Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Evil Sisters

Action is my reward..that and bacon MttStrn's Avatar

Evil Sisters

A while back I asked for some help coming up with some examples in literature, film or mythology of sisters betraying their brothers. I got some good examples from people but unfortunately none really fit with what I needed.

I figured I'd expand a little bit and just go for examples of evil sisters. I find I cannot think of any good ones besides Morgana so any help would be greatly appreciated.

practical experience, FTW
    Do you mean evil sisters of good brothers or sisters, or just women who are sisters and are evil, regardless of the quality of their siblings?

Or are you asking about siblings betraying each other. Do they have to be 'evil'?

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    There's an awesome X-Files episode called 'Eve,' though as with the above posters' questions, I'm not exactly sure if it's what you're looking for.

Chris Carter ended up a mess, but his devotion to writing actually full-on homicidal or evil kids and to offing kids onscreen was admirable, imo. Just as most people shy away from it, even if they feel it fits the story.

practical experience, FTW benbenberi's Avatar
    Ballads are full of evil sisters. In "The Two Sisters," frex, the older sister pushes the younger into the river and watches her drown (& that's just the beginning -- in at least 1 version, musicians find the drowned body and make a harp of the bones and hair, & the skeleton harp tells the story of how she died). Folklore & "fairy tales" are also full of evil sisters (again, it's often an elder sister who is jealous of a younger & does something dreadful to her, more rarely the other way round).

Action is my reward..that and bacon MttStrn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lbender View Post
    Do you mean evil sisters of good brothers or sisters, or just women who are sisters and are evil, regardless of the quality of their siblings?
    basically this, but let me set up why I need it.

This is a YA mystery. My MC is looking into the death of a schoolmate. He finds a name written down in the schoolmate's notes (the name I am looking for but don't have yet). He spends some time looking for this person but never finds her. Cut to the end when you find that the schoolmate's sister killed her brother because he found out what she was involved in. The MC knows what happened but has no evidence. But he ends up with the schoolmates' computer and finds encrypted files on it but needs a password to unlock and he'll find evidence of what the sister was involved in. I want the password to be the evil sister name I am looking for since it unlocks files proving the bad things his sister did.

re-reading that I'm not sure how clear that it but it's the best I can do. T

practical experience, FTW Sunflowerrei's Avatar
    Briony Tallis in Atonement by Ian McEwan did something that could be construed as evil to her older sister Cecilia (well, really, to the love of Cecilia's life). And Scarlett O'Hara wasn't very nice to her sisters, was she?
    Pearl is now available on Amazon.

Current Projects: Novel, Victorian London/modern day New York.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

King Arthur's sister Morgaine?

EDIT: Oh snap, I should read further. Never mind.
    Last edited by Friendly Frog; 01-29-2013 at 12:50 AM.

The two ugly ones?
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

Mentoring Myself and Others Debbie V's Avatar
    Aren't there sisters in Wicked?

knows a hawk from a handsaw Shakesbear's Avatar
    King Lear's daughters Goneril and Regan - Cordelia is the youngest and 'goodest' of the daughters. They are all dead at the end of the play.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
    A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah Komnena's Avatar
    Firebird by Kathy tyers
    Komnena
    new messterpiece 2503 words

Sounds a bit like Pretty Little Liars. And your second post doesn't make me think the sister is 'evil' so much as either desparate or frightened. A person doesn't have to be evil to do something people might consider evil.

What was the sister doing that made her kill her brother when he got too close? Heck, the brother could've been the 'evil' one in this case.