• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Feb 28 closes the shop. Businesses continue to wind down and finalize operations after shops close.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Feb 28 closes the shop. Businesses continue to wind down and finalize operations after shops close.

But our rights get returned on February 28th, right? I assume that's the case for ALL books, not just the older ones?

So the wind-down stage will be collecting payments from the slower-paying retailers and distributing those, but there shouldn't be any new book sales after March 1...

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
But our rights get returned on February 28th, right? I assume that's the case for ALL books, not just the older ones?

So the wind-down stage will be collecting payments from the slower-paying retailers and distributing those, but there shouldn't be any new book sales after March 1...

That's how I understand it - there's usually a three month delay in getting paid from Amazon, so there'll be a "final" payment when all the payments come in from the 'Zon, B&N and so forth. So while the rights will be returned to us there'll be a few more months before all the final money comes in.

However, it doesn't mean you can't ship around the books - I'd start right now with the note that the rights are being returned as of March 1st. It's only two, three weeks away and the paperwork will be in your mailbox.

I've got seven books coming back, three of which just came out within the last year or two. Would like to find them new homes, if at all possible.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I've heard that they plan to start sending reversion letters on March 1, but they say it may take a while.

However, I've also seen a Samhain contract (though I'm not an author) and there is a clause in there that states rights revert automatically when the company liquidates.

Not sure if going dark on their website counts or if them saying that they're closing on Feb 28 counts, but that sure sounds like they really do need to return rights ASAP.

I'm surprised they're not sending letters now, since you can state a day the rights revert on. So there's nothing, in theory, keeping them from starting the process, since they know they're closing.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Did the letter say something like "we will be returning rights in time, but don't write and ask for them back, as that will just slow us down." But I feel uncomfortable with not being a squeaky wheel if that means it will take longer, cause I'd just like them back. I don't know.

Apparently we can buy our covers, and the price is reasonable. I believe Chrissy's trying to do the best she can by everyone. I hope I get my rights back soon.

Last edited:

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Yes, that's essentially what the letter said. Rights will be given back (I suspect in alphabetical order though that's not stated--just a guess based on the fact my real name is a W and I'm usually last :) ) starting in March. Please don't email and ask for them sooner as they'll have to take time from giving rights back to respond. That's the gist of it.

Count me in as an author who is eager to get her rights back to two books so she can publish them with her company but I can wait. I've waited this long.

Of course, I feel like a jinx. The day this was announced, I was skyping with a friend of mine and wondering if I should ask for my rights back from Lyrical Press on a novella that's not selling at all and I mentioned to her that I'd love to get my Samhain books too. Then a few minutes later, I logged onto my email and there wre two messages from Chrissy about closing Samhain. Ack! I know it was just coincidence but how weird.

Anyway, our rights are coming. Let's just hold on a little longer so we all get them back timely. Thank you!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I don't understand why a mail-merge document can't do this in a couple of hours. The only thing that would change between authors is names and book titles.

IIRC, when Booktrope closed, they just sent a blanket letter that wasn't author-specific.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why a mail-merge document can't do this in a couple of hours. The only thing that would change between authors is names and book titles.

IIRC, when Booktrope closed, they just sent a blanket letter that wasn't author-specific.
That's interesting.

drowningmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to see them go. They were an INSTITUTION for a while, and I always hoped (but rarely submitted) to get published with them.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Is anyone on the author loop? I've heard through the grapevine that "Jacob" will send out final word docs of people's work on request, which would certainly be useful for those wanting to self-publish. But I don't know who Jacob is or how to contact him....

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Got it in PM - thanks!

And for the record - I got the files from Jacob within minutes of having asked for them. On a Saturday.

So, while the will-they-or-won't-they nonsense was surreal and frustrating, Samhain does continue to behave with a hell of a lot more dignity and respect than EC did when they were closing.

I'm hoping to look back on my time with Samhain fondly, with only a bit of WTF for that time toward the end. EC, on the other hand, was just a mess.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Reversion letters and emails have to be specific, usually, and name the author and the book which is reverting. A mail-merge program might be able to do this assuming they've got the right information in the right format to do the work this way: but if they send out too many near-identical emails all at once they might be considered spammers, which would stop any of the messages getting through.

I'm concerned they're offering to sell cover art. If anyone wants to buy their own cover art, make sure you check their contracts with the original artists very carefully indeed because it's not usual for contracts to be transferrable like this. Usually the publisher buys the rights to use the art for their own publications, but they can't just sell those rights on.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
If anyone wants to buy their own cover art, make sure you check their contracts with the original artists very carefully indeed because it's not usual for contracts to be transferrable like this. Usually the publisher buys the rights to use the art for their own publications, but they can't just sell those rights on.

A good warning Old Hack. Even a work for hire does not always include the right to resell to another party.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A good warning Old Hack. Even a work for hire does not always include the right to resell to another party.

Yep.

If the publisher won't show you the contract they bought the rights to the work under, the artist might well be happy to help.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
What we did (or at least my cover artist did) at Booktrope was to have me buy the parts of the cover image myself from Shutterstock. There were only two images, and it was less than $50, IIRC.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Despite throwing up a security fault error, their website is still up and still seems to be selling books, with no visible mention that they're due to close down in a matter of hours...

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
It's gone now. Which is unfortunate for me, because I've been either away from home without my passwords and/or sick for the last three weeks, and haven't had a chance to download my books. :-/ The website says "reach out to us through our contact page and we may be able to help", a contact page which of course no longer exists.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Samhain ebooks are still being sold on third-party sites.

Hope the authors actually see those sales.

KE-writer

Registered
Reaction score
I have not, Lori. I actually ended up sending an email yesterday because I don't like the silence. I really think the Samhain folks should update us with where they are in the process. I have my books all ready to be uploaded, paid for new covers, did the formatting work for Kindle and print, and am just waiting for the rights reversion letter to show up. If they knew they were closing down, why not work on this ahead of time?

I hate to say it, but even Ellora's Cave handled that responsibility (rights reversion) on time and ahead of closing.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I have not, Lori. I actually ended up sending an email yesterday because I don't like the silence. I really think the Samhain folks should update us with where they are in the process. I have my books all ready to be uploaded, paid for new covers, did the formatting work for Kindle and print, and am just waiting for the rights reversion letter to show up. If they knew they were closing down, why not work on this ahead of time?

I hate to say it, but even Ellora's Cave handled that responsibility (rights reversion) on time and ahead of closing.

I think EC only did it on time for the authors who took their "deal". The rest of us had to wait/bargain/improvise...