The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718192021254065 ... LastLast

Thread: Samhain Publishing

Frustrated Pluviophile seaaircarol's Avatar
    Maybe the same thing will happen to you that happened to me--later on you will get a more detailed rejection. Perhaps they send a form along so you're not kept waiting, and then later they say more. I don't know, though. I'm just guessing. It sounds like most people are only getting one response from them.

Again, sorry.

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    Rats - sorry to hear about the bad news...
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Bummer, David.
    I do have to say they have the nicest rejections I've ever received. (I got a rejection first, then a request to resubmit if I rewrote and fixed the problems she had, THEN I got an acceptance.)
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Thanks all. My rej wasn't nice. Not that it was mean or anything, just a standard no thanks kinda thing.
    If I had a signature, you'd be reading it right now.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    That stinks. Sorry.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Quote Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
    That stinks. Sorry.
    S'okay.

Part of the biz. I'll live.

Thanks, though.

Sorry to hear that, David! About your rejection, it could be they're swamped right now and don't always have time to give a critique.
    Visit my website!

Quote Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
    Sorry to hear that, David! About your rejection, it could be they're swamped right now and don't always have time to give a critique.
    Thanks, but again, it's not that big a deal. I'll live. Rejection is part of the business. I was disappointed, sure, but life goes on. Currently working on another novel, after which I plan a rewrite of this one and then off to more houses (there are plenty of them out there).

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by David McAfee View Post
    Well, the word is in, and that word is No.

Ah, well...

Sorry, David. Is this submission the novel you mention on your blog, that has gotten you favorable feedback from other editors?
    You got your rejection right at the twelve week mark.
    I'm still waiting on mine.
    There was a recent discussion on Romancing the Blog, I think, where Samhain editors were talking about giving up on critiquing rejections and just sending forms instead. It looks like they decided to go ahead with it. You and I just have bad timing. :/ It's a shame because I was looking forward to a sentence or two of feedback. It would've been helpful and a nice change of pace from the forms.
    Probably Samhain's deal with Kensington has changed things to the point where they can't spare time to offer feedback anymore.

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    According to Angela James' post on RTB, part of the decision was based on a writer who publicly criticized her personalized rejection on her blog and to discourage people rewriting and resubmitting based on the points offered in a personalized rejection. It also discourages rants to the editors themselves from authors. It's also a lot less time consuming as well. Personalized or not, rejections still suck.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Quote Originally Posted by JamesAllen View Post
    Sorry, David. Is this submission the novel you mention on your blog, that has gotten you favorable feedback from other editors?
    Yup. Same one.

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar
    Way back in Aug. I submitted my MS only to find out the first of Oct. that they never got it, so I had to send it again. Now I wait again.

Jennifer Robins

Frustrated Pluviophile seaaircarol's Avatar
    Good luck, Jennifer!
    The Princess and the Poison, the first cozy in the Storybook Park Mystery series, is now available at most e-book retailers.

www.carolayer.com

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Chick View Post
    According to Angela James' post on RTB, part of the decision was based on a writer who publicly criticized her personalized rejection on her blog and to discourage people rewriting and resubmitting based on the points offered in a personalized rejection. It also discourages rants to the editors themselves from authors. It's also a lot less time consuming as well. Personalized or not, rejections still suck.

I received a personalized rejection earlier this year, and i did rewrite, but another small press bought the original version before i resent it to Samhain. I sent them another novel and received the aforementioned form rejection about two weeks ago.

It is a shame, becasue the personalized rejections did help me in recrafting the story. Just like High School - one sour apple has to spoil the barrel for the rest of us.
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Quote Originally Posted by Toni1953 View Post
    It is a shame, becasue the personalized rejections did help me in recrafting the story. Just like High School - one sour apple has to spoil the barrel for the rest of us.
    That's what I was thinking! I really appreciated the critique I got with my rejection, and it not only helped me in my rewrite but it also made me realize that the same problem the editor saw in this book is a recurring problem in all my writing. I'm awed, frankly, because even my writing group (a savvy bunch of published writers) hadn't pinpointed it.
    Visit my website!

Quote Originally Posted by Toni1953 View Post

My thoughts exactly. It only takes one selfish, clueless idiot to ruin things for the rest of us. I was really looking forward to their observations, too.

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post
    Good luck, Jennifer!
    Thank you.

practical experience, FTW kiwiauthor's Avatar
    ... this is an amazing thread. It's fantastic to hear good things about small publishers.

It's not often I send hours reading a thread from beginning to end, but this one was worth every minute. To all involved, thanks for the entertainment and information, I learnt a great deal.

Not about to miss-out on all the fun, I submitted to Samhain, (they seem like a rarity in this business and would be great people to work with; goes for their authors too.).

Update: I was shocked to receive a request for a full two days after submitting a synopsis and the first three chapters on an epic fantasy no less.

Congratulations to all those who received contracts, and commiserations to those who received rejects. We all know how the latter feels! But, by jove, doesn't it feel much better when it come from an editor who actually gives a damn .

Alex.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    Good luck Alex!
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Good luck! I subbed to Samhain because of this thread too--it's certainly exciting and uplifting to read. I still hold out hope that I can place something with them eventually.
    Visit my website!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiauthor View Post
    Update: I was shocked to receive a request for a full two days after submitting a synopsis and the first three chapters on an epic fantasy no less.
    Two days--wow. Congratulations, Alex. I hope they send you a quick acceptance for the full.
    I sent a synopsis and my first three chapters 13 weeks ago and am still waiting to hear. I must be doing something wrong. Who is your editor, do you know?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Good to hear Alex. I am assuming you are a NZer, that makes you -- as far as I know -- the second in the Samhain stable of authors (points to sig)
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW kiwiauthor's Avatar
    Thank's guys. Toni, I'm going to check out your books, they look interesting. Goes for the rest of you 'published' kind too . Saanen, best of luck on the requested full. Who's it with?

James ... I suspect it is as others have said here, the waiting is relative to what genre you are submitting. The editor who read the frist three chapters and made the request for a full was Eve Joyce.

Veinglory: Aoteroan apteryx, just like you Great to see you doing so well so far from the nest.

Thanks again, for the support, guys. I'd buy a round, but since we're on line, it'll have to be rep. points instead.

I'll keep everyone informed.

Alex.
    Last edited by kiwiauthor; 11-10-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Saanen, best of luck on the requested full. Who's it with?
    That was my Samhain request, actually. They ended up passing on it, but the editor gave me some really excellent advice, so it was almost as good as an acceptance.

(Peter Jackson lives next door and I was a hobbit int he making of LotRs with the rest of our tiiny population.
    Okay, that is seriously awesome!
    Visit my website!

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718192021254065 ... LastLast