Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 39 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1429333435363738394041424344454964 ... LastLast

Thread: Samhain Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Walters View Post
    Wow, 24 weeks! That's a long time. Crossing my fingers mine doesn't take that long, whichever way it goes.

Good luck to you though, I'd certainly be encouraged if they're still considering it this far out.
    Thanks, and good luck to you too.

That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    General question, not necessarily focused on Samhain but on royalty-paying pubs in general: is a long wait a good sign? All my long waits so far have ended in Rs. I've had several novels accepted around the three month mark, one additional one bought on proposal and another in a week.

Mods, please move to the appropriate forum if I've made a mis-step.

Thoughts on this in general, anyone?
    Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, now available
    Part Three, SEASONS OF HOPE, coming soon, all from Desert Breeze

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

Deb, I'm prone to think that a long wait does lead to an eventual rejection. Some editors and agents have told me that they peruse through a stack of emails and pick out the most likely "positives", and leave the rest in their TBR pile. I think that's how many of us witness these very fast offers and contracts. Of course, many, many agents and editors answer their email sequentially and in order--first come, first served basis.

Tri

Banned
    I think it depends on the house, especially the size of it. If it's a small company and a single editor makes the decision, then I can see triceretops' theory working. But if it's a bigger house, where the first reader needs to submit the work to a panel of editors, etc., then I think acceptances take a longer time.

I've had fast acceptances and slow acceptances. I don't think I've ever had a fast refusal. It's tempting to try to analyze and figure out some sort of system, but I really don't think there's much chance of success--there are just too many variables.

Abnormal Romance Author thethinker42's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
    I think it depends on the house, especially the size of it. If it's a small company and a single editor makes the decision, then I can see triceretops' theory working. But if it's a bigger house, where the first reader needs to submit the work to a panel of editors, etc., then I think acceptances take a longer time.

I've had fast acceptances and slow acceptances. I don't think I've ever had a fast refusal. It's tempting to try to analyze and figure out some sort of system, but I really don't think there's much chance of success--there are just too many variables.
    Agreed. I know quite a few people who've subbed to Samhain specifically and had both rejections and acceptances within a few weeks or right around the 16-week mark, plus everywhere in between. Seems to me the wait time has less to do with the odds of rejection/acceptance, and more to do with the sheer number of submissions and the workload of the editor who's looking at it.
    Lori
    Website * Blog * Twitter

AW Library: Lauren Gallagher * L. A. Witt * Lori A. Witt * Ann Gallagher

In-Progress:
    Going Overboard - 22,258 / 75,000

Having Her Back - Available Now!

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    With my first Samhain book, I had a request for a full within hours and the acceptance came about 4 weeks later.

With my second, it took about 4 months to receive the offer because my editor was swamped and traveling. I think I nudged a little because the no response was odd from her.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Kinnard View Post
    General question, not necessarily focused on Samhain but on royalty-paying pubs in general: is a long wait a good sign? All my long waits so far have ended in Rs. I've had several novels accepted around the three month mark, one additional one bought on proposal and another in a week.

Mods, please move to the appropriate forum if I've made a mis-step.

Thoughts on this in general, anyone?
    I don't know if we can safely come up with a generalization here. I think it depends on the house and the editor -- and what's going on in the editor's personal and professional life. I've waited over 24 weeks, and it doesn't feel very positive to me, but this is what the editor said in an old interview about long wait times -- while he was still with Leisure.

http://www.horrorworld.org/Interviews/dondauria.htm

"HW: Many authors report very long wait times on their submissions to Leisure. What is a typical wait time, and is it a good sign if the writer hasn’t heard anything in a year or more?

DD: I admit that the sheer volume of submissions can force me to take longer than I’d like to get back to some people, but you don’t hear about all the submissions that are sent back within two weeks. You have to remember I only have twenty-four slots every year, and those slots were all filled last year and the year before that, etc. So for every manuscript I buy, I have to create room for it, and that takes time. Generally, if I’ve held onto a manuscript, it means I’ve seen something good in it. Rejections can be done very quickly and much more easily. So in many cases, no news really can be good news."

When I look at this and consider how many people have had to wait over a year for word on their subs, my 24 weeks seems pretty insignificant. We usually get a faster turnaround with e-Pubs, but they're relatively new. I think it's good to keep in mind that long waits have been the norm in publishing... short is not the rule.
    Last edited by sumthinirote; 01-17-2012 at 09:16 PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JP Walters's Avatar
    So to make a long story short:

Who knows?

So, today marks the end of week 16. I guess I'll send in a query tomorrow. I really hate bugging editors, but if nothing else I just hope to find out if it's even still being considered.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Walters View Post
    So, today marks the end of week 16. I guess I'll send in a query tomorrow. I really hate bugging editors, but if nothing else I just hope to find out if it's even still being considered.
    Good luck on your followup. I'm at 26 weeks and waiting. Last I heard, he was still considering mine.

Despite the slow response time, I subbed a m/m space opera to Samhain this afternoon. I figure I might have the sequel done and edited before anyone gets back to me.

Even with longer response times, I still think it's worth the effort. Samhain seems like a great publisher, so I'm willing to wait however long is needed for a fair shot.

Good luck on your submission!

And on yours, too. Samhain has a great rep among authors. If I get faster nibbles, I'll notify them.

Abnormal Romance Author thethinker42's Avatar
    Good luck to both of you! Samhain is wonderful to work with, so definitely worth the wait IMHO.
    Lori
    Website * Blog * Twitter

AW Library: Lauren Gallagher * L. A. Witt * Lori A. Witt * Ann Gallagher

In-Progress:
    Going Overboard - 22,258 / 75,000

Having Her Back - Available Now!

Er, Lori, your glowing earlier reports were one reason I subbed to them.

barefoot in some creek up some dark holler
    I got a nice personal rejection from them today - I'm thinking about printing it out and hanging it on the wall for posterity.

Banned

In far off Bulgaria

This happened about a year and a half ago, and I only remembered now that I can mention it here.

Was in Bulgaria (Austria-sized place flanked by Turkey, Greece, Serbia, Macedonia, Rumania, and the Black Sea) and went to a neighborhood supermarket called 'Fantastiko' and went through the books in the fiction section.

Picked up a fat paranormal paperback, in Bulgarian, and the original publisher was Samhain. I double-checked, surprised, but it was indeed Samhain. Totally don't remember what the book was or who by. By some woman, I think.

So there: Samhain is a serious enough outfit to have translated paperbacks in supermarkets in picturesque European lands. Report over.

Submitted to Don D'Auria 30 weeks ago, chased it three times, and received form rejection today.

Outside the box, with the bunnehz KimJo's Avatar
    Today's the three-month mark since I submitted, so I might hear soon. Or not. I'm taking the "no news is good news" approach with them
    as Jo Ramsey:
    My YA site
    My YA library
    COMING SOON:
    Midnight Chat, Harmony Ink, February 2017
    Dolphins in the Mud, Harmony Ink, August 2017

I think I got a rejection from them in about the 6-8 week mark. My fantasy m/m just wasn't right for them at the time, but I'd certainly consider them again.

Take care,
    Annette

Love or duty - which would you choose?
    M/M Fantasy Romance
    The Chosen out now

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chosen-ebook/dp/B004GHN4OW

Quote Originally Posted by sumthinirote View Post
    Submitted to Don D'Auria 30 weeks ago, chased it three times, and received form rejection today.
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. After that long of a wait, you'd think a personal rejection would be in order at least. Makes me wonder how long I might have had to wait had I not been accepted elsewhere. Keep trying!

Thanks JP, and congrats with your other offer... that's a pretty big deal! I'd love to get accepted by them! The collector's editions they put out are truly a thing of beauty.

practical experience, FTW Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
    If anyone is curious here are word count limits:

Samhain doesn’t consider any material below 12,000 words or above 130,000. So if your manuscript falls outside those limits, we’re sorry—we can’t consider it. However, although we don’t publish books above 120,000 words, we are happy to consider submissions with a word count of up to 130,000, on the understanding that the author will edit out at least 10,000 words before a contract is offered.
    Link: http://www.samhainpublishing.com/submission-faqs/#1.13

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse Foinah's Avatar
    The website seems to be down. Anyone have any insight as to the outage?
    Cheers
    Release date 10/24/2014
    ebook and print

Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
    Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
    Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)

Stop in, have a cup of tea and a smile, and say Hello in the Pagan Forum

Purple hair, not prose. VanessaNorth's Avatar
    Fionah, one of the Samhain editors mentioned something on twitter about an email outage, so I assume it is some kind of domain-wide outage.

Page 39 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1429333435363738394041424344454964 ... LastLast