• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blythe Daniel Literary Agency

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
She seems to do alot of non-agent work, and then a very narrow field of agenting (Christian and general fiction only). Her clients seem to have a lot of experience in the Christian community so I'd guess she values queries from writers with lots of experience in their bio paragraph.

I can't comment on her book sales because all the presses mentioned are unfamiliar to me.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard of Thomas Nelson, Abingdon and Andrews McMeel but not the others.

I was looking to submit to Jessica Kirkland since she handles YA fiction, but she doesn't have a whole ton of credentials. Plus there's a few errors on the site too, which makes me pause.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Does your YA have a Christian message? Looking at her bio, I suspect that's the only type of YA she'd be interested in.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Actually she wanted me to call her, so I did and she was very informative. Yes, she deals mostly with the Christian market, but also has some connections with the general market. But the Christian thing is her strong suit.

My book can maybe be for the Christian market, not too sure. It deals with real life problems and has a optimistic ending. But there's swearing so, I would have to tone that down I think.

Jessica's new to agenting, only a year, but she sounds really eager, so that can be a good thing.

I'll give an update as to how it goes. So far it looks promising.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
My book can maybe be for the Christian market, not too sure. It deals with real life problems and has a optimistic ending. But there's swearing so, I would have to tone that down I think.
I'm skeptical that a book written from a secular perspective can be rewritten for the Christian market by just cleaning up the language. Christian fiction is in many ways a world unto itself. Most CBA publishers want fiction with a Christian World View (the capitalization is intentional). That means that the book must be written from a perspective that assumes: 1) Christianity* is correct, and 2) the solutions offered by Christianity are correct. This world view must permeate the entire book.

*By Christianity, I mean primarily Evangelical Christianity.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Roger. Yeah, I don't think it would fit. I volunteered that I had another YA and she seemed interested in both. But she wanted me to email her with a query of that too and then she said she'll decide which one for the full. (or maybe neither, I don't know.)

It was just really cool to talk to an agent about my books. I was impressed by her too, even if nothing more happens on it.