AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 184358626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1742

Thread: Samhain Publishing

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    I wish they'd do the right thing and stop publishing anything new...if the leadership there wants any credibility in the publishing world after February 28, they would.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post
    If the books sell, how will Samhain pay royalties if they're out of business?
    I'm a little curious with this too.

Author Website: Jack L. Pyke
    Reviews: Goodreads

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Feb 28 closes the shop. Businesses continue to wind down and finalize operations after shops close.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    Feb 28 closes the shop. Businesses continue to wind down and finalize operations after shops close.
    But our rights get returned on February 28th, right? I assume that's the case for ALL books, not just the older ones?

So the wind-down stage will be collecting payments from the slower-paying retailers and distributing those, but there shouldn't be any new book sales after March 1...

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
    But our rights get returned on February 28th, right? I assume that's the case for ALL books, not just the older ones?

So the wind-down stage will be collecting payments from the slower-paying retailers and distributing those, but there shouldn't be any new book sales after March 1...
    That's how I understand it - there's usually a three month delay in getting paid from Amazon, so there'll be a "final" payment when all the payments come in from the 'Zon, B&N and so forth. So while the rights will be returned to us there'll be a few more months before all the final money comes in.

However, it doesn't mean you can't ship around the books - I'd start right now with the note that the rights are being returned as of March 1st. It's only two, three weeks away and the paperwork will be in your mailbox.

I've got seven books coming back, three of which just came out within the last year or two. Would like to find them new homes, if at all possible.

I was worried they'd hold to contract as long as possible. Maybe not to seven years, but more than a few months? Is there an actually specified wind down period?

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Ships full of vampires are hell. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I've heard that they plan to start sending reversion letters on March 1, but they say it may take a while.

However, I've also seen a Samhain contract (though I'm not an author) and there is a clause in there that states rights revert automatically when the company liquidates.

Not sure if going dark on their website counts or if them saying that they're closing on Feb 28 counts, but that sure sounds like they really do need to return rights ASAP.

I'm surprised they're not sending letters now, since you can state a day the rights revert on. So there's nothing, in theory, keeping them from starting the process, since they know they're closing.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Fingers crossed for all my Samhain peeps.

Also, bring on camel pics!

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    Did the letter say something like "we will be returning rights in time, but don't write and ask for them back, as that will just slow us down." But I feel uncomfortable with not being a squeaky wheel if that means it will take longer, cause I'd just like them back. I don't know.

Apparently we can buy our covers, and the price is reasonable. I believe Chrissy's trying to do the best she can by everyone. I hope I get my rights back soon.
    Last edited by gingerwoman; 02-14-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

Romance with Kick-Assitude! Cassie Knight's Avatar
    Yes, that's essentially what the letter said. Rights will be given back (I suspect in alphabetical order though that's not stated--just a guess based on the fact my real name is a W and I'm usually last ) starting in March. Please don't email and ask for them sooner as they'll have to take time from giving rights back to respond. That's the gist of it.

Count me in as an author who is eager to get her rights back to two books so she can publish them with her company but I can wait. I've waited this long.

Of course, I feel like a jinx. The day this was announced, I was skyping with a friend of mine and wondering if I should ask for my rights back from Lyrical Press on a novella that's not selling at all and I mentioned to her that I'd love to get my Samhain books too. Then a few minutes later, I logged onto my email and there wre two messages from Chrissy about closing Samhain. Ack! I know it was just coincidence but how weird.

Anyway, our rights are coming. Let's just hold on a little longer so we all get them back timely. Thank you!
    Cassiel Knight
    Publisher, Champagne Book Group
    www.champagnebooks.com
    Paranormal Romance with Kick-Assitude!
    www.CassielKnight.com

I don't understand why a mail-merge document can't do this in a couple of hours. The only thing that would change between authors is names and book titles.

IIRC, when Booktrope closed, they just sent a blanket letter that wasn't author-specific.
    Bob Mueller
    Books | Web | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Author Instagram | Personal Instagram
    I am slowly building a Twitter List of AW members.

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    I don't understand why a mail-merge document can't do this in a couple of hours. The only thing that would change between authors is names and book titles.

IIRC, when Booktrope closed, they just sent a blanket letter that wasn't author-specific.
    That's interesting.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Man, I'm sorry to see them go. They were an INSTITUTION for a while, and I always hoped (but rarely submitted) to get published with them.

Banned
    Is anyone on the author loop? I've heard through the grapevine that "Jacob" will send out final word docs of people's work on request, which would certainly be useful for those wanting to self-publish. But I don't know who Jacob is or how to contact him....

Banned
    Got it in PM - thanks!

And for the record - I got the files from Jacob within minutes of having asked for them. On a Saturday.

So, while the will-they-or-won't-they nonsense was surreal and frustrating, Samhain does continue to behave with a hell of a lot more dignity and respect than EC did when they were closing.

I'm hoping to look back on my time with Samhain fondly, with only a bit of WTF for that time toward the end. EC, on the other hand, was just a mess.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Reversion letters and emails have to be specific, usually, and name the author and the book which is reverting. A mail-merge program might be able to do this assuming they've got the right information in the right format to do the work this way: but if they send out too many near-identical emails all at once they might be considered spammers, which would stop any of the messages getting through.

I'm concerned they're offering to sell cover art. If anyone wants to buy their own cover art, make sure you check their contracts with the original artists very carefully indeed because it's not usual for contracts to be transferrable like this. Usually the publisher buys the rights to use the art for their own publications, but they can't just sell those rights on.

If anyone wants to buy their own cover art, make sure you check their contracts with the original artists very carefully indeed because it's not usual for contracts to be transferrable like this. Usually the publisher buys the rights to use the art for their own publications, but they can't just sell those rights on.
    A good warning Old Hack. Even a work for hire does not always include the right to resell to another party.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctripp View Post
    A good warning Old Hack. Even a work for hire does not always include the right to resell to another party.
    Yep.

If the publisher won't show you the contract they bought the rights to the work under, the artist might well be happy to help.

What we did (or at least my cover artist did) at Booktrope was to have me buy the parts of the cover image myself from Shutterstock. There were only two images, and it was less than $50, IIRC.
    Bob Mueller
    Books | Web | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Author Instagram | Personal Instagram
    I am slowly building a Twitter List of AW members.

Despite throwing up a security fault error, their website is still up and still seems to be selling books, with no visible mention that they're due to close down in a matter of hours...
    Facebook Twitter Website

You donít have to believe in something to bump into it in a dark alley.

practical experience, FTW JulesJones's Avatar
    It's gone now. Which is unfortunate for me, because I've been either away from home without my passwords and/or sick for the last three weeks, and haven't had a chance to download my books. :-/ The website says "reach out to us through our contact page and we may be able to help", a contact page which of course no longer exists.
    http://www.julesjones.com

Sex and love, lies and truth, shades in between. Happy endings and might-have-beens. Nine tales of these things between men. Stormy Nights - released by NineStar Press on 24 July 2017.

Ships full of vampires are hell. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Samhain ebooks are still being sold on third-party sites.

Hope the authors actually see those sales.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Abnormal Romance Author thethinker42's Avatar
    Has anyone received a rights reversion yet?
    Lori
    Website * Blog * Twitter

AW Library: Lauren Gallagher * L. A. Witt * Lori A. Witt * Ann Gallagher

In-Progress:
    Adrift - 19,075 / 50,000

Cover Up - Now Available from Swerve/St Martin's!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have not, Lori. I actually ended up sending an email yesterday because I don't like the silence. I really think the Samhain folks should update us with where they are in the process. I have my books all ready to be uploaded, paid for new covers, did the formatting work for Kindle and print, and am just waiting for the rights reversion letter to show up. If they knew they were closing down, why not work on this ahead of time?

I hate to say it, but even Ellora's Cave handled that responsibility (rights reversion) on time and ahead of closing.
    Last edited by KE-writer; 03-03-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: misspelling

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KE-writer View Post
    I have not, Lori. I actually ended up sending an email yesterday because I don't like the silence. I really think the Samhain folks should update us with where they are in the process. I have my books all ready to be uploaded, paid for new covers, did the formatting work for Kindle and print, and am just waiting for the rights reversion letter to show up. If they knew they were closing down, why not work on this ahead of time?

I hate to say it, but even Ellora's Cave handled that responsibility (rights reversion) on time and ahead of closing.
    I think EC only did it on time for the authors who took their "deal". The rest of us had to wait/bargain/improvise...

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 184358626364656667686970 LastLast