Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910142954 ... LastLast
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Anne Cain does good cover work--I rather like her take on the dragon.
    Emily Veinglory

Working In A Coal Mine... Sonarbabe's Avatar
    Well, I sent off my polished full last night. Now to wait and see if Ms. Jackson likes the rest of it. LOL
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
    2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.

Good luck!
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW Glenda's Avatar

Curious minds want to know.

Has anyone talked to any authors that have already started getting royalty checks? If so are they satisfied with what they get paid.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

I have my own Space, feel free to
    Be My Friend

Just a comment here and there. They look on the high end of average for an epub in this area. I'd love to get some more figures.
    Emily Veinglory

That is better than I have heard about other small publishing companies. Hopefully it will grow to the high end of high.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    I have pretty high confidence in them, based on two facts a) this publisher was started by someone who worked at Ellora's Cave, which is one of the best small publishers out there. EC has bookstore presence, which tells me that this person know how it worked over there and has experience in publishing. B) people have seen their books on bookstore shelves. They know what's involved and how to impress buyers, and have distribution. If they continue to grow, they're going to be one to watch.

They're one of my top picks. If Behler took MG books, that'd be my top pick. (oh, Lynn...)
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

I have submitted a query to them and they got back to me wanting to see a 5 page syposis and first 3 chapters. I'm just paranoid. I'm not saying I am looking to be famous, just want to live comfortable.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

THE POPCORN MONSTER! JimmyD1318's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    I have submitted a query to them and they got back to me wanting to see a 5 page synopsis and first 3 chapters. I'm just paranoid. I'm not saying I am looking to be famous, just want to live comfortable.

I just want my work accepted somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD1318 View Post
    I just want my work accepted somewhere.
    Amen to that.
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

Oooh! I have a website.

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    Samhain Publishing is also accepting submissions in all genres of fiction and non-fiction for publication in 2008.

~From their site.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

American Aquarium Drinker pepperlandgirl's Avatar
    Oh yeah, I imagine their 2007 schedule is pretty much full now--well at least in the Romance/erotica genres. We signed a contract on our novel last...Nov, I think, and it's not even going to come out until the 2nd week of August this year.

I submitted to them yesterday but I didn't recieve the auto response their site mentions...has everyone else gotten an auto response when submitting? Or am I worrying needlessly?
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

I got my reply back this morning. They've decided to add me to their schedule for 2008.

Kristie: I did receive an auto-response on my initial submission, but not on the full.

Oooh! I have a website.

THE POPCORN MONSTER! JimmyD1318's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonarbabe View Post
    I got my reply back this morning. They've decided to add me to their schedule for 2008.

Kristie: I did receive an auto-response on my initial submission, but not on the full.

Congrats!!! I'm happy for you!

Woo HOO!

I know you must be over the moon. You've waited and worked quite LONG time for this honey.

I'm doing the happy dance for you!
    Christine

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

I tweet

That is great, I'm so excited for you. How long did you have to wait before you knew their decision. And what was the auto-response. I recieved an email, asking for the 5 page snyopsis and first 3 chapters. Could that be my auto-response? I wonder since I was suppose to send them in the first place, something I over looked when I sumitted until they requested it.
    Last edited by Glenda; 02-25-2007 at 12:48 AM.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    One tiny note for those who may not have "Samhain" as part of their speaking vocabulary: The word is pronounced sow-wain.

That is great, I'm so excited for you. How long did you have to wait before you knew thier decision. And what was the auto-response. I recieved an email, asking for the 5 page snyopsis and first 3 chapters. Could that be my auto-response? I wonder since I was suppose to send them in the first place, something I over looked when I sumitted until they requested it.
    I got that one too, Glenda, but that's because I forgot to attach the synopsis. Doh! I didn't get another auto reply when I sent it back again.

Mon's reply was pretty quick; I'm hoping to hear something soon too! But then I have to wait on two other publishers who take three months...
    Christine

I tweet

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    One tiny note for those who may not have "Samhain" as part of their speaking vocabulary: The word is pronounced sow-wain.
    Adding to this is off of Samhain's website is:

Pronounced sah-vin by the Scots, sow-in (sow like cow) by the Irish and sam-hine in English, Samhain is the Irish word for November and in November 2005 saw the opening of Samhain Publishing, Ltd. Founded with a goal of bringing to compulsive readers books that allow them to discover new worlds and be taken on adventures through the creative minds of today’s brightest authors.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
    I got that one too, Glenda, but that's because I forgot to attach the synopsis. Doh! I didn't get another auto reply when I sent it back again.

Mon's reply was pretty quick; I'm hoping to hear something soon too! But then I have to wait on two other publishers who take three months...
    Same here, Christine. Nothing since. I have been talking to another author there and have got nothing but great answers to my questions.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

My g-mail shows it as a sent message but I did not recieve anything from Samhain at all.

Hmmmm...I wonder if I should try it again.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Thanks everyone! Yes, Christine, I'm VERY excited. I guess being too stupid, er stubborn, to quit has paid off.

That is great, I'm so excited for you. How long did you have to wait before you knew their decision.
    I first submitted earlier this month and I received a reply asking for the full on the 17th. I heard back with an acceptance this morning, the 24th. I read their average response time though is 8-10 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie911
    My g-mail shows it as a sent message but I did not recieve anything from Samhain at all.

Hmmmm...I wonder if I should try it again.
    I would give it 2 weeks (which is how long my initial inquiry took) and if you don't hear back, you may wish email and ask if they received your submission. Just explain that you didn't get an auto-response and you were simply curious. I've had decent luck with those types of email inquiries. Good luck!!!

Oooh! I have a website.

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    If we Celts could only learn to spell properly . . . .
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

Thank you Sonarbabe.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910142954 ... LastLast