Pickup truck fueled by compressed natural gas explodes at gas station

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When did they pass that stupid law? It didn't exist when I was there... some 30 years ago.

Yeah, it did. It has always been illegal to pump your own gas in NJ. Lawbreaker... (people used to do it anyway, and no one cared, but they they started getting serious about it, like 20 years ago).

We generally have the cheapest gas in the region. Go figure.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No kidding! I was already out of the truck and going for the pump when the attendant stopped me and said I wasn't allowed to use it. The look on my face must have been priceless. I seriously thought I was on Candid Camera or something. It took him a bit to convince me it wasn't a joke.

It must amaze the legislators of Oregon and New Jersey that citizens of 48 other states (and how many other countries?) manage to fuel their cars without blowing us all to kingdom come. :ROFL:

Did the clowns who did this get re-elected? I can't believe anyone would vote for someone who thought they were too dumb to use a gas pump.

All things being equal, I'd rather not pump my own gas. And most NJers agree with me. Attempts to repeal said law, are always met with ferverent clamour, and are quickly defeated.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
We generally have the cheapest gas in the region. Go figure.

Your savings has to do with proximity to refineries and the major port of NY. It has so short a distance to go, it lacks the mark up that most places get because of the hauling fees.

Maryland is terrible when it comes to that mark up fee too.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your savings has to do with proximity to refineries and the major port of NY. It has so short a distance to go, it lacks the mark up that most places get because of the hauling fees.

Maryland is terrible when it comes to that mark up fee too.

And yet, NJ is waaay cheaper for gas than PA (Philly) or NY(NYC)...why would anyone want to pay more to pump their own gas, that's what I don't get...?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And yet, NJ is waaay cheaper for gas than PA (Philly) or NY(NYC)...why would anyone want to pay more to pump their own gas, that's what I don't get...?
They're not paying more to pump their own gas. They're paying more due to unrelated issues. Gilroy pointed out one of those issues.

You know enough economics to know that those attendants have to be paid for somehow. Having someone else pump your gas for you isn't free. The delivery to consumer cost component is higher in NJ and OR than elsewhere. You're paying for that service at the pump, one way or another.

TANSTAAFL.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're not paying more to pump their own gas. They're paying more due to unrelated issues. Gilroy pointed out one of those issues.

You know enough economics to know that those attendants have to be paid for somehow. Having someone else pump your gas for you isn't free. The delivery to consumer cost component is higher in NJ and OR than elsewhere. You're paying for that service at the pump, one way or another.

TANSTAAFL.

That's probably an insignificant number compared to the extra insurance the gas stations you losers use because you have no trained gas technicians working there. Call me, when you're paying less for gas than I am...and we'll talk...

...until such a time...I'll watch in the freezing cold/ seltering heat as the dude fills my tank, from the warmth of my cozy car...

And yes, I actually have a degree in economics, but I've come to understand that most of it is simply bullshit, like some much else we're "taught".