• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Lorna Peel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lornapeel.com
Hi, I'm new! :hi:

I've just submitted a contemporary romance with a family history/genealogy twist to it to Samhain so let's see how that goes down with them! :) I hope there's enough romance in it to satisfy. :Shrug:

Anyway, fingers and toes crossed!

:hi:

Linda Rigel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in too

I submitted mine too, just about an hour ago. It's an old-fashioned family saga/romance, completely out of style. Gah! I've fallen in love with all my characters, though, and I have no judgment.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
from their site:
Samhain Publishing is now open to general submissions of all genres of romance and erotica, as well as fantasy, urban fantasy and science fiction with strong romantic elements. We are refocusing our efforts and will no longer be accepting submissions in other genres for the time being.

I think they did accept fantasy etc without romance, but now there must be some romance.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Which means if you have a fantasy with a romantic subplot, you can submit. I think. Doesn't have to be out-and-out Romance - sweet romance, for example, has no sex (is that right?) - but there are the mushy feelings.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean list of accepted/published genres?

Please explain.

thanks.

Yes. Samhain used to accept a far wider genre range. Since Christmas they've returned to the romance niche they famous for. That said, they do consider/accept other genres as long as they have a romantic element--as other's have noted. :)

Best of luck.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Which means if you have a fantasy with a romantic subplot, you can submit. I think. Doesn't have to be out-and-out Romance - sweet romance, for example, has no sex (is that right?) - but there are the mushy feelings.

Sweet romances tend to allude to sex, but in 99% of the time you're left with them "going into the bedroom and shutting the door". Oh yeah, the reader knows what's going on in there, but you don't see it. How ya doin', Christine?

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
They're doing great. :) The dh got a promotion. Yay! More writing stuffies for me...

As not to hijack the thread, I wish everyone good luck in their submissions. My first book was through Samhain, but was rejected for my last two. They're fabulous people to work with.

Letsplaydressup

Registered
Reaction score
Question about Samhain

I have a question about this publisher. I understand that they are primarily an e-publisher but they do seem to do books in print as well. I have actually bought a few and read them. However, what dictates which books will be an e-book and which will be put into print?

I would love to submit to them, they seem very approachable. I have to admit, I don't have a lot of interest in being an "e-book" writer. Maybe that's a little selfish of me and I appologize but it's just how I feel.

Any how, if anyone can give me a little insite I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Usually it's length that determines what goes into print. At least that's the current criteria, as I understand it. Novella length does not get put into print, but novel length does. I think the cutoff was somewhere in the neighborhood of 60,000 words.

And you'd be surprised - some of the ebooks do remarkably well.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Samhain has an agreement with Kensington publishing. At least 6 books from Samhain will be released in print by Kensington as part of a "Samhain" line (like they ahve the Zebra line for historicals and the Aphrodesia line for erotics).

No word on which books, or when exactly but it is expected to be within the next year.

If you google Samhain Kensington you should find the announcement made in June or July of 2007.