Refurbished MacBook Pros with Retina Display showing up at the online Apple Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
If you're a penny pincher like me, you wait until the computer of your dream is available refurbished. You save a chunk and you get the same warranty. For me, it was the 15-inch MacBook Pro with the 2.3 GHz Core i7 chip.

If you have a hankerin' for the Retina display version, they're now showing up at store.apple.com . Click your way to the refurbished section and there they are.

Most "refurbished" Apple products are really "new open box" stock. Someone bought one or received it as a gift, then changed their mind after they opened the box but never powered it up. Apple can't sell it as new so it has to be sold as "refurbished".

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Is this is a new thing in the US? I think the UK store's being doing it for a while.

While I've heard most Apple refurbs are in good condition (and you've got all your usual legal rights to return if it's not), I'd be hesitant to say that most of them are new open box stock because that isn't promised anywhere in writing.

It looks like they use the same boilerplate text on both sides of the pond, "rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it's up to Apple's tough quality standards."

The refurb shop is awesome though, it's nice to be able to have a cheaper option while still dealing directly with Apple.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. I got my MacBook from a local dealer that sold it as a refurb; the person who bought it changed their mind after the logic board blew out and was replaced. It's been running smoothly since I got it almost two years ago.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display is far-and-away the best computer I have ever used, even with its quirks. I can't recommend it more.

Just make sure you max out the specs you need, as the memory isn't user-replaceable, so get 16 GB if you think you'll ever need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.