• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Well, I sent off my polished full last night. Now to wait and see if Ms. Jackson likes the rest of it. LOL

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Curious minds want to know.

Has anyone talked to any authors that have already started getting royalty checks? If so are they satisfied with what they get paid.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just a comment here and there. They look on the high end of average for an epub in this area. I'd love to get some more figures.

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
That is better than I have heard about other small publishing companies. :) Hopefully it will grow to the high end of high.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I have pretty high confidence in them, based on two facts a) this publisher was started by someone who worked at Ellora's Cave, which is one of the best small publishers out there. EC has bookstore presence, which tells me that this person know how it worked over there and has experience in publishing. B) people have seen their books on bookstore shelves. They know what's involved and how to impress buyers, and have distribution. If they continue to grow, they're going to be one to watch.

They're one of my top picks. If Behler took MG books, that'd be my top pick. (oh, Lynn...)

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
I have submitted a query to them and they got back to me wanting to see a 5 page syposis and first 3 chapters. I'm just paranoid. I'm not saying I am looking to be famous, just want to live comfortable.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I have submitted a query to them and they got back to me wanting to see a 5 page synopsis and first 3 chapters. I'm just paranoid. I'm not saying I am looking to be famous, just want to live comfortable.

I just want my work accepted somewhere. :)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Samhain Publishing is also accepting submissions in all genres of fiction and non-fiction for publication in 2008.

~From their site.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I imagine their 2007 schedule is pretty much full now--well at least in the Romance/erotica genres. We signed a contract on our novel last...Nov, I think, and it's not even going to come out until the 2nd week of August this year.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them yesterday but I didn't recieve the auto response their site mentions...has everyone else gotten an auto response when submitting? Or am I worrying needlessly?

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I got my reply back this morning. They've decided to add me to their schedule for 2008. :D

Kristie: I did receive an auto-response on my initial submission, but not on the full.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I got my reply back this morning. They've decided to add me to their schedule for 2008. :D

Kristie: I did receive an auto-response on my initial submission, but not on the full.

Congrats!!! I'm happy for you!

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score

That is great, I'm so excited for you. How long did you have to wait before you knew their decision. And what was the auto-response. I recieved an email, asking for the 5 page snyopsis and first 3 chapters. Could that be my auto-response? I wonder since I was suppose to send them in the first place, something I over looked when I sumitted until they requested it.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
That is great, I'm so excited for you. How long did you have to wait before you knew thier decision. And what was the auto-response. I recieved an email, asking for the 5 page snyopsis and first 3 chapters. Could that be my auto-response? I wonder since I was suppose to send them in the first place, something I over looked when I sumitted until they requested it.

I got that one too, Glenda, but that's because I forgot to attach the synopsis. Doh! I didn't get another auto reply when I sent it back again.

Mon's reply was pretty quick; I'm hoping to hear something soon too! But then I have to wait on two other publishers who take three months...

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
One tiny note for those who may not have "Samhain" as part of their speaking vocabulary: The word is pronounced sow-wain.

Adding to this is off of Samhain's website is:

Pronounced sah-vin by the Scots, sow-in (sow like cow) by the Irish and sam-hine in English, Samhain is the Irish word for November and in November 2005 saw the opening of Samhain Publishing, Ltd. Founded with a goal of bringing to compulsive readers books that allow them to discover new worlds and be taken on adventures through the creative minds of today’s brightest authors.

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
I got that one too, Glenda, but that's because I forgot to attach the synopsis. Doh! I didn't get another auto reply when I sent it back again.

Mon's reply was pretty quick; I'm hoping to hear something soon too! But then I have to wait on two other publishers who take three months...

Same here, Christine. Nothing since. I have been talking to another author there and have got nothing but great answers to my questions.

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Thanks everyone! Yes, Christine, I'm VERY excited. I guess being too stupid, er stubborn, to quit has paid off.

That is great, I'm so excited for you. How long did you have to wait before you knew their decision.

I first submitted earlier this month and I received a reply asking for the full on the 17th. I heard back with an acceptance this morning, the 24th. I read their average response time though is 8-10 weeks.

Kristie911 said:
My g-mail shows it as a sent message but I did not recieve anything from Samhain at all.

Hmmmm...I wonder if I should try it again.

I would give it 2 weeks (which is how long my initial inquiry took) and if you don't hear back, you may wish email and ask if they received your submission. Just explain that you didn't get an auto-response and you were simply curious. I've had decent luck with those types of email inquiries. Good luck!!! :)

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
One tiny note for those who may not have "Samhain" as part of their speaking vocabulary: The word is pronounced sow-wain.

If we Celts could only learn to spell properly . . . .