• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking over Samhain Publishing and decided to submit a novel to them also--hopefully they will accept my submissions.:0

I like the look of them and what they say about publishing authors.

I'm going to trust and hope they survive.

I'll keep you posted also.

Cheers:)

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Manat said:
Any further news from those who went this route?
Speaking as a browser and not as someone who has submitted to them (yet :D), I have seen even more of their books in the local Borders. Not sure about the Barnes & Noble, but that B&N seems to carry fewer romance small press titles. I think they're in Borders Express & Waldens as well. They also have more books available (both print and e-book) and are adding new titles on a regular basis.

For what it's worth... Romance readers are so savvy that once an e-book publisher is established, they know which day of the week the new books go up for sale on the site. I saw a recent discussion of e-book release dates, and Samhain is already on the list of e-book publishers with a regular day on which their new releases are available (Tuesday).

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Samhain Publishers

I saw quite a while ago on this board that Samhain Publishers takes novels of 65,000 + straight to print. Is this true, or are they primarily an e-pub? Has anyone seen their books in bookstores?

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I think they e-pub everything first, and then print pub novels later...?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Books over 65,000 always go to print after 6 months (to allow sending of ARCs etc). However in terms of sales is may or may not be fair to say they are primarily an epub, I don't know.

I don't know in general but I see about a dozen Samhain titles in my local store, all in the romance section. It is easy to chack. Just go to the TPB shelves and look for the red logo at the top of the spine.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I'll let you know, Toni. My book is scheduled for release in April of this year. So, anytime after that(3-6mos.) in print.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I have anything to compare it to, but so far it's fantastic. The folks there are wonderful, helpful, and just plain nice. I even got a Holiday card from them!

I'd give it a shot Toni, there are a lot of people (I'm not one but...) that love ebooks. I've even found groups at Myspace dedicated to reducing the amount of pirated(?) ebooks. ARRRRR
Seriously, people like them(ebooks) and they go into print.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a total of 3 books contracted with them now. The author copies of my first novel were delivered two days ago. I like to hold them. They're very pretty.

Everything above 65K does go straight to print (it used to be 3 months but now it's six I believe), and the books are available in Borders and Walden Books.

Unfortunately, my lowest sale figures are with them. I don't know if that's because my book is a suspense contemporary (paranormal is much more popular now), or if it's they don't have a huge reading base, or if I just suck. Or a combination of the 3.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They are a small press and issue a great many books. I have two books contracted with them and realistic expectations. I greatly appreciate them taking everything to print rather than using that as an ever-elusive carrotand getting at least some titles in chain books stores--but expect they will not be my top sellers across publishers at this point--if only because they are new and very prolific.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They are an ebook/print on demand publisher, all books over 65,000 words go to print about 6 months after ebook release (to allow time to send out ARCS etc). If ou go to your local chain book store you will be able to see some examples, most likely in the trade paperback shelves in the romance genresection.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
Ya there is absolutely nothing that says you can't have the usual discount and returnability of off set printing with POD. Lightening Source says on its web page these are up the publisher.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you go to the tradepaperback sections at any bookstore you should be able to find books by the smaller presses who POD--but especially in the romance area. Samhain books can be spotted by the red, rectangular logo at the top of the spine.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Samhain is available at Borders and Walden books for now. It's usually shelved with Ellora's Cave, Changeling Press, Phaze, and (I *believe*) Loose ID. They also provide 10 author copies, and I'm very pleased with the overall quality and look of the books. Some epublishers have books that look less than stellar when actually put in print, namely because the covers weren't really designed with print in mind. But Samhain, near as I can tell, was always meant to be both an epub and a print publisher, and the books were designed with that in mind.