Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 26 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16202122232425262728293031323651 ... LastLast

Thread: Samhain Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    ---This is _exactly_ the info I got from RWA. They are closed to submissions right now unless you have an agent or are already contracted with them. Of course, that might change later, but the only reason I could sub to them when I did was because I went through my agent.
    Ah, okay. From your post I thought you were saying you'd been told they were no longer going to be accepting non-agented submissions. Which sounded like misleading information (presumably RWA's fault, not yours!), because it's only true in a strictly temporary sense. So, as that's the sort of thing that causes anxiety and concern in non-agented writers, I thought it was worth clarifying.

And this isn't something that "might" change; this is something that will change--Samhain's submissions page is very clear that it is temporary only.

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar
    Thank you Angela for coming on and clearing up some of these concerns. I still have not had a reply to my submission of "Jeffrey" on Oct. 4th 2007 I sent an email to the publisher because the editor address will not respond. Don't know if any one else is still waiting but I am.

Jennifer Robins

We do have an agreement with Kensington but none of us (including Kensington) know if the books will be in mass market or trade paperback.
    Angela, thanks for this clarification. I know I read a press release about this alliance between Samhain and Kensington somewhere (I forget where; maybe Samhain's Myspace page?) that stated the agreement would allow Samhain to leverage Kensington's considerable mass-market distribution capabilities. Any idea when this will all be hashed out?

My agent subbed my novel to your company about 3 weeks ago. I hope you find him as good to work with as I do!
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine

savvy editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Robins View Post
    Thank you Angela for coming on and clearing up some of these concerns. I still have not had a reply to my submission of "Jeffrey" on Oct. 4th 2007 I sent an email to the publisher because the editor address will not respond. Don't know if any one else is still waiting but I am.

Jennifer Robins
    Jennifer, for some reason, the mail server we use through Google has an issue with some email servers and while the mail doesn't make it to us, you also don't receive an error message. So it's probable if you didn't get an answer from the editor address, it never made it through. I have an author whose emails to me never make it. Very frustrating. My suggestion is to email the editor inbox from a different email address. If you don't receive a personal reply in about 3 business days, it never made it. Our submissions coordinator, Marty Matthews, is excellent about answering emails so I can only imagine we never received emails from you.

Sakamonda: yes, mass market is an option but not a certainty. As for when we'll know, hopefully soon

Thanks again, Angela,
    I just sent an email to Marty. The email I sent to editor did come back with something like "Closed to submissions." So I think my email is going through. The other email I sent was to the publisher and I did not get a reply so I'll see how this one to Marty does.

Thanks again,
    Jennifer Robins

practical experience, FTW Khazarkhum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela James View Post
    We are temporarily closed to general submissions with the exception of special projects, agented submissions and by editor invitation. That's a temporary situation while I hire new editors.

We do have an agreement with Kensington but none of us (including Kensington) know if the books will be in mass market or trade paperback. Emily is correct when she says it will be only a small percentage of our catalog--no more than two books a month and the first two will release in January 2009. Otherwise we have two other print programs for the remaining portion of our catalog that are print length.

We have worked with 10 to 15 agents, including agents such as Deidre Knight and Roberta Brown. We have a wonderful working relationship with the agents who have submitted their clients' work to us.

Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion!
    Angela, thank you for dropping by. I have a question.

Why did Samhain contract with Kensington instead of simply expanding the existing print programs?

I finally recieved a reply. Seems they did send others but those didn't get through to me. Why? I don't know. Any way my work was rejected. I suppose the new policy had something to do with it.The email was completmentary so I don't feel too bad about it.
    I have my other one with Wild Rose to concentrate on right now and I'm happy about that.

Jennifer Robins

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazarkhum View Post
    Why did Samhain contract with Kensington instead of simply expanding the existing print programs?
    Obviously I can't speak for Angela, but I suspect the answer has to do with distribution.

- Victoria

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    I would agree. Again, not speaking for Angela, but with the Kensington deal, Kensington is using their money and clout to get the books distributed through their bigger network, while SP provides the raw material.

Or something like that. I could be completely off-base.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

practical experience, FTW kiwiauthor's Avatar
    Jennifer, sorry to hear about the rejection.

savvy editor
    Yes, distribution and marketing, as well as the future potential for mass market. All of those things are expensive. We do have a print program called IPS, through which we have larger print numbers, but we are a long way from mass market and from the distribution numbers we can get through Kensington.

It's a very smart plan.
    Christine

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

I tweet

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiauthor View Post
    Jennifer, sorry to hear about the rejection.
    Thanks,
    It is sometimes hard to figure. This novel, "Jeffrey" has been accepted by two publishers already but one went under before it came to print, the other had problems and I had to pull it out of there and now this. Huh, it will probably become a best seller some day.

Thanks again and the best to you,

Jennifer Robins

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    I'm sorry about the rejection as well. Here's a few just in case.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Thanks again,
    AS soon as I get through the revisions on the other novel that is going to Wild Rose, (they offered a contract) I will then get back to "Jeffrey" and do something with it. It is not exactly a romance novel even though there are some love scenes, so I will have to look else where.
    I don't think of rejections as a bad thing, especially when the MS was well recieved by others but just didn't work out. I trully beleive there is a place for all of my work and I will find it.
    I hope, if there are any of you still waiting, you get a better response and an offer.
    Good luck to all of you,

Jennifer Robins
    www.jenniferrobins.com

... time to bump this truly wonderful thread

Tell us about your dealing with Samhain over the last month.

Sockpuppet
    Which all seems to me to answer the question of whether it is possible for a small press to grow. Yes, it is. Many will go under. Probably most will stay tiny. But they aren't necessarily to be dismissed out-of-hand.

So far, so good.
    Nothing much to report. Book release in two weeks. Been talking with marketing off and on. Waiting for final files and reviews to come in. Fortunately it's not my job to send the book to the reviewers, unless I want to send to someone they don't.
    Christine

I tweet

Love Samhain, love my editor. I placed my first novel with them a year ago and signed a second contract a couple of weeks ago. My first one releases in print this May. They're professional and aggressive in terms of marketing and promo, yet friendly and easy to deal with from the publisher on down. For an e-pub I'd say they're one of the best. I'm published with another e-pub and the experience has been OK but not as good as Samhain.

Samhain is reopen for general submission. Their requirements have changed though. Check out their website.

www.samhainpublishing.com

Strong romantic elements required...oh well, I can't write romance to save my life. XD

ideas are floating where they will Stlight's Avatar
    where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
    Assorted words, you and me both, XD.
    And I almost had one ready for them, shot down and squashed.

Stlight

Hey Veinglory! Just to let you know that KoDKoM has just arrived in my local book shop and is waiting for me to collect it! You'll be happy to know that the shop had no problems ordering it. It's costing me sixteen euro which is steep enough, but as it was ordered specially that's understandable enough. ( at the time I wanted to sub to Samhain and was checking out thier distribution, hence I didn't buy from the net)

I thought you'd get a kick out of knowing that it's available all the way over here in Europe :0)

Well, I put mine in. Wish me luck!

Best of luck, RTH.

I notice their wait time has doubled to 16 weeks.

Page 26 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16202122232425262728293031323651 ... LastLast