• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. (giggling wildly over the bow-chick-a-wow-wow)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
More Samhain news

Samhain and Fictionwise has reached an agreement and will be working directly with Fictionwise! Scott Pendergrast and I reached an agreement in terms that satisfied both parties this week and today I signed the contracts.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Minor correction but we're not currently accepting any YA. We accept all subgenres of romance, and science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy with romantic elements. We're closed to all other genres at this time.

emlynley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emlynley.com
Books of at least 50,000 words or longer will go into print. Single author anthologies will be considered for print once an author has several shorter works suitable for print together.

Does that mean all books of that length go to print, or just selected ones based on ebook sales?

Thanks.

Em

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All books of about that length. The wordcount is a rough guide because it comes down to the number of pages in the finished product.

Last edited:

emlynley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emlynley.com
All book of about that length. The wordcount is a rough guide because it comes down to the number of pages in the finished product.

Thanks! The ones I'm thinking about subbing to them are 85,000+ so I think they'd qualify. It seems that many of the other publishers only choose books to print after seeing the ebook sales, so Samhain appears to be taking a different approach.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Emily is correct. We don't base on ebook sales because books that sell well in ebook might not do well in print and vice versa. Actually, we have a book that's only been on the print shelves about six months, that didn't sell well in ebook but has been a fabulous seller for us in print.

etali

Registered
Reaction score
I was just looking at the Samhain web site, and I see that there is a section for Non Fiction, but no books under that category at the moment. Are non fiction submissions being taken at the moment?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Minor correction but we're not currently accepting any YA. We accept all subgenres of romance, and science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy with romantic elements. We're closed to all other genres at this time.

AJ, is Samhain interested in genre/romances with adult protagonists but without any bow-chica-wow-wow?

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
@etali You might find a visit to our submissions page helpful in answering some of your basic questions: http://samhainpublishing.com/submissions but no, we are not accepting non-fiction

@unimportant Sex is not required. Only romance. Many authors can sell the romance without sex.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Angela:

Your words

Sex is not required. Only romance. Many authors can sell the romance without sex

Such beautiful music to my ears. :) I have some sex or none and of course more romance in my stories. Good grief...:snoopy: your news is the best I've heard for weeks. Everything is a little dismal in my life for this Christmas.
You must be a Christmas angel.

You've given me incentive. :)

Thanks, Angela the Angel :)

Cheers, Josie

Mireyah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
m-wolfe.blogspot.com
Our contract requests full rights to the work, including both digital and print, is fully negotiable and available for review upon acceptance of your story.

Forgive me, I'm very new to this, but what exactly does this mean? What all kinds of rights? Like I said: very new! : )

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
I'll echo Angie's comment about sex vs. love. I write contemporary romance for Samhain and have no sex in my books - not that I'm against it at all; I'm just more interested in exploring romance and the emotional side of human connections.

And on a sidenote, my most recent release with them, ONE NIGHT IN MEMPHIS, just finalled in the EPPIES (Contemporary Romance category) - and the book has one single kiss in it. The rest is all romance in conversation and touch and innuendo and conflict. I kid you not. :)

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Allie: Fabulous news about finaling in EPPIES!!! :hooray:

And thanks for the more good news about Samhain! :)

Cheers, Josie