AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Samhain Publishing

It all started with a little boo... wyntermoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonarbabe View Post
    I got my reply back this morning. They've decided to add me to their schedule for 2008.
    Congratulations!!
    Stacey Graham
    Associate agent | Red Sofa Literary
    agentstaceygraham.com | @staceyigraham

Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Congrats, Sonarbabe!

I didn't get an auto reply, so I emailed, blaming the Time Warner/Adelphia conversion mess (and yes, it is a mess of classic proportions). I got a reply to that email the next morning saying they'd received my submission. Now beginneth the 8-week wait.

KAugusto

Newbie chimes in...

Hello all.
    I am new to this group. I was referred by someone on the Backspace forum after I posed a question about Samhain. Reading all your comments inspired me to join this group too.

First, congratulations Sonarbabe! I was also just offered a contract from Samhain (hence my questions on BS). I would love to have a buddy to chat with as we start this exciting ride. This is my first novel, so I'm over the moon. And you?

Second, I wanted to second the advice to recontact SP if you did not get an automatic reply. I was in that situation about 2 months ago. I diligently waited my 8 weeks, not wanting to be a pest. Then I contacted Anne and learned that they had an office move and my manuscript was lost in the shuffle (my words). I received a very apologetic email in return, a request for a partial, and within 72 hours, a request for a full. A few days later I had an offer. So I think they are very professional and timely in their communications. If you didn't receive some kind of notice, I would not hesitate to ask for clarification.

I am wondering if someone who has published with SP would be willing to share your experience with in-house PR. What did Samhain do to promote your work? Were you encouraged to hire outside PR at your expense?

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you on the AbsoluteWrite list. Oh, and my work is Women's Fiction, tentatively titled STRAWBERRY DREAMS.

Kerri

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Hi Kerri

Samhain release a lot of books, PR for each one is not going to be huge. The send to some review places, online and print. More importantly they provided ARCs for print and the books are bookstore stockable (returnbale, discounted) unlike most POD trade paperbacks. Distribution is far more important than hype.

Given the sales numbers of their books and the value added by outside PR hiring a PR person would almost certainly be a financial loss.
    Emily Veinglory

figuring it all out
    Samhain has recently hired a new Advertising Director, and I think, someone in marketing. So their authors may be getting more PR in the near future.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    OK, rejection for me, BUT with notes on revision and an invitation to resubmit.

Good notes, too, and something to think about if the other two publishers I have the manuscript work with also reject.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

THE POPCORN MONSTER! JimmyD1318's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
    OK, rejection for me, BUT with notes on revision and an invitation to resubmit.

Good notes, too, and something to think about if the other two publishers I have the manuscript work with also reject.
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the other two submits.

Don't pass over that invitation to resubmit, they wouldn't say it if they didn't mean it. I almost took a similar notice (from another epub) as a rejection for my first novella, luckily the editor followed up and 2 years later it has sold well over 1000 copies.
    Emily Veinglory

I'm taking it in stride. She had some good points. I am totally considering resubmitting. The notes were more on characteriztion and plot tightening. She loved the actual premise.

I think if I implemented her revisions the manuscript would be even stronger, so maybe I'll just do a bit of a dabble here and there. Save it as another draft, in case the other two reject too.
    Christine

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

I tweet

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    Christine,
    I got the same type of rejection. She offered comments on how to improve the manuscript and asked me to resubmit if I rewrote. So as soon as I'm finished with the revisions on my paranormal, I'm going to do just that.
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Good for you

Yanno, it's kind of amazing what a little guidance can do. I've already cut 1000 words from the first chapter. I did manage to combine things, and cut others altogether.

Cool.
    Christine

I tweet

practical experience, FTW Josie's Avatar
    Good for everyone. Keep on chugging along

Samhain also rejected my story but asked for more. So I will send another I'm editing right now.

Cheers, Judith

Working In A Coal Mine... Sonarbabe's Avatar
    Christine,

My honey, here is a cookie!!!! Think about the notes they gave you. If nothing else, keep the original copy of your manuscript and work on some revisions. I did that with my stories and (consequently) found that I liked the revisions better. You never know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Samhain also rejected my story but asked for more. So I will send another I'm editing right now.
    {{HUGS}} Keep at it. If they didn't like your voice, they wouldn't ask for what else you had.
    Last edited by Sonarbabe; 02-27-2007 at 05:34 AM.
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
    2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.

practical experience, FTW Glenda's Avatar
    Sorry, Christine, Toni and Josie. I'm sitting on pins and needles, waiting.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

I have my own Space, feel free to
    Be My Friend

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    One tiny note for those who may not have "Samhain" as part of their speaking vocabulary: The word is pronounced sow-wain.

Correct!

And CONGRATS!!!
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

sow as in blow, or sow as in cow? (I spent long enough saying Loose Id wrong and am still unsure about Torquere--if I ever start a press it will be called Bob--just to keep things simple)
    Emily Veinglory

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    As in cow.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Since I never received the auto-response their website submissions page mentions, I did send another e-mail asking if they got my query and chapters. I'd hate to sit around for a couple of months before realizing they never got it.

ETA: I got an e-mail back stating their auto response has not been working properly since they switched servers...they are working on the problem.
    Last edited by kristie911; 03-01-2007 at 12:53 AM.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Anne Cain does good cover work--
    Total agreement. Anne really upped the creep factor of mine

And my editor really had some great insights on how to tighten it up. Together we chopped about 10,000 words from the original. Really a professional job

practical experience, FTW
    Hi, everyone. I happened to be online looking up Samhain Publishing, and one of the links led to AW. When I clicked on it, I was surprised to see people I recognized from having browsed around in AW for a few days.

After reading your success stories, I wanted to tell you all I'm excited that things are going so well for you. Congratulations and best of luck with your sales. And, even for those who received rejections, it doesn't sound like the rejections are meant to be forever, but more like, if you want to resubmit, that Samhain is willing to reconsider and work with you. Wow!

This has to be an exciting and happy time for you all, and I couldn't be more pleased for you. Wow! I'm going to go look at their site, now, and maybe I can see some of the covers you've mentioned.

Congratulations!

practical experience, FTW Manat's Avatar
    My God this thing gives me nightmares!

And my editor really had some great insights on how to tighten it up. Together we chopped about 10,000 words from the original. Really a professional job[/quote]

I resubmitted my revised manuscript yesterday. After considering it and spending days and days with it, I discovered that she was very right with her notes and the whole first half of the book needed to be revamped.

So, here's to trying again!
    Christine

I tweet

Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    I resubmitted my revised manuscript yesterday. After considering it and spending days and days with it, I discovered that she was very right with her notes and the whole first half of the book needed to be revamped.

Fingers crossed for you!

THE POPCORN MONSTER! JimmyD1318's Avatar

Good Luck, Christine! I hope you get some good news.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    This is *not* meant to denigrate Samhain or any other small press; it's just a question: Is a sale to Samhain or a similar small e-press a credential taken seriously by agents and large mainstream publishers?

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011153055 ... LastLast