Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314151617182237 ... LastLast

Thread: Samhain Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Smile Submissions Editor for Samhain?

Do you guys know which editor to direct a submission to? I see at the site that there is a submissions link and a short list of names of some of the editors at Samhain, but I'm not sure whose name should go in the "Dear Ms. --"

Who did you send your subs to? Thanks for your help.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The submission link says they are closed to submissions: "Samhain is temporarily closing to open-call submissions, due to the volume routinely received and that we are heading into conference season."

When they are open I believe you are meant to use the generic email editor@, in which case I imagine the letter would be addressed 'Dear Samhain Editor'? Unless it is for a special call in which case you can use the name given for that project.
    Last edited by veinglory; 08-06-2007 at 12:28 AM.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Yep, once the submission is received it's routed to an editor. You don't know which one, so I'd stick with 'Dear Editor' or something. I can't for the life of me remember what greeting I used.

When they re-open.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Working In A Coal Mine... Sonarbabe's Avatar
    I addressed mine to Christina Brashear, but it was routed to Carrie Jackson instead. No one said anything about it since there was no specific editor to address. Plus, I'm sure they're used to that. Fine by me. Carrie is an absolute doll to work with.
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
    2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.

Yeppers! She's the best.

There you are, Monica! I haven't heard from you in forever, I was starting to wonder what happened to you.
    Christine

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

I tweet

Whose Idea Was This? seaaircarol's Avatar
    Thanks for the great info, everyone! I submitted to Samhain today. I wonder if they'll be swamped!

Yep, I just saw on MySpace that they're open to general subs again as of today.

Have at it and good luck!
    Christine

I tweet

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    And they're off! Clean break from the gate, and it's seaaircarol in the lead, with Chumplet coming up fast on the outside.... and down the stretch they come! I'd better get cracking and submit.

Thanks for the good wishes, Christine, and good luck, Chumplet!

I didn't get an auto-reply yet, but I'm trying not to fret. I think it's because they had to change their old message.

However, I'll be interested to know if you get one, Chumplet.

I finally got an auto-reply, but it says they're still closed to subs. However, I checked out Angie's blog, and she says not to worry about it--they're still changing the message.

Mine was the standard auto-reply, and it's been updated with a 10-12 week response window. Good luck to all of us!

I just saw that on myspace too! Whoot whoot!

I'm probably going to send my submission in by the end of the week, just to make sure everything is 100% perfect, or as good as I can make it.

Apryl
    WHEN I am a best-selling author...did I say when? Yes! WHEN! Not "if."

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein

Good luck, Apryl!

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    I sent mine in (think they're tearing their hair out yet ) and the auto responder said they were still closed. But, me being glass-half-full just thought "Not what the website said. Bet they haven't changed it yet."

How's that for positive??? So unlike me
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I sent them a partial today. I wonder how many of their editors read the gay romance submissions. Do you think if there's only one editor working on them, it will take much longer than average to hear back?

Also wonder if all the First Line Contest submissions went back out today. If so, then they must be swamped.
    Last edited by JamesAllen; 08-07-2007 at 05:54 AM.

Thank you Seaaircarol!!

Good luck to everyone who is submitting to them.

Apryl

I got my rejection today. But it was a GREAT one!

"We thank you for giving Samhain Publishing the opportunity to review your work for possible publication. Unfortunately, there are some issues with the manuscript that prevent us from offering a contract. (Offer contract? On a partial?)

You write very well, and I was intrigued by the professional hockey backdrop to your story. (Yay!) However, from your partial and synopsis it seems that the villain, Sheila, takes up a significant amount of the book. Given her drug-addiction issues and the amount of space devoted to developing her story, I would hope to see her redeemed in the end, at least partially. Unfortunately, it seems she remains a one-dimensional villain, even capable of killing innocent children in her jealous pursuit of a boyfriend. (Darn...) My main concern is that the hero’s involvement with and sympathy for a woman like this calls his own strength of character into question. (Oops, gotta beef up this hero guy!)

While this particular story did not work for me, I do appreciate your submission to Samhain Publishing and wish you good luck in the future."

Now, I call that a helpful rejection! I'll consider her comments, but keep in mind that another editor requested the full based on the same partial and synopsis.

Working In A Coal Mine... Sonarbabe's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that you were rejected, Chumplet. However, that was a very "nice" rejection. My editor turned down my second submission to her, but she gave me some wonderful reasons. (Wow...real honest to Gosh reasons for rejection!) I hope you have better luck with those fulls!!
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
    2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.

Wow, condering how inundated Samhain must be, for them to send you such a great crit is beyond exemplary. I love it when I get enough information that helps me to really size up my story and see some faults. And of course it's always nice to have your strengths pointed out to help with that ole ego thing.

Samhain. The Force is strong with this one.

Tri

Tri, you have no idea
    Christine

I tweet

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Gay romance is a major subgenre at Samhain. If anything I imagine they would have more editors in that area

figuring it all out
    I got a quick rejection too.

Ixchel, how long did it take for them to reject your submission? I haven't heard back from them yet. Mine has been with them since August 8th, but it says it'll take 8-10 weeks for a response.

Does anyone know if Selena James (from Kensington) and Angela James are related? Just wondered, since their last names are the same.

Apryl

Ahead of Your Time Chicken Warrior's Avatar
    Interesting...I wonder.

I'd definetly like to try Samhain with one or two novellas; it seems like there are very few titles with no romance whatsoever (any?). Is it worth sending them other stuff?

Well, I can tell you that I was rejected outright for two SF and two Fantasy novels (four total) that all had tepid romance/sex scenes. I just get the impression they like it hot, like their coffee. Once again, Paranormal Romance is showing its glorious face and popularity. Not to say that straight romance isn't a big market for them.

I wonder if they have the power and reach to eclipse Ellora's Cave, if it hasn't already happened. I like nothing better than to see original e-pub companies go print and cop good distribution. Says a lot about the future prosperity of the small press.

tri

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314151617182237 ... LastLast