Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've got a coupon for Coldstone Creamery (nom) so I'm getting a small cake from them tonight.

My excuse is that I'm baking 4 dozen Christmas cookies tonight for Saturday's book signing. :D

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
And then an extra 4 dozen for all of us purgies, right Lily? RIGHT? :D

I need my Christmas cookie fix, it's been a month and a half already!

Results are in: Cakes are out of the oven, looking good. Not burned or sunken or awful or anything. Victory!

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Hi ever' body!!! Thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday!!!

My boyfriend (also known as Cat's Meow) took the day off from work and cooked me breakfast and lunch while I worked. (He took the day off from WORK!) Then he took me and my daughter out for dinner. He also got me a bottle of champagne and made me a cake. It was kind of like ...wow.

So it was a pretty nice birthday! Although it would have been better if I didn't have two deadlines Friday. AAAA THAT'S TOMORROWW!!!!!

Another thing that would be good is if I didn't get hooked on G@me of Thr0nes while procrastinating on Monday. Now all I can think is I really wanna watch it!!! There is no boss here to make me work on my work instead!!! I could be watching it right now!!! No BOSS!!!

Oh, that's right. Except me. I'm the boss! *lip trembles*

*cries because it is hard being a grown up*
*cries because there is a full bottle of champagne in fridge and also cake*
*cries because I have to work instead of just getting drunk eating cake and watching crazy show about thrones and incest and hot ladies*

There, now I feel better. I can always cry to you guys :D

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
One of our major systems has gone down, and taken our IM & email with it.

S'ok, I didn't want to do any work anyway.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Kris, what a birthday! Sorry you have to be a grownup today.

Lily, is VT set at Christmas? Why Christmas cookies?

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
If people have news for June or July, and you think I should pitch about it, will you let me know?

I try to check your sigs for release dates, and I check the AW calendar. But just if you think of anything AWESOME you're doing, I'm always pitching the magazines (when I'm not procrastinating and watching G@me of Thr0nes)

OL, I already pitched a few things about H0ur of the R@t... fingers crossed.

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, my AW banner ad today includes an ad for VT! :) Quite nice!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Kris - Sounds like a great birthday!:D

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KRIS!!!! :snoopy:

Steals.

Fire and Red,
laugh3-smiley.gif

Happy Love Day, purgies!
love-shower-smiley.gif
Remember, chocolate calories don't count today. ;)

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Oh, that's right. Except me. I'm the boss! *lip trembles*

*cries because it is hard being a grown up*
*cries because there is a full bottle of champagne in fridge and also cake*
*cries because I have to work instead of just getting drunk eating cake and watching crazy show about thrones and incest and hot ladies*

There, now I feel better. I can always cry to you guys :D

If you're anything like me, you'll power through to your deadlines, then spend the weekend in a cake/champagne haze doping yourself on royal incest and Peter Dinklage. (Who I think is a great actor, but I still think it was a terrible mistake to cast him as Jack Reacher. Ya know?)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Kris, happy belated birthday.

Red and Fire, lol!

I'm a sappy romantic, but I still hate V-Day. I like my romantic gestures to be spontaneous. Plus, our anniversary is next week. Being the super-with-it people we both are, I made plans to go to ballet class and she made plans to have dinner with a guy friend before we both realized it was V-Day. Oh, well. (Insert joke here about how I'd rather be at the barre than the bar?)

I hope everyone's celebrations go wonderfully, though, if you do have romantic plans! Love is great. :)

Elisabetta

Watching the world go by
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethloupas.com
Red and Fire--Hee!

Mass-market edition of The F1ower R3ader released today in the UK. UK Purgies, check Tesc0 and W.H. Sm1th's, where it's supposed to be. Not exactly a book fort, but a book bed for Cressie, here on my blog:

Cressie Reading in Bed

We're putting off our Valentine's Day until the weekend. Well, other than the chocolate. Have to have the chocolate on time. :)

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
If you're anything like me, you'll power through to your deadlines, then spend the weekend in a cake/champagne haze doping yourself on royal incest and Peter Dinklage

This is, in fact, precisely The Plan.

*eyes Red suspiciously*
*changes passwords to secret Master Plan files*

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
If people have news for June or July, and you think I should pitch about it, will you let me know?

I try to check your sigs for release dates, and I check the AW calendar. But just if you think of anything AWESOME you're doing, I'm always pitching the magazines (when I'm not procrastinating and watching G@me of Thr0nes)

Liiiike... what kinda stuff? Like I'm having a book signing with bouncy houses and cotton candy? Cuz I'm not.

If you're anything like me, you'll power through to your deadlines, then spend the weekend in a cake/champagne haze doping yourself on royal incest and Peter Dinklage. (Who I think is a great actor, but I still think it was a terrible mistake to cast him as Jack Reacher. Ya know?)

Okay, I am major sickie today and I am sitting here trying to figure out the connection between Dinklage and Jack Reacher. Can someone please just explain this joke to me?

Jo, whose sinuses are about to explode.

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Liiiike... what kinda stuff? Like I'm having a book signing with bouncy houses and cotton candy? Cuz I'm not.

well for most of youse guys what i mean is, like, book release dates or things like that.

let me give a lengthy and dull explanation of my working process. *waits while everyone gets comfortable enough to doze off*

i write for various magazines, and sometimes get frantic emails from editors like "to all my writers! we need newsy pitches for the (issue that is three months away)! send us your pitches by noon tomorrow!" then i check the little file i keep on all of you... just kididng, it sounds creepy when i say it like that.

anyway, and other times it's more like me sitting at my desk, "hmm, i have a deadline, but while procrastinating, let me send some cold pitches! yes, let me send pitches to the magazines that are one step up and that i dreeeeamm of writing for." in that case, too, i check my little files for things that would be zingy to pitch.

in cold pitches, it's always better to give a three month lead time for major magazines... that way you look like a smarty and like you know the biz.

so sometimes i ask in purgatory, "does anyone have a major news event in three months?" hoping for the scoop!

lastly, in life, it is always more fun, when you have the power to spread good things via your chosen work, to give those good things to people you know and like.

and the sole good thing which my work allows me to give, is free publicity!

and a lot of times i don't get to give it to the people i think truly deserve it, because editors DEMAND that i write about good-looking, empty-headed men CONSTANTLY (ha) and most of the deserving people i know are actually good-looking, non-empty-headed women or non-empty headed men (like in Purgatory).

boy, am I rambling or what?

i will probably delete this whole thing due to the tongue in cheek tone which i have now decided is not working! get me rewrite.

the red PROCRASTINATING alert on my desk is beeping like mad! gotta go!

Last edited:

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
oh, good! then maybe i won't delete.

i often pitch stuff about purgatorians. you guys are my faves.

i need to break into some new mags though, where i can write about books more.

boy, i have a really bad case of procrastination today. and it's funny, because it's a really interesting article i'm working on.

like, sometimes it's something really boring so i have some excuse.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com

If it weren't for the dirty feet smell of bouncy castles, I think I would totally do this for my next book signing. Which makes it sound like I did a book signing for the last book, but I didn't. Anyway, stinky feet smell renders Jo's brilliant idea moot.

Okay, I am major sickie today and I am sitting here trying to figure out the connection between Dinklage and Jack Reacher. Can someone please just explain this joke to me?

It's my not too subtle dig at the way too short actor who WAS cast as Jack Reacher.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
If it weren't for the dirty feet smell of bouncy castles, I think I would totally do this for my next book signing. Which makes it sound like I did a book signing for the last book, but I didn't. Anyway, stinky feet smell renders Jo's brilliant idea moot.

Our church is currently meeting in this giant old Circuit City building, and the kids area is the warehouse. They bought a couple of used bouncy castles/obstacle courses and have them running every Sunday. BEST. THING. EVER. If we had room in the back yard I would buy one just so Sharkbite would take a nap every day. :)

It's my not too subtle dig at the way too short actor who WAS cast as Jack Reacher.

OHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh. Yes. I am slow. Also quite smitten with Tyrion (as played by Dinklage, no thank you to the book version) and unable to mentally compare him with Mr. Creepy Cruise. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I forgot--I blame Tas for messing with my dreams last night.

I dreamed I was back in HS. :chair My brain apparently wanted to mollify the badness of this dream, and in the dream, I was cast as Christine in the school's production of Phantom. Logic asserted itself in the dream, and I told the director that she'd have to transpose all Christine's songs a third lower. And they did! Totally a dream, that. :tongue

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Kid is on her plane, the cat who hates me is glaring from under the table, I've attended a meeting and hit three stores on small errands, and I wrote a thousand words. Can today be over now? I'm tired.

Maryn, who never naps

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, you're allowed to take a nap

*sigh* in addition to many other things, Mr. Amarie is having one of those bad travel days. He is in Regina, Canada, got on the plane this morning, then they sat there for awhile and had to get off because there was something wrong with oxygen line to the cockpit. Airline flew an empty plane up for passengers. They finally got on and then had to get off because flaps stopped working. Now they've just told passengers they will have to rebook on other flights. This is why I don't know what we'd do if I didn't have the flexibility to change around my schedule whenever things like this happen.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Elisabetta, congratulations on the PB release, and OMD, that photo...the CUUUTE!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KRIS!!!! I have no doubt you'll wrap up that work stuff in no time and get to the important business of celebrating!

(also, thanks for thinking of me! It means a lot)

Status
Not open for further replies.