• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
They look like they've got their stuff together, so I was considering subbing my series to them if the publisher I've got on the line gets away. I especially like the fact that physical books have been found on shelves.

(I don't often do fish analogies, can ya tell?)

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
James said "It's best not to confuse digital printing technology with the print-on-demand business model."

As far as I know IMHO he's right. This is not a POD, where a customer orders ONE book and it's mailed from the small e-publisher. I think it has to do with how many they can get on the "real" shelves in bookstores. Do they still have that business that if the store can't sell them, that's their problem? They aren't like Harlequin/Silhouette who takes back the ones that don't sell. Have I got it right?

I don't expect I'll hear from Samhain Publishing for 8 weeks as they stated on their submissions page.

Cheers my dears :)

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I would assume, if they're being stocked in real brick and mortar stores, that SP has a return policy in place. Stores wouldn't take 'em otherwise.

Having a POD business model means what you said, Josie - no books are printed until ordered. Usually means no returns.

Using a digital printing facility - like Lightning Source - is just using technology to print books. You can print as many as you need at any given time. Digital printing as opposed to an offset press.

Advantage to digital printing - you can do smaller print runs. Disadvantage - usually more expensive per copy than offset. Smaller presses usually use digital because of the smaller print run advantage, but wind up charging a little higher cover price than a big company who uses offset presses and does huge print runs.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Ok, I asked if they would look at books for 9-12 year olds, and they said yes, so I subbed to them. (the other publisher I had been waiting for has put their children's line 'on hold', so I dusted off the old query letter, shined it up and sent it to three places)

We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the information, peeps!

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Good Luck! I'm having a great ride with Samhain so far!

I'm working on my final edits now for spring release. (April 24)

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Well, I submitted my story to them about twenty minutes ago. Now to hold my breath for the next 8-12 weeks while they decide whether or not I suck the big one. ;) From everything I've read in this thread, it would be great if they at least ask to see the rest of my story. (And I just made the 65,000 word cut off too. Ha!) Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes on this one!

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm....why not.

I guess I'll send my little book to them also once I'm done with this final edit to it. But my book comes in a little under 45,000 words. If they take it will it only be a ebook or is there a chance that it might be upgraded to a real paperback? Just wondering....:)

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I guess I'll send my little book to them also once I'm done with this final edit to it. But my book comes in a little under 45,000 words. If they take it will it only be a ebook or is there a chance that it might be upgraded to a real paperback? Just wondering....:)

I believe it says somewhere on their site books over 60,000 go to print, so you might want to double check with the editors when sending it in or add another 15,000 words (not easy, I know :.):)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I just received the art for the cover---it is SOOOO gorgeous!!! Anne did a fabulous job, better than I hoped for. They are really a great group to work with, I'm very happy.

I can't wait to show you the cover.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I received a reply today from the partial I sent asking to see the full for further consideration. Keep your fingers crossed for me, guys!! :D

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck all of you!!!
Excited for you.

Cheeers :snoopy:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've seen Branwyn's cover - it IS nice (it's on the Samhain site now.)

'Babe - I am SUPER excited for you. I'm glad I pointed you in their direction. Toni, hope your resubmit tickles their fancy.

I haven't heard anything yet, but it's only been what, two weeks? I sent the whole manuscript up front though, since they take it, along with my synopsis.

Last edited: