to never do certain things? It can also be bad if they point out something that's an error or awkward in a specific context and provide only a very terse explanation for what is wrong (rather than providing examples of when it would actually be right to use it).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nothing grammatically incorrect here, but it is an example of a sentence that could be made sharper with minor revision. The awkwardness is in the repetition of the word "himself", which is unnecessary:

He propped himself on one elbow, braced against the violent rocking motion.

Repetition of pronouns in this manner is often a signal of excess verbiage, easily trimmed.

caw

I agree with you there. In fact, said sentence has been revised re that very issue. Repeated words are things I tend to catch when reading back through passages after taking a break.

Roden Addison

Conscious Competent.
Registered
Reaction score
I live a relatively rustic lifestyle in northern B
Website
rodenaddison.blogspot.ca
A big thanks.

About my earlier comma question. I've just reviewed Chicago with a mind to the difference between, series, phrase and clauses firmly in mind (Chicago lays it out nicely) and learned a lot. I haven't been on the board long but I sure appreciate the help people have given me.

For me commas have been the worst. I think I've got a handle on them now. Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I think you might be conflating the issue of simultaneity in dependent clauses with use of the progressive verb form.

What I mean when I talk about a phrase or clause being simultaneous is in situations like this:

Brushing her hair, she smoothed on some lipstick. (snip)

I'm not conflating anything, and I wasn't responding to any of your replies. :)

I was responding to the OP's comment (you know, the bit that I quoted) that someone threw a 'rule' at her that doesn't exist. I then went on to discuss the effective use of 'was -ing' constructions vs the ineffective use of them. I was discussing general effective usage, not basic grammar and not illogical constructions (which, as you correctly point out, are certainly a problem in some people's writing, but are not what I was talking about).

There is no rule to 'avoid gerunds'. Period. Using them effectively is important to writers who want to be published, but never ever using them is just plain silly. That's all I was saying. (Did you see what I did there? :D)

Last edited:

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score

Brushing her hair, she smoothed on some lipstick.

The dependent clause "brushing her hair" is mean to be subordinate to and supportive of the main clause. And yet it's actually an action equal to the other but not simultaneous with it. She can't do both at once. So it should be written:

She brushed her hair and smoothed on some lipstick.

Or maybe--

After brushing her hair, she smoothed on some lipstick.

OTOH, this sentence--

Breathing deeply to settle her nerves, she smoothed on some lipstick.

--is a legitimate use of a dependent clause used to support the main clause.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that what you're calling "dependent clauses" are actually participial phrases. A clause contains a subject and a predicate (After she brushed her hair), while a phrase is a group of words functioning as a unit within a sentence (After brushing her hair).

Neither "brushing her hair" nor "after brushing her hair" is a dependent clause, at least not to my understanding.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not conflating anything, and I wasn't responding to any of your replies. :)

I was responding to the OP's comment (you know, the bit that I quoted) that someone threw a 'rule' at her that doesn't exist. I then went on to discuss the effective use of 'was -ing' constructions vs the ineffective use of them.

Right. But the OP wasn't asking about the use of progressive verb forms. So I was confused by what appeared to be a sudden segue. Sorry about that!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that what you're calling "dependent clauses" are actually participial phrases. A clause contains a subject and a predicate (After she brushed her hair), while a phrase is a group of words functioning as a unit within a sentence (After brushing her hair).

Neither "brushing her hair" nor "after brushing her hair" is a dependent clause, at least not to my understanding.

Ack. You're right. It's been many years since I had formal instruction in grammar, resulting in a certain amount of terminology rot.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ack. You're right. It's been many years since I had formal instruction in grammar, resulting in a certain amount of terminology rot.

Me too! A lot of the time I know what a rule or sentence construct is, but heck if I can remember the name for it :(

It can make it challenging to look things up when I know a sentence isn't right, and I want to tell the person why.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Me too! A lot of the time I know what a rule or sentence construct is, but heck if I can remember the name for it :(

It can make it challenging to look things up when I know a sentence isn't right, and I want to tell the person why.

Yeah. And in my thinking, "dependent clause" had become a catchall for any fragment that wasn't an independent clause. But it has a narrower definition than that.