Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: IP Address

Sockpuppet

IP Address

My website keeps showing visits from an IP address that when I run it through Whosis says it is from Ottawa Canada sometimes or New York City on other occasions.

But the host provider lists the visit as coming from Redmond, WA and the Internet provider as Microsoft.

So is this Microsoft using some kind of bot that keeps hitting my site or what?

Curious only because I have queried agents in Ottawa and NYC and would like to know if they are checking me out or not.

Anyone know which data I should accept as accurate?

Scribbler SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    I dunno the answer, but my Microsoft Corp visits are from Beverly Hills, CA 90210

-Derek
    Check out Bunneh's MS Wish List site!
    Agent "want" tweets and word wars!

Check out my story in Timeless Tales Magazine's Perseus & Medusa issue!
    My web page! | My Sci-Fi webcomics!

Up to 90% of the visits to any website are various indexing bots, like Google and Bing (and a whole slew of Russian indexing bots). Since a lot of 'em have more than one data center, they can come from various IP addresses. To add to the confusion, some bots identify themselves as some browser version!
    Heavily armed, easily bored, and off the medication

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    In addition, if the agent(s) you are monitoring for are on a major service provider, or if they have staff researchers/agents/editors/interns working from other locations (like home) THEIR visit to your site could come from a variety of IP addresses, not restricted to a small geographic area.

So, the possibilities of accurate joy are perhaps not as high as the chances of false joy.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

"Murder at the Beach" -- Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We are writers; we own our words. Please choose yours to add light and not just heat."

And then there's IP addresses that aren't accurately mapped in the first place... I used to be on a fixed IP address that I got thru a little local ISP, who used AT&T as their pipe. For a long time my IP address mapped to 100 miles away and AT&T, not my actual ISP or location.

All that aside... nowadays I'd expect just about anyone in business to immediately google any prospect they were remotely interested in, so figure if you put something on a website, it WILL be seen.

BTW multiple repeat visits usually means it's a bot.
    Heavily armed, easily bored, and off the medication

Learning the craft Paperback Writer's Avatar
    It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
    Send me the ip via PM and I'll try to track it for you.