• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Samhain's weblog. They have a contest. The contest will end on July 6th and a minimum of three entrants will be invited to submit their manuscript (first three chapters and complete synopsis, minimum) to Samhain Publishing for consideration for publication on our 2008 schedule.

Please read all the details at the blog.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
:)Woo Hoo Fabulous news about Samhain with Kensington!!:hooray:

Now if I can just edit this novel to my satisfaction, grrrrr

Hmmm as someone said here, I believe it was James, it's come down to taking the best pieces and making it a new novel!

:snoopy: Brilliant!

Cheers, Josie (can you tell I like the icons?)

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
Per Angie J's comment at Dear Author:
Our contract with Kensington isn’t erotic romance specific, so it won’t be only those that get printed through them

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent news about the spectrum of novels for Samhain and Kensington partnership.!!

Thanks :) Chibeth. As I've done erotica but it's not really my thing.

Cheers, Josie

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
Is this publisher open to query letters and the first five pages, as stated on their sub page? Or are they closed down except for editor requests and agent subs?

Tri

They're closed to subs right now, except for special projects (as mentioned on the submissions page). They are running a "first line" contest right now, though. Go here for more information. It's a good way to get your work read.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yep, closed until Sept. I believe. Between the Romantic Times convention, and BEA, and the dozen other cons they're doing, it's better if they don't try to much through all the subs on top of it.

Summer is hard on most publishers anyway. Everyone's on vacation :)

JamesAllen

Registered
Reaction score
Samhain's re-opening

Yep, closed until Sept. I believe. Between the Romantic Times convention, and BEA, and the dozen other cons they're doing, it's better if they don't try to much through all the subs on top of it.

Summer is hard on most publishers anyway. Everyone's on vacation :)

Any definite date yet for re-opening to general submissions, do you know?
I've been holding on to a manuscript and hoping August 1st, but it seems they're not ready for new subs yet. It would be helpful to know if it's going to be another month or two. Think I will go ahead and sub elsewhere instead (or meanwhile :D).

So many online markets "temporarily" closed for submissions these days. :(

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully they'll be re-opening for subs soon. They just hired 12 new editors, so that should help with the load a bit...

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
They had closed, I believe, because of the Romance convention season. Many of the staff were at RWA Nationals and/or Romantic Times convention. Then they lost an editor, which required shuffling of projects. And people go on vacation - publishing is even slower than usual in the summer, and that's overall.

I expect maybe September, which was what I thought was the original date. Maybe I'm thinking of my other publisher, who is reopening in Sept.

Was it 12 new editors? No, I think Angela's e-mail said it was six. Which is still great, considering they only lost one.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
OK so is Samhain a suitable publisher for a 100k word adventure fantasy, classic medieval with magic setting, mostly male POV protagonist, with a bit of romance?

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I emailed them about it and all they would tell me is they are reopening submissions "Very, very soon." I've been waiting to submit to them as well.

Waylander, it said on their web site they generally accept anything over 60,000 words, and also accept short stories and novellas. You can always email them and ask if you aren't sure.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
OK so is Samhain a suitable publisher for a 100k word adventure fantasy, classic medieval with magic setting, mostly male POV protagonist, with a bit of romance?

On their website, they have very, very few books that are outside the romance genre. But it could be worth a shot to send it.

KikiRue

Registered
Reaction score

IMO, yes. They've never been a romance-only publisher and, from what I've heard, are seriously looking to expand their offerings in other genres.

As for fantasy, according to this interview, Angie James (the exec. editor) enjoys reading fantasy/science fiction. Plus, check out this interview at Dear Author with Angie, where she discusses what she'd like to acquire outside the romance genre.

I'd go for it, if I were you. Good luck!

KikiRue

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
They had closed, I believe, because of the Romance convention season. Many of the staff were at RWA Nationals and/or Romantic Times convention. Then they lost an editor, which required shuffling of projects. And people go on vacation - publishing is even slower than usual in the summer, and that's overall.

I expect maybe September, which was what I thought was the original date. Maybe I'm thinking of my other publisher, who is reopening in Sept.

Was it 12 new editors? No, I think Angela's e-mail said it was six. Which is still great, considering they only lost one.

Heh, yeah it was 6. I'm guess I'm still a bit befuddled because the editor who left was my editor....that was fun (my book was delayed by 4 weeks). Though the editor we were assigned to is awesome, so I can't complain.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They do take other genres. Mine are both listed as fantasy romance but are more fantasy than romance. However, be aware that other genres are likely to sell less vigorously.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Oh, absolutely, all genres. I mean, the two books I have contracted with them are both YA fantasy. Not a hint of romance anywhere. Okay, maybe a teeny bit in the second one...but it's pre-teen romance. Barely an issue. Mostly monsters and mummies.

Last edited: