How to frame a synopsis?

Green

Registered
Reaction score
I've been attempting to put together a synopsis for my novel and have researched the basics (how long, what to include, etc.).

I do have a question about synopsis structure for frame stories, however. In my novel, the narrator is recounting a tale. She introduces herself at the beginning as the storyteller, and then launches into the actual events. At the end, the story reaches "present tense" and concludes. Should I include the frame in the synopsis, or just give the plot that my narrator is telling? The reason I'm curious is because there are other POV characters included, as well as some time jumps. I find it a little hard not to make it jarring unless I disclose the frame story aspect.

Thanks for the help!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'd put the frame in, but with a brief mention, if it keeps you from jarring the reader in the synopsis. Consider why you have a frame. What makes it necessary to your story? That is what needs to be in the synopsis. Good luck.

Green

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The frame is there because one of the overarching themes in the book is how history can change according to the writer. I'll include a sentence or two for the reference.