Star Wars Episode VII

JadeVarden

Registered
Reaction score
I strongly disagree. I hate Abrams to the deepest reaches of my soul. I'm beyond upset that he now has another franchise to destroy.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars can't sink any lower than Jar Jar Binks.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars can't sink any lower than Jar Jar Binks.

Don't tempt Fate, my friend. Anything can happen.

Interesting that JJ Abrams is now officially at the head of reboots to both sides one of the oldest sci-fi rivalries of all time.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly disagree. I hate Abrams to the deepest reaches of my soul. I'm beyond upset that he now has another franchise to destroy.

I don't hate Abrams. I enjoyed the Star Trek reboot. However, the Trek and Wars universes are very different and I have a huge problem with one man responsible for the future vision of both.

Not that it will stop me from seeing the movie when it drops.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
*bump*

If nobody minds, some time has passed since this was announced, and I'm feeling a little differently about it. To wit:

Pros:

1) Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer of The Empire Strikes Back--by far the most popular, successful, and critically acclaimed film in the entire franchise.
2) JJ Abrams as director--I liked the Star Trek reboots a lot.
3) Mark Hamill confirmed--role as The Joker proved he's a total badass and unlikely to let us down.
4) Bad Robot as one of the production houses--YMMV, but I've yet to see a movie by them I didn't enjoy.

Cons:

1) Distribution taken over by Disney--look what happened to John Carter.
2) JJ Abrams as director--I'm not as huge a fan of Star Trek so I don't know what he did to it exactly.
3) Harrison Ford confirmed--performance in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull proved he's either lost his mojo or doesn't care anymore.
4) Lucasfilm as the other production house--Episode I left a lot of people very, very angry, and a lot of us don't trust the brand anymore.

Conclusion:

Jury's still out. I've changed my expectation from "Do Not Want" to "Cautiously Optimistic." Also very curious about whether or not we'll get to see Mara Jade on-screen, or indeed whether this will follow the Expanded Universe at all. (But I still hate the Midichlorians. Haaaaaate.)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah.... I'm still pessimistic about it. I'm one of those that stll insist that the chronological order of the first 3 are the only ones worth bothering with. I refuse to acknowledge the rest. And I don't care what Lucas thinks.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Lucas is barely involved in this one. He's not even a producer--IMDB lists him as a "creative consultant" whatever that means. I was surprised when I read that.

ETA: Assuming you mean the original trilogy by "first 3," btw.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I think Patton Oswalt explains it better than I ever could...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Zmuoze65U
:ROFL:
Not directed at me, but still: midichlorians. Midi-fucking-chorians.
Yes. Very much the worst and most unnecessary addition to the universe.

That and the need to put every main character--except for Han Solo!--from the original three back into the prequels. I mean C3PO, R2D2, Chewbacca, AND Boba Fett?!?!? Really?!?!?!

But the Chewbacca introduction in Episode III bothers me most of all, I think.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed both Star Trek reboot movies a lot and Abrams can't possibly do worse then Lucas did with Episode I-III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI Harry Plinkett anyone?).
At least JJ get's his butt out of his chair once in a while.

Looking forward to it.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
^Lucas is barely involved in this one. He's not even a producer--IMDB lists him as a "creative consultant" whatever that means. I was surprised when I read that.

ETA: Assuming you mean the original trilogy by "first 3," btw.

Oh yes! Lucas can number them anyway he wants to. To me, those are the Star Wars trilogy. The other 3 are an abomination unto the gods.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Pros:

1) Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer of The Empire Strikes Back--by far the most popular, successful, and critically acclaimed film in the entire franchise.

This is a big one for me. That was an excellent script, no question. That kind of writing was one of the big things that was missing from the prequels.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score

Actually, I read that they're using the outlines that Lucas wrote for these next three films. I don't know what "creative consultant" means either, but they did an interview with his son Jett where he says that his dad has been calling JJ and Kathleen nonstop to give advice on Episode VII. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas is on set for most of the filming. It's not like he's doing anything else. :Shrug:

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed both Star Trek reboot movies a lot and Abrams can't possibly do worse then Lucas did with Episode I-III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI Harry Plinkett anyone?).
At least JJ get's his butt out of his chair once in a while.

Looking forward to it.
Red Letter Media's review for the prequels is the most detailed one on the net. I thought it was a bit bloated, though.

And I think the less input he has on the new trilogy, the better.