The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Samhain Publishing

practical experience, FTW Josie's Avatar
    I've been looking over Samhain Publishing and decided to submit a novel to them also--hopefully they will accept my submissions.:0

I like the look of them and what they say about publishing authors.

I'm going to trust and hope they survive.

I'll keep you posted also.

Cheers
    Last edited by Josie; 08-11-2006 at 04:55 AM.

practical experience, FTW Manat's Avatar
    Any further news from those who went this route?

Quote Originally Posted by Manat
    Any further news from those who went this route?
    Speaking as a browser and not as someone who has submitted to them (yet ), I have seen even more of their books in the local Borders. Not sure about the Barnes & Noble, but that B&N seems to carry fewer romance small press titles. I think they're in Borders Express & Waldens as well. They also have more books available (both print and e-book) and are adding new titles on a regular basis.

For what it's worth... Romance readers are so savvy that once an e-book publisher is established, they know which day of the week the new books go up for sale on the site. I saw a recent discussion of e-book release dates, and Samhain is already on the list of e-book publishers with a regular day on which their new releases are available (Tuesday).
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Mine won't be out until next year but the signs continue to look good as mentioned above.
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar

Samhain Publishers

I saw quite a while ago on this board that Samhain Publishers takes novels of 65,000 + straight to print. Is this true, or are they primarily an e-pub? Has anyone seen their books in bookstores?
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Gifted Goofball
    I think they e-pub everything first, and then print pub novels later...?

Books over 65,000 always go to print after 6 months (to allow sending of ARCs etc). However in terms of sales is may or may not be fair to say they are primarily an epub, I don't know.

I don't know in general but I see about a dozen Samhain titles in my local store, all in the romance section. It is easy to chack. Just go to the TPB shelves and look for the red logo at the top of the spine.
    Emily Veinglory

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar

Thumbs up

I'll let you know, Toni. My book is scheduled for release in April of this year. So, anytime after that(3-6mos.) in print.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Quote Originally Posted by Branwyn
    I'll let you know, Toni. My book is scheduled for release in April of this year. So, anytime after that(3-6mos.) in print.
    Great Branwyn! Good luck. Yes, I'd be interested to know your experience, in case I decide to submit there.
    Toni
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com

I know they have a great reputation, their authors love them.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar

Thumbs up

Not that I have anything to compare it to, but so far it's fantastic. The folks there are wonderful, helpful, and just plain nice. I even got a Holiday card from them!

I'd give it a shot Toni, there are a lot of people (I'm not one but...) that love ebooks. I've even found groups at Myspace dedicated to reducing the amount of pirated(?) ebooks. ARRRRR
    Seriously, people like them(ebooks) and they go into print.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

I always thought they specialized in horror/supernatural genre. Do they take other types of ms as well?
    Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Toni1953
    I always thought they specialized in horror/supernatural genre. Do they take other types of ms as well?

http://samhainpublishing.com/
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

American Aquarium Drinker pepperlandgirl's Avatar
    I've got a total of 3 books contracted with them now. The author copies of my first novel were delivered two days ago. I like to hold them. They're very pretty.

Everything above 65K does go straight to print (it used to be 3 months but now it's six I believe), and the books are available in Borders and Walden Books.

Unfortunately, my lowest sale figures are with them. I don't know if that's because my book is a suspense contemporary (paranormal is much more popular now), or if it's they don't have a huge reading base, or if I just suck. Or a combination of the 3.

They are a small press and issue a great many books. I have two books contracted with them and realistic expectations. I greatly appreciate them taking everything to print rather than using that as an ever-elusive carrotand getting at least some titles in chain books stores--but expect they will not be my top sellers across publishers at this point--if only because they are new and very prolific.
    Emily Veinglory

lurking behind that corner.. heatheringemar's Avatar
    I'm just curious about the print issue; are they a print-on-demand type publisher? Or do they only print books of a specific length, after a set amount of time??
    web : twitter : goodreads : myspace : love the spooky.

"Requiem" voted TOP TEN YA BOOK FOR 2009 at Preditors & Editors!!!

They are an ebook/print on demand publisher, all books over 65,000 words go to print about 6 months after ebook release (to allow time to send out ARCS etc). If ou go to your local chain book store you will be able to see some examples, most likely in the trade paperback shelves in the romance genresection.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    If ou go to your local chain book store you will be able to see some examples, most likely in the trade paperback shelves in the romance genresection.
    Well, that's more than one other POD publisher i know does.
    Toni

No mean feat to get POD books on store shelves. They must have one hell of a loyal distributor, or somebody owed them favors.

Tri

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    It's best not to confuse digital printing technology with the print-on-demand business model.

Ya there is absolutely nothing that says you can't have the usual discount and returnability of off set printing with POD. Lightening Source says on its web page these are up the publisher.

Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it, that some POD publishers care enough to get their books actually on the shelves while others do not...
    Toni

If you go to the tradepaperback sections at any bookstore you should be able to find books by the smaller presses who POD--but especially in the romance area. Samhain books can be spotted by the red, rectangular logo at the top of the spine.
    Emily Veinglory

American Aquarium Drinker pepperlandgirl's Avatar
    Samhain is available at Borders and Walden books for now. It's usually shelved with Ellora's Cave, Changeling Press, Phaze, and (I *believe*) Loose ID. They also provide 10 author copies, and I'm very pleased with the overall quality and look of the books. Some epublishers have books that look less than stellar when actually put in print, namely because the covers weren't really designed with print in mind. But Samhain, near as I can tell, was always meant to be both an epub and a print publisher, and the books were designed with that in mind.

*insert catchy phrase here* BarbaraSheridan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    No mean feat to get POD books on store shelves. They must have one hell of a loyal distributor, or somebody owed them favors.

Tri
    Samhain publisher Cris Brashear was with Ellora's Cave as they built their little empire. She knows her stuff.
    ~Barbara Sheridan~
    Barb's website
    Falling Through Glass ~ On sale now! Paperback and ebook

Check out the "story behind the story", too.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678122752 ... LastLast